AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cover Cafe contest - results are in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Cover Cafe contest - results are in Reply with quote

See which covers won and read the comments:

http://www.covercafe.com/contest/2011/ccc-res11.html
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised none of the comments for One Thousand Kisses in AR mentioned that the lights look like an astronomical photo of stars and a nebula. That was part of what appealed to me.
JyLnC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark ~ I have to admit I didn't think stars when I looked at OTK until I read your comment. Since we don't use all of the voter comments in the commentaries, I went back and checked the AR comments for One Thousand Kisses. And you are correct, no one mentioned stars or the nebula. It was all about romance, sparkles, fey magic, the kiss, and the colors...no one noticed the stars.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...wow. Chain of Kisses... Shocked
willaful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My votes always seemed to be in 6th place. Laughing
JyLnC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme - Yes, WOW.

Willaful - At least you're consistent. Wink My favorites seldom finish in first place but they don't finish in one specific position either. I am happy if my favorites make the top ten which is difficult to do. However, I voted for The Perfect Play this year which came in first in CO. Very Happy

Linnae
willaful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JyLnC wrote:
NoirFemme - Yes, WOW.

Willaful - At least you're consistent. Wink My favorites seldom finish in first place but they don't finish in one specific position either. I am happy if my favorites make the top ten which is difficult to do. However, I voted for The Perfect Play this year which came in first in CO. Very Happy

Linnae

And I would happily have nominated that for worst cover, had I but thought of it! I know I'm the only person in the world turned off by that cover.
LordRose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
JyLnC wrote:
NoirFemme - Yes, WOW.

Linnae

And I would happily have nominated that for worst cover, had I but thought of it! I know I'm the only person in the world turned off by that cover.

Not true! I don't like it, either.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's different when one considers the cover as a stand alone entity versus an integral part of the book.

When considered as a part of the book, I still think the Chain of Kisses skin is quite a good cover. Yes, I would find it mortifying to be seen in public reading a book with that cover. However, upon hypothetically picking it up, I think the cover would honestly tell me about the story inside. (Note: I've only read the excerpt, which comes with an under 18 disclaimer and doesn't remotely meet the Hays Code.)

For a bad cover when considered as a part of the whole work, I'd nominate Harlequin's cover of Ms. Kelly's wonderful Marriage of Mercy. Book: heroine has straight hair; cover: heroine has curly hair. Book: hero has reddish-gold hair, cover: hero has black hair. For the bulk of the romance, the H&h wear the workaday clothing of the common people, but on the cover they're decked out in Regency finery. And, worst of all, the back blurb describes an entirely different story than the one inside! In short, the cover dishonestly represents the work.

Best,
Lilly
JyLnC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily - I agree that when the cover doesn't match the story inside....it's an automatic worst for many readers (including me). However, unless the contest voter has read the book, the faux pas isn't always apparent to the naked eye. The cover may even have a great layout and voters may question why it was even nominated for Worst.

We've had nominations submitted because of that reason and often they don't make it to the finals unless the cover has other mistakes that are easily seen.

In the case of "Chain of Kisses". It was the female's costume that landed the cover in first place. Most people zeroed in on the "bra" she was wearing and how in the heck it stayed on. Wink

Linnae
www.covercafe.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: