AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, So Disappointed in June's Offerings, But. . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Oh, So Disappointed in June's Offerings, But. . . Reply with quote

When I read that FOUR of my favorite authors were having books come out in June, I just about danced around the room. Chase, Hoyt, Long AND Phillips? Oh, my! Oh, my. Alas, if I had done so, I would have wasted a good dance.

I started with Sherry Thomas’s irrelevantly-entitled RAVISHING THE HEIRESS which did keep my interest, but unfortunately, ultimately, did not finally deliver. When a hero is a bastard to the heroine, even if it’s somehow “not his fault,” I wanted much more of a payoff and more than the paltry few pages of the couple final happiness, after hundreds of pages of angst.

I have tried to get into Hoyt's book, THIEF OF SHADOWS, but I keep putting it down. My sister gave it a 5 (out of 10), but because she hasn't read the whole series, I was hoping that I might like it more. I've been reading this thing for three days and am seriously considering not finishing it. Maybe I've just read Hoyt too much and her books are too much like the millions of other romances I've read, except hers are nominally set in the slums. Winter is devoted to his orphanage, and certainly, he lives his creed, but there's something missing about him. . . an intensity, maybe? And Isabel just seems blah. I know I'm in trouble when the only time I have perked up was with a few pages of a minor character who has fallen in love with a bounder (I think). I don't know, maybe I'll actually finish it. but when a book doesn’t speak to me after I've read over half, it never does.

I got Susan Elizabeth Phillip's new one, THE GREAT ESCAPE from the library and am having a hard time with the bastard of a hero who says such hurtful, cutting remarks to the heroine that I'm not sure I really want to continue. At what point does a hero become unredeemable? At what point is a book just not fun? It sure isn't, yet. I haven't noticed much discussion of this book here, never a good sign.

I'm waiting for Chase's new one (SCANDAL WEARS SATIN) from the library; I didn't much care for the last one, so I didn't buy this one. I am desperately hoping that I'll like it.

Thanks to comments on AAR, though, I have loved a couple of new (to me) authors: Kristen Ashley (a guilty pleasure) and Ruth Knox. Not the same old, same old.

Thanks to the glowing review here, I got OVERSEAS from the library and have read about a quarter of it. I like it, mainly because the hero is truly a gentleman. He has a formality, a decency, a care for the woman's reputation and comfort that romance heroes generally lack in this day where the term gentleman is outdated, along, unfortunately, with their behavior and attitude.

Last edited by Lynda X on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oh, So Disappointed in June's Offerings, But. . . Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
When I read that FOUR of my favorite authors were having books come out in June, I just about danced around the room. Chase, Hoyt, Long AND Phillips? Oh, my! Oh, my. Alas, if I had done so, I would have wasted a good dance.

I started with Long’s irrelevantly-entitled RAVISHING THE HEIRESS which did keep my interest, but unfortunately, ultimately, did not finally deliver. When a hero is a bastard to the heroine, even if it’s somehow “not his fault,” I wanted much more of a payoff and more than the paltry few pages of the couple final happiness, after hundreds of pages of angst.

I think you mean Sherry Thomas, not Julie Anne Long.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Natalie. I went back and edited so now my comments have the correct author.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: