AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Witness by Nora Roberts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: The Witness by Nora Roberts... Reply with quote

I looked down the list of threads, but I didn't see any discussions of The Witness by Nora Roberts. I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book and am enjoying it a lot. Actually, since I haven't been liking Roberts' most latest offerings, this story is a real treat. It involves some doings with the Russian mafia and she's made it very interesting, along with the main characters' personal story.

The last good book that I can honestly say I devoured by her was High Noon and that was some years ago. Anytime she wants to ditch the witchcraft and ghosts is fine by me. More of this kind of storytelling and I'll never let Roberts go.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we talked about it a little in the Recently read thread.

I liked it but was somewhat underwhelmed by the romance.
gumbybird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished it this morning - also a little underwhelmed. I found the first part, while she's still Elizabeth, fairly gripping, and I liked Brooks, but I also found the actual romance pretty blah. Not much chemistry between the two of them, and I never got why he found her attractive in the first place. But I'd probably give it a B too - liked the individual characters and the plot, just didn't quite buy the relationship. (I really liked the dog, though. Smile )
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my favorite NR romantic suspense since Angels Fall. The romance was quiet, but I thought the characterization of Elizabeth/Abigail was really well done. And the picture of small town life in the Ozarks was fun.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no trouble believing in their relationship, and the details in dealing with the Russian mafia worked well for me. I would welcome more books like this from Roberts and less similar to the wedding series. And, yes, I too loved Bert the dog. What's not to love about him? Very Happy
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it, too. I thought it had her best suspense plot since High Noon and is my favorite single title of hers since Northern Lights.

The ending was a bit anti-climatic to me. Lots of build up with little on page payoff. But I liked the characters a lot.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
The romance was quiet, but I thought the characterization of Elizabeth/Abigail was really well done. And the picture of small town life in the Ozarks was fun.

library addict wrote:
I thought it had her best suspense plot since High Noon...

I agree with both of you on these particular points.
csmiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I are listening to this on tape.........we have a 2 1/2 hr trip back and forth to a weekend house and we are enjoying it so far. At the point where Brooks is checking out Abigail. Early days Smile We are pretty picky about readers and this one is good. Hard to find a book we are both interested in. Basically just do Lee Child etc. but talked him into this one.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
And, yes, I too loved Bert the dog. What's not to love about him? Very Happy

Absolutely nothing, Tee. I want my dogs to meet Bert. Heck, what am I saying? I want my sons to meet Bert!

Elizabeth
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
Absolutely nothing, Tee. I want my dogs to meet Bert. Heck, what am I saying? I want my sons to meet Bert!

I like it! Very Happy
Alibook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too really enjoyed this one after a dryspell from Nora. I think the last one I truly enjoyed was Three Fates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: