AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Last Night - Ruthie Knox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: About Last Night - Ruthie Knox Reply with quote

I got the same suggestion from Amazon for liking Sarah Mayberry too and was kind of wondering about this book and author. She's an author Id never heard anything whatsoever about before so Im most grateful Pat, for taking Amazon up on their suggestion and reviewing this book. From your review and your grade, Im going to give this one a read too now. So a hearty thanks to you, I love finding new-to-me authors.
kim76

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this one and immediately bought Ride With Me. Definitely the first new contemporary author to excite me since I discovered Sarah Mayberry and Julie James.

I thought the sex scenes were brilliant in ALN, and the author maintained the sexual tension between the couple throughout. The big confrontation at the end almost had me in tears. Really powerful stuff.
Winnie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered it for my Kindle - only $2.99.
Minerva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book has been following me around and popping up on lots of "If you like..." I was in in the middle of a disappointing read last week, so I impulsively bought this.

About Last Night is a great, fun read. I finished it in one sitting. I love Nev and Cath. For me this is a perfect summer read - quick, fulfilling, and I finished with a smile on my face.

I highly recommend this!
LFL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: About Last Night - Ruthie Knox Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
I got the same suggestion from Amazon for liking Sarah Mayberry too and was kind of wondering about this book and author. She's an author Id never heard anything whatsoever about before so Im most grateful Pat, for taking Amazon up on their suggestion and reviewing this book. From your review and your grade, Im going to give this one a read too now. So a hearty thanks to you, I love finding new-to-me authors.

I read this a few weeks ago after seeing it reviewed around the blogosphere and mentioned favorably on Twitter. I enjoyed it a whole lot, which only rarely happens to me with straight contemporaries (it is not my favorite genre). My grade for it is the same as Pat's (B+). I think you will like it, Kristie -- it's got a really sweet and sexy hero.

I'm now really looking forward to Knox's debut, Ride with Me, which I've also heard good things about.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: About Last Night - Ruthie Knox Reply with quote

I picked this up after reading the blog here at AAR about 2012 debut authors and really enjoyed it. The writing reminded me a little of an older Megan Hart. Nice review. I am also looking forward to trying Ride With Me.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am half way through ALN and I am really enjoying it. I LOVE Nev! Has anyone read her other book Ride with Me?
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
I am half way through ALN and I am really enjoying it. I LOVE Nev! Has anyone read her other book Ride with Me?

I did. It was a rec on dearauthor - I ended up liking it a lot. It ends a bit abruptly but is definitely worth reading.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished ALN last night and strongly recommend it. @2.99 how can you go wrong. Down loaded RWM last night and look forward to reading it. Hope we get more from Ms. Knox soon!
Kaia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this after the positive reviews here and on DA. Read ALN on Saturday afternoon and RWM Sunday afternoon. I almost never read 2 books in a row by the same author, but I loved Knox's characters and writing so much I couldn't stop myself Smile

I was also reminded of Julie James and Sarah Mayberry, both auto-buy authors for me. I really like how their female characters always seem to be modern and true to their age. Not a 26 going on 40 year old...
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished ABOUT LAST NIGHT last night (I couldn't resist). What a WONDERFUL romance! I am soooo glad that I read the review and bought it. You're right, Pwm in mi, how can you go wrong at $2.99? It is worth many times that.

What I LOVED:

1. The hero. I LOVED him because he was so consistently loving and such a good man. It's hard to portray a good man, a patient man because his goodness, restraint, understanding, and patience can make him seem boring or actually weak, willing to put up with any bad behavior from the heroine. But because Nev is so honorable, and yet he has flaws himself (redeemed by his quick recognition of his inadequate responses), that he seems perfect, without being boring.

2. The heroine has led a very difficult life when she made a number of very young, disastrous mistakes. She does not trust her instincts or her attraction to Nev, figuring that she was so wrong in the past, that the only way to live is by isolating herself from men especially. Thanks to Nev, by the end of the book, she still sees her mistakes, but she also realizes that getting through the terrible times meant that she also had strength, intelligence, and resilience. Knox shows the enormous gulf between who she thinks she is verses who she really is.

The only thing I wished for was for Nev to sock his smarmy brother and for an epilogue. I wanted more of the two of them, together and happy. Both these deficits prevented this from getting an A grade, but by just a tad.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this one now myself and what a treat it was. I loved Nev too. While Beta heroes aren't always as exciting as Alpha, Nev was just delicious. And I also really liked the character of Cath. While I thought she was nuts for constantly turning Nev down, the author wrote her in such a way that instead of wanting to smack her, we could really sympathize with her.

Quote:
The only thing I wished for was for Nev to sock his smarmy brother and for an epilogue.

I would have liked that too *g*. I'm glad I when I bought About Last Night, I got Ride with Me too. I like the way this author writes.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Ride with Me today. Not as good as ALN but a decent read. Still am looking forward to Ms. Knox's next release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: