AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas, by any chance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Overseas, by any chance? Reply with quote

Has anybody read this book yet? The title is Overseas and it's by Beatriz Williams. I saw some talk of it on Twitter and there seems to be an overall good impression. Not great, but good. It's a time travel romance.

Here's the Amazon page and description:

Overseas by B. Williams
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out from the library, but haven't had the chance to read it yet.
misty9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Overseas, by any chance? Reply with quote

I haven't read a timetravelling story in a long while.
Used to be one of my favorite themes, I guess I just got tired of them.
This sounds very interesting though, especially, if I understand the synopsis right, we really get to see the mind set of the people from the turn of the century.
I've just put it on the top of my TBR pile.
I'd be very interest to hear what other people think about it
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.
Arnold Lobel
Phyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it over the weekend. I enjoyed it. I did think it dragged a bit in the middle and there was a little too much "It's my fault!" "No! It's my fault!" in places where it's obvious neither of them had any control. Still for a first book I was pleasantly surprised and I liked the way the two time periods converged. Well done.
"She makes her own quilts... " Prov. 31:22 (NJB)
janet w

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Read it recently -- 3 stars -- question for Moderator Reply with quote

Goodreads is down so I can't cut and paste (or even borrow from my short review). And I don't know if that's ok in any case. I don't want to put in a link to my goodreads page but I wouldn't mind sharing my thoughts.

In any case --

* a good first novel

* I called it a Fifty Shades/Downton Abbey mash-up and there were certainly times when I thought the plot and conversations were taken straight from Fifty Shades. Some elements were done extremely, imo, poorly, like the formal email exchanges between the h/h when they were on the tarmack at the airport (not together). Minor but annoying. I don't know anyone who doesn't just quickly text.

* It did sag in the middle and the ending, to me, was mystifying. The epilogue not particularly helpful either.

* I did like Kate's character, especially in the first part of the book, when she was working. Julian, well, I'm not sure that I ever fully bought into him because his dialogue was quite unbelievable (he's British but it sounded very movie-impression British dialogue).
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought those were texts. I did think they sounded incredibly chatty for business associates who'd just met, especially when one is so much higher level, and a client.

I think Julian was supposed to sound old-fashioned but there were several times I thought he seemed quite comfortable in the 21 century, which made the times he was supposed to seem awkward feel contrived. I pretty much hated all the "oh, darling" talk and while I generally don't like the obligatory chapters of disbelief in most time travel stories, the fact that these two just sort of nodded and went with it annoyed me even more.

I liked the premise and the dual time line, but I wouldn't cross the street to get another of Williams' books.
Rosario

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I thought those were texts. I did think they sounded incredibly chatty for business associates who'd just met, especially when one is so much higher level, and a client.

Completely agree. "Thinking of you", at that point in their relationship? Really?

I started it earlier this week but kind of stopped at that point and got distracted by another book. Will try to come back to it, I'm hoping it gets better soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: