AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Dawn - I'm so mad at author Sandra Brown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I read both SB books the year they were published. At the time I had no hot buttons so I recall not being overly bothered by the hero's death. Now I won't go near either books. I like a H/h hea to stay hea in any sequel.

Just have to point out: Ross was not the hero of Another Dawn; he was the heroine's father. As Tee noted, he had a fairly long and happy life before he was killed.

Tee, thanks for affirming my decision.

Kay
PWNN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly long? Wasn't he in his early 50s? Not exactly a long life.

Someone told me the plot point of killing off Ross read as a way to show that the hero could prove he loved the daughter not the mother who was now available since he'd loved her in the previous book. To me it sounds like an all around non appealing scenario.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the original poster! These were my first and last books by Sandra Brown.
erika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
erika wrote:
I read both SB books the year they were published. At the time I had no hot buttons so I recall not being overly bothered by the hero's death. Now I won't go near either books. I like a H/h hea to stay hea in any sequel.

Just have to point out: Ross was not the hero of Another Dawn; he was the heroine's father. As Tee noted, he had a fairly long and happy life before he was killed.

Tee, thanks for affirming my decision.

Kay

I haven't read it since the late 80's so details are fuzzy about timeline in the second book. Anyways his death then didn't bother me.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens sometimes in mystery series. I stopped reading Elizabeth George and Karin Slaughter when they killed off the spouses of their main characters. EG was my favorite author up until that point; I cried when Helen died and never read another word she wrote. I enjoyed KS but how much unhappiness needs to happen in one person's life? Seriously, her h couldn't catch a break in anything. I am careful now to check before I buy - John Sandford once said something in an interview about killing Lucas's family - and I just could not read that. I think mystery writers want to take their characters in new directions, but readers get invested in series' characters. It's a risk to kill them off.
LordRose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I don't like reading generational books. Especially if it gets to three or more generations, the original hero and heroine are often dead. Even if they did lead long and fulfilling lives, I still don't want to read books set in a world where beloved characters have died.

Epilogues where the hero and heroine are dead are also hugely annoying. I read one book recently where the epilogue was from the perspective of the main characters' granddaughter, and she said her grandparents had died after living well into their eighties. One, I calculated the ages and they wouldn't have been past their seventies, and two, why not just leave them alive? I had enjoyed the book, but the epilogue kind of ruined things for me. Another book ended with a passage about how the house was ever after filled with the happy ghosts of the characters. Okay, I guess, but still a kind of depressing way to end a book. (Now that I think about it, all of these books were by Anne Stuart...)
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Sandra Brown wanted to prove to the readers that Jake loves Banner more than her mom Lydia (heroine in first book)she could have done it another way. With Ross (hero in first book) dead we're supposed to wonder if Jake and Lydia will run off together. Poor Ross. Sandra Brown sacrificed you to prove a point.

The last few chapters of Another Dawn were the worst I've read in a romance.

*Ross is shot and killed in cold blood in his front yard on Jake and Banners wedding day.
*Jake looses his best friend Ross.
*Banner watches her dad get killed.
*Lydia and Lee are so sad that they ride off to Tennessee because they don't want to stay with all the memories off Ross.
*With Lee leaving for Tennessee Micah is loosing his best friend.
*Ma is sad and will miss Lydia and Lee.

Where's the HEA for these characters? Your dads dead, your mom & brother have left town. Oh, but you got your man Jake.
I hated the ending. Awful and depressing.

Last edited by Viking Princess on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Sandra Brown could un-kill Ross like author Sandra Hill did to Selik and Rain the hero and heroine in The Outlaw Viking. In the sequel book The Viking's Captive she killed them off from disease or something in their old age. Sandra Hill said that she got so much negative fan mail that she decided to un-kill them when another publisher bought her books and asked if she wanted to make any changes. She said "yes" that she wanted to un-kill those two characters. So now Selik and Rain are happy and alive and well in The Viking's Captive.

Maybe this could happen to poor Ross.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRose wrote:
Epilogues where the hero and heroine are dead are also hugely annoying. I read one book recently where the epilogue was from the perspective of the main characters' granddaughter, and she said her grandparents had died after living well into their eighties. One, I calculated the ages and they wouldn't have been past their seventies, and two, why not just leave them alive? I had enjoyed the book, but the epilogue kind of ruined things for me. Another book ended with a passage about how the house was ever after filled with the happy ghosts of the characters. Okay, I guess, but still a kind of depressing way to end a book.

But we do know that all those historical fictional characters we read about and love cannot still be alive today. Sooner or later... Smile
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

But we do know that all those historical fictional characters we read about and love cannot still be alive today. Sooner or later... Smile

Yes..exactly. Smile I read more like a realist..I guess. And I came to the romance genre really, really late, so I don't mind if something goes haywire outside the very small box that romance novels come compacted in. Thinking of death and all in romance novels, Julia London's book, The Secret Lover has a heart wrenching epilogue where the elderly hero walks down to the pond where his love (the heroine) and he had spent many happy times. She has since died and he tells her he will join her soon. Or something like that. It was lovely, and very different. She had died, he missed her and knew his days were numbered. Very beautiful.
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I'm just not ready to say a final goodbye to the hero and heroine I just got to know and love. I'm not ready to let them go at the end of the book. It just seems too soon. When I close that book I want to feel that warm and fuzzy feeling. The End...sigh.

Last edited by Viking Princess on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
LordRose wrote:
Epilogues where the hero and heroine are dead are also hugely annoying. I read one book recently where the epilogue was from the perspective of the main characters' granddaughter, and she said her grandparents had died after living well into their eighties. One, I calculated the ages and they wouldn't have been past their seventies, and two, why not just leave them alive? I had enjoyed the book, but the epilogue kind of ruined things for me. Another book ended with a passage about how the house was ever after filled with the happy ghosts of the characters. Okay, I guess, but still a kind of depressing way to end a book.

Smile Speak for yourself. When it comes to romance novels I am living in permanent denial-land where all my favorite heroes and heroines never die.

Look, of course I know that for example even the most awesome and awe inspiring hero like Heyer's Avon eventually shuffled off into the great beyond. But I don't want some dumb epilogue or a sequel book that rubs my face in that.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Smile Speak for yourself. When it comes to romance novels I am living in permanent denial-land where all my favorite heroes and heroines never die.

Cute response, jaime. Very Happy
LordRose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
LordRose wrote:

That doesn't mean I want to know. As long as the author leaves them alone, then I can imagine them being permanently happy in 1815 (or whatever year it is.) Very Happy This is one of the reasons I refuse to read An Infamous Army. I just don't want to know about a world where Avon is dead and Vidal is Avon.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for warning me. I haven't read too many Sandra Brown books - I did like French Silk and Mirror Image- but she's one of those hit-or-miss authors for me.

I think the problem comes from the merging of romance/mystery/suspence. It seems like straight out romance writers are wise enough to give their characters a definite HEA but once they cross over into the mystery/suspence field, it's like all bets are off. Like somehow their books will be 'edgier' and have a better reputation as 'serious literature' if they do something jaw-dropping in killing off a main character or their love interest.

I've never read Karin Slaughter but I did read the reviews of the book where she killed off a main character and the comments were scathing. But I got the impression that she's more of a mystery writer than a romantic suspence writer so maybe she felt she wouldn't lose any readers. I guess it would really depend on whether you read her books for the mystery or for the romantic relationships.

There are some writers who seem to do very well combining genres. I don't think I've ever read a Nora Roberts book where she killed off a main character. She seems saavy enough to know her readers and I seriously doubt she'd kill off Rourke anytime soon Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: