AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lucky in Love, Shalvis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Lucky in Love, Shalvis Reply with quote

I just read Dabney's review and thought I might give this one a try. Can it be read as a standalone or should the Lucky Harbor series be read strictly in order?

I know a lot of folks like this author. Can someone give me their take on this particular series? Feel free to add anything helpful for that matter.

Thanks
Manda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can definitely be read as a stand alone. There's a pretty clear delineation between the previous trilogy set in Lucky Harbor and this one.

The first trilogy dealt with three sisters who didn't grow up together getting reacquainted and rehabbing their mother's dilapidated old house into a bed and breakfast. My favorite of those was the first, Simply Irresistible.

The second trilogy is about three female friends who bond during a freak snow storm. I really enjoyed Lucky in Love which was sexy AND poignant. I think Dabney's review is right on the money.
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all her books work well as stand-alones. I have read the whole series, and in order, but can only usually vaguely remember who is who by the time the next book is available. That said, I have no trouble enjoying each book as it comes my way.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both! Smile I definitely will get this book.

I tried unsuccessfully to find JS on the "If you like..." list under Readers' Choice, so would you mind if I ask that question of you? Who are Jill's light-romance "neighbors"? Julie James, Rachel Gibson, Kristan Higgins or anyone else? Thanks
Manda

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Thank you both! Smile I definitely will get this book.

I tried unsuccessfully to find JS on the "If you like..." list under Readers' Choice, so would you mind if I ask that question of you? Who are Jill's light-romance "neighbors"? Julie James, Rachel Gibson, Kristan Higgins or anyone else? Thanks

I'd say Rachel Gibson, Erin McCarthy, Toni Blake. I haven't read Higgins or Julie James so I can't speak to those two.

I think the If You Like...feature has been discontinued (unless I'm wrong...moderators?)
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For humor in a contemporary romance, I like Jill Shalvis, Julie James, and Linda Lael Miller (she is not hilariously funny but her books all have truly funny moments for me - she writes western contemporaries and historicals and her horse details are always correct, as she is a horsewoman). I also enjoy most books by Erin McCarthy and Toni Blake.

I am one of the few, the hiding under the bed, the don't want to offend anyone but really do not like Kristan Higgins, Jennifer Crusie, or SEP. To me all the humor in those books feels put on or contrived and I guess they are just not for me. I have tried. I really did. I read many of their books and they were all flops for me.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to both of you for replying.

I've read just one Erin McCarthy book, the only author the three of us have in common--although I also like Gibson and Julie James.

I haven't read either Toni Blake or Linda Lael Miller--so any suggestions there are welcome--and I did like Kristan Higgins, at least until her last book.

FWIW, I did like SEP and Crusie early on, but Crusie changed in a way not appealing to my tastes, and SEP seemed to keep re-writing the same characters and stories--to me anyway. I also stopped SEP when her one-liners seemed manipulative for me--or contrived as you put it, Salaisuus.

Anyway, happily onward to Lucky in Love. Smile
Jane A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just finished Simply Irresistable, my first book by Jill Shalvis, and loved it. I am torn about picking up the stories about Maddie's sisters or moving on to Lucky In Love. I have to admit I didn't care for Maddie's sisters nearly as much as I did Maddie herself. Either way I will definitely be reading more of her books!
Manda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane, Maddie was my favorite of the three sisters too. But I adored the heroes of her sisters' books. Ford and Sawyer are definitely edible;) And I didn't hate her sisters. Just preferred Maddie and her personal struggle the most.

I will say that what Shalvis did with the third sister (I'm drawing a blank on her name, darn it--I know the second one is Tara) and her very real struggles with asthma was great. The most representation of characters dealing with health problems and disabilities in Romancelandia the better, IMO.
Jane A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
Jane, Maddie was my favorite of the three sisters too. But I adored the heroes of her sisters' books. Ford and Sawyer are definitely edible;) And I didn't hate her sisters. Just preferred Maddie and her personal struggle the most.

I will say that what Shalvis did with the third sister (I'm drawing a blank on her name, darn it--I know the second one is Tara) and her very real struggles with asthma was great. The most representation of characters dealing with health problems and disabilities in Romancelandia the better, IMO.

You've convinced me to read their books and now I see that Amazon has Tara's story The Sweetest Thing, for only $2.99 as an ebook. Yay! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: