AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Best deflowering scenes in romance novels???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
My favorite deflowered scene is between Jamie and Claire in Outlander. The "deflowered" one was of course, the hero. I know I've read countless scenes with female virgins, but this scene stands out from the others. Smile


Jamie's first time, loved it!

As yet too hungry and clumsy for tenderness, still he made love with a sort of unflagging joy that made me think that male virginity might be a highly underrated commodity.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:


As yet too hungry and clumsy for tenderness, still he made love with a sort of unflagging joy that made me think that male virginity might be a highly underrated commodity.

Linda



Absolutely! I always thought Gabaldon nailed it with that scene. (Ha! no pun intended)
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PWNN



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 912

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite that stands out Adrian & Justine in Bourne's Black Hawk. Justine's been raped and was a child prostitute but this is truly her first time making love and Adrian is just marvelous with her. Beautiful scene.

Most amusing de-flowering - Jo Beverly - Dark Champion. Imogen has the hymen from hell but Fitzroger is infinitely patient.
_________________
"My safe word is monkey"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordRose



Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Most amusing de-flowering - Jo Beverly - Dark Champion. Imogen has the hymen from hell but Fitzroger is infinitely patient.


That book got... A bit odd at the sex scenes (or attempts at them, anyway.) Especially when he started on about how she was possessed by demons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
limagal



Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 94
Location: lima, peru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this question a difficult one to answer as most of the romances I read (historical) have very sensitive heroes who are just so eager to make the heroines first time a wonderful experience,. They try to "go slowly", even though they have to hold it back, they pause when fully emerged to let her get used to it before moving again, etc etc etc. Therefore, I would say that there would just be too many books with almost identical scenes to be able to mention them. The question should really be, Do many men like this exist?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
My favorite deflowered scene is between Jamie and Claire in Outlander. The "deflowered" one was of course, the hero. I know I've read countless scenes with female virgins, but this scene stands out from the others. Smile


I'm with xina on this one. I remember the hero virgins more. Love them!

Noah - His Second Hand Wife by Cheryl St.John
Sin- Born in sin-kinley mcgregor
and I'm sure I'm probably wrong on this but for some reason I think
Will Parker from Morming Glory so yummy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordRose



Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a side product of reading mostly historicals, but I am rather tired of virgin heroines everywhere. Especially since so very often authors get their facts wrong.

1. The hymen is at the entrance of the vagina, not somewhere in middle. No one should be ripping through anything during sex.

2. The hymen already has holes in it. Otherwise, how would you get menstrual blood? Over time, the opening will increase in size naturally.

3. It is not really possible for anyone to determine whether someone is a virgin by having sex with them/examining their hymen. Some people are born without them or very little, and others have their hymens remain intact through sex and even childbirth.

4. Less than 50% of women bleed during their first time. This figure was probably higher hundreds of years ago, since women now live more active lives, use tampons, etc., but still. Considering how much care the heroes in romance novels usually take with foreplay, I'd actually expect less blood and pain.

Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons that virgin heroines often annoy me.

(Also, innocence does not equal virginity. One can very easily be one and not the other.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
erika



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 507

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen as many virgin heroines compared to a few years ago. So I don't think they're everywhere especialy not in contemporaries even Harlequins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:


I'm with xina on this one. I remember the hero virgins more. Love them!

Noah - His Second Hand Wife by Cheryl St.John
Sin- Born in sin-kinley mcgregor
and I'm sure I'm probably wrong on this but for some reason I think
Will Parker from Morming Glory so yummy!


Yes, the virgin heroes are more memorable to me too. Another one....The Outlaw and the Lady by Lorraine Heath.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina, thanks for the heads up! I think I may have this book in my TBR stack! Yeah!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Xina, thanks for the heads up! I think I may have this book in my TBR stack! Yeah!



Love this book. There is a little twist in it too. I can't remember if it is a spoiler or not, so I won't mention it. I feel a reread coming on!
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmredd



Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 218
Location: washington state

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Two stand out for me: Loretta Chase's LORD OF SCOUNDRELS in which our rake of a hero, who limits himself to prostitutes for unencumbered reasons, has never deflowered a woman and he is paralyzed by fear that he'll damage the heroine. Very romantic.

The other is Sharon and Tom Curtis's WINDFLOWER. This scene is not really shown, but it's the only often realistic scene I've read where the heroine is not enamored with sex after her first experience. I loved the hero and heroine of this book (he's a great combination of tenderness and suspicion and she's innocent and kind of reckless--it is far better than it sounds). It's been decades since I've read it, and it may not hold up. Anyone read it more recently that could comment?
That is my all time favorite book!! I'm still upset that Cat and Morgan didn't get their own book. Wouldn't they make great heros?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmredd



Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 218
Location: washington state

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the ONLY thing I didn't like about "Fifty Shades" is the way he made love to her the first. I wonder if I'm the only one who was bothered by that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amanda DeWees



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRose wrote:
This is probably a side product of reading mostly historicals, but I am rather tired of virgin heroines everywhere. Especially since so very often authors get their facts wrong.

1. The hymen is at the entrance of the vagina, not somewhere in middle. No one should be ripping through anything during sex.

2. The hymen already has holes in it. Otherwise, how would you get menstrual blood? Over time, the opening will increase in size naturally.

3. It is not really possible for anyone to determine whether someone is a virgin by having sex with them/examining their hymen. Some people are born without them or very little, and others have their hymens remain intact through sex and even childbirth.

4. Less than 50% of women bleed during their first time. This figure was probably higher hundreds of years ago, since women now live more active lives, use tampons, etc., but still. Considering how much care the heroes in romance novels usually take with foreplay, I'd actually expect less blood and pain.

Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons that virgin heroines often annoy me.

(Also, innocence does not equal virginity. One can very easily be one and not the other.)


I participated recently in a very illuminating discussion in a different group, in which it emerged that some posters' first times had been painless, so they always thought romances with traumatic deflowering scenes were absurd, whereas those whose first times were painful thought that painless deflowering scenes were ridiculously idealized. I think it was revelatory for all of us! As well informed as we thought we were, most of us really didn't get how different first-time experiences could be--regardless of the care and tenderness of the lover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LordRose



Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda DeWees wrote:
LordRose wrote:
This is probably a side product of reading mostly historicals, but I am rather tired of virgin heroines everywhere. Especially since so very often authors get their facts wrong.

1. The hymen is at the entrance of the vagina, not somewhere in middle. No one should be ripping through anything during sex.

2. The hymen already has holes in it. Otherwise, how would you get menstrual blood? Over time, the opening will increase in size naturally.

3. It is not really possible for anyone to determine whether someone is a virgin by having sex with them/examining their hymen. Some people are born without them or very little, and others have their hymens remain intact through sex and even childbirth.

4. Less than 50% of women bleed during their first time. This figure was probably higher hundreds of years ago, since women now live more active lives, use tampons, etc., but still. Considering how much care the heroes in romance novels usually take with foreplay, I'd actually expect less blood and pain.

Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons that virgin heroines often annoy me.

(Also, innocence does not equal virginity. One can very easily be one and not the other.)


I participated recently in a very illuminating discussion in a different group, in which it emerged that some posters' first times had been painless, so they always thought romances with traumatic deflowering scenes were absurd, whereas those whose first times were painful thought that painless deflowering scenes were ridiculously idealized. I think it was revelatory for all of us! As well informed as we thought we were, most of us really didn't get how different first-time experiences could be--regardless of the care and tenderness of the lover.


Mostly what I meant is that of all the romance novels I've read, I'd say about 99% of the virgin heroines bled after their first time, regardless of the amount of pain, which has always struck me as silly and just a way to prove that the heroine had truly been a virgin. (And the lack of blood and pain always seems to lead to a big mis with the hero accusing the heroine of not being a virgin.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group