AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Arranged Marriage-Jan Hahn Recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PamelaM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: An Arranged Marriage-Jan Hahn Recommendations? Reply with quote

Has anyone read this Pride and Prejudice variation by Jan Hahn? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks!
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I read An Arranged Marriage when it was posted as fanfiction at an Austen site. I really enjoyed it as well as Han's other story, The Journey.
If you like Austen variations, you might try A Happy Assembly, @

http://meryton.com/aha

There are some great stories and it's free. Lucy S is particularly good.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
Hi there,
I read An Arranged Marriage when it was posted as fanfiction at an Austen site. I really enjoyed it as well as Han's other story, The Journey.
If you like Austen variations, you might try A Happy Assembly, @

http://meryton.com/aha

There are some great stories and it's free. Lucy S is particularly good.

Thanks, I didn't know this was originally posted as fanfiction. There are a number of good reviews on Amazon, but I don't place a lot of faith in Amazon reviews. Glad to hear you liked the book, although I'm still on the fence on this one, $8.95 is a bit pricey for a debut author ebook. Smile
kari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I haven't read the Arranged Marriage, but it is in my tbr mountain. I am waiting to red it until my next P&P reading jag. (I can only read or re-read so many of these at a time. Then I have to stop and read something else for awhile.)

I have read The Journey, however, and it was excellent. I also know that An Arranged Marriage won the 2011 Best Indie Book award, and a lot of other Austen fans recommend it. I think you are right not to place too much faith in Amazon reviews; it seems very likely to me that the author's friends and family stacked the deck for some of them.

I have read quite a few P&P sequels and would be very happy to provide my opinions on many of them if anyone is interested. I even made up a cheat sheet for one of my friends so that she knew what to read (or not read). I would also be happy to share that if we can figure out a good way of doing that! I'm picky about good writing, being a writer myself (though not yet published). I am also picky about characterization, and find that many sequel writers just don't get our favorite characters right. I thought Hahn did a pretty good job in The Journey, and wouldn't hesitate to pick up anything she publishes in the future. Sometimes these books could really use a good editor; I read one self-published Austen sequel that had an interesting story, but really needed the help of a pro!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: