AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades #4...Discussion Continues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

I started reading Bared to You by Sylvia Day about two weeks ago hoping to finish it before going on vacation but failed. I have 100 pages left of 260 and 5 days after my vacay I still cannot make myself pick it up again. But I promised myself I will read it to the end and give my honest opinion and I will. I will start a thread then and you, guys, make sure to chime in. I hope all AAR frequenters who read the book will participate in the discussion too. So far I can see mostly rave reviews on Goodreads and those who did not like the book feel compelled to apologize for their diverging opinion.

Sure, I will chime in, but I didn't find the book that memorable . I was at the same point as you are, with those last 100 pages or so, where the going got rough. As to the reviews on Goodreads, most are glowing and gushing. There are a few more realistic ones on Amazon, where the reader was shocked that BTY read so much like a rehash of Fifty Shades.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on Facebook, Fifty Shades of Grey has now become the fastest selling book ever, even beating out Harry Potter!

http://www.examiner.com/article/fifty-shades-of-grey-tops-harry-potter-as-fastest-selling-book-ever

Announced this morning, the bestselling erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey” by author E.L. James surpassed all past records of paperback sales to become the fastest-selling novel to fly off the shelves ever. From recent results tallied this weekend, the first addition in the romance trilogy sold over 100,000 copies just last week.

Speaking of Sylvia Day's Bared to You, she should be thanking her lucky stars for Fifty Shades, I saw her books placed at the bottom of a huge Fifty display at Barnes and Noble yesterday. Talk about prime placement to get noticed! Not sure if I'll post in a BTY thread or not, I really don't have anything positive to say other than I'm glad it has been enjoyable for some and wish it would have been for me too.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Saw this on Facebook, Fifty Shades of Grey has now become the fastest selling book ever, even beating out Harry Potter!

http://www.examiner.com/article/fifty-shades-of-grey-tops-harry-potter-as-fastest-selling-book-ever

Announced this morning, the bestselling erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey” by author E.L. James surpassed all past records of paperback sales to become the fastest-selling novel to fly off the shelves ever. From recent results tallied this weekend, the first addition in the romance trilogy sold over 100,000 copies just last week.

Speaking of Sylvia Day's Bared to You, she should be thanking her lucky stars for Fifty Shades, I saw her books placed at the bottom of a huge Fifty display at Barnes and Noble yesterday. Talk about prime placement to get noticed! Not sure if I'll post in a BTY thread or not, I really don't have anything positive to say other than I'm glad it has been enjoyable for some and wish it would have been for me too.

Linda

That is unbelievable! I'm very happy for the author. Even the haters of the book have to wonder at the success of the series. I hardly think this is a fluke. And yes...I saw the Day books right beside the Fifty series at my B&N. I wonder how that happened? The publisher must have high hopes for that book. The thing is...the cover makes it look like it might resemble the charm of Fifty, but inside the book, it really is the same-old, same-old. I wonder about the people who don't read romance and have to plow through that book thinking they are getting a book like Fifty.

edited to add...I have thought about suggesting BTY to my reading friend who doesn't read in the romance genre, but loved Fifty. I think she might be someone who would represent that block of readers. I've thought twice about it since she doesn't read romance and the love scenes in the Day book are rather crude compared to Fifty.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just browsing through the current Top Best Sellers in Romance on Amazon and was struck not only by how many feature the dynamics popular in category romance, but that many of the reviews appear to be written by people who don't read romance novels (and many titles are self-published). The combination of FSoG + e-books has influenced reading habits, but I wonder if the romance genre as a whole will shift to meet this untapped audience?

I'm also curious as to why and when the audience for--or positive perception of-- romance decreased. Based on old articles I've found from the 80s, the genre was big business and pretty mainstream, whereas now it's ignored by the masses unless they want to sneer at "trashy Harlequins".
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a different take...I think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/fifty-shades-of-god/2012/06/14/gJQAg6fccV_blog.html?hpid=z10
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[edited to add...I have thought about suggesting BTY to my reading friend who doesn't read in the romance genre, but loved Fifty. I think she might be someone who would represent that block of readers. I've thought twice about it since she doesn't read romance and the love scenes in the Day book are rather crude compared to Fifty.

Yeah, they are crude, you could warn her about it first but it wouldn't hurt to try. My daughter will not touch my romance novels after trying a few and reading the sex scenes, so I guess when I die they'll all go to goodwill, haha. But she enjoyed Fifty Shades, it has the ability to appeal to readers that normally woudln't go for romance.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Here's a different take...I think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/fifty-shades-of-god/2012/06/14/gJQAg6fccV_blog.html?hpid=z10

Eliza, yeah I'd say that's pretty different! LOL I know I heard somewhat smiliar lines of thought with regard to the success of certain books and movies, Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, etc.

Everyone is trying to so hard to figure out the success of Fifty Shades, I think it is no more meaningful or complex then then the right mix of humor, sexy, danger, vulnerability, etc that came around at the right time.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Yeah, they are crude, you could warn her about it first but it wouldn't hurt to try. My daughter will not touch my romance novels after trying a few and reading the sex scenes, so I guess when I die they'll all go to goodwill, haha. But she enjoyed Fifty Shades, it has the ability to appeal to readers that normally woudln't go for romance.

Linda

If I would warn her, she would probably pick up that I didn't like it, and then I'm not sure if I would get her honest opinion. Since I read romance novels, these scenes are nothing to me, but I don't know what her reaction would be. She might recoil in horror, or die laughing. Smile As for my daughter, she is the same as yours Linda. She doesn't touch my romance novels. It has to do with the whole package...the covers, the love scenes as in the Day book, the whole HEA thing. She's not a fan, but she did like Fifty, and even though there were plenty of love scenes, they weren't crude.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little digging, at the fanfic site where E. L. James originally posted there are quite a few Fifty fan fiction stories, though I don't know if any of them are good! I'll definitely try out a few.

http://www.fanfiction.net/book/Fifty_Shades_Trilogy/

Xina, my daughter had a mix of 'horrified' and 'died laughing' when she read some of the sex scenes in my romance novels, lol. TMI she says, she likes romantic stories in the form of Twilight, The Time Traveler's Wife, etc. but is not a fan of overly detailed sex scenes. She has more variety in her reading tastes than I do though, she loves the classics, horror stories (Stephen King) and also reads a lot of non-fiction.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Xina, my daughter had a mix of 'horrified' and 'died laughing' when she read some of the sex scenes in my romance novels, lol. TMI she says, she likes romantic stories in the form of Twilight, The Time Traveler's Wife, etc. but is not a fan of overly detailed sex scenes. She has more variety in her reading tastes than I do though, she loves the classics, horror stories (Stephen King) and also reads a lot of non-fiction.

Linda

I read a bit of the fanfiction. Haven't tried it before. It's interesting!

My daughter has the same problem with love scenes in romance novels. TMI...exactly. They don't interest her at all, and I'm pretty sure she thinks they are ridiculous. She is reading Divergent now, and really likes it. She also loved The Hunger Games series. Also went through a Stephen King period. Tried to read The TIme Traveler's Wife, but couldn't get into it.

When I die all my romance novels with go to my DIL. Loves romance, which is only one of the reasons I love her. Not many people in my RL read romance, so it's nice to share.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[When I die all my romance novels with go to my DIL. Loves romance, which is only one of the reasons I love her. Not many people in my RL read romance, so it's nice to share.

Xina, anything good in the fan fiction? I haven't had a chance to look yet but it sure would be nice to hit on another winner.

I'm glad to hear your books will have a home someday, I feel kinda sad that mine will not. There is no one I know IRL that reads romance which I why I love this online forum.

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading the Fifty Shades series. I thought they were readable, but part of me is scratching my head over the hype. I don't get it. They're not any more explicit than any other erotic romance that's being published these days. So how is it that this series of books seems to have garnered mainstream attention? And I expected them to be rather seriously BDSM, and they're not. The sex is mostly vanilla and spicy vanilla.

My favorite part was just that the story was so focused on the relationship. A big complaint I have about romances these days -- especially erotic romances -- is that the sex takes up so much space and focus in the book that the relationship gets short-changed. And that didn't happen here. Of course, at 500+ pages, these books were longer than most erotic romances. So maybe that's the difference.

I'm glad that the similarities to the Twilight series were not terribly pronounced. I think it was primarily in the characterization. Christian is an obvious Edward. Ana had a bit more (ahem!) steel than Bella, but was still very Bella-esque in a lot of ways.

There's still a part of me that's shocked that a work originally written as a fanfiction could be reworked with the substitution of new names and published on its own merit. (But again, no real similarities to the Twilight series, so I guess that's why it's okay.)
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Niftybergin"]I just finished reading the Fifty Shades series. I thought they were readable, but part of me is scratching my head over the hype. I don't get it. They're not any more explicit than any other erotic romance that's being published these days. So how is it that this series of books seems to have garnered mainstream attention? And I expected them to be rather seriously BDSM, and they're not. The sex is mostly vanilla and spicy vanilla.

My favorite part was just that the story was so focused on the relationship.

quote]

I feel that the popularity of the series focused on the relationship and the not being explicit. I think that was the appeal. The relationship came first, with the love scenes less explicit than the more "erotic" romance novel. The relationship won out in the end, not the *tell everything* love scene, and the appeal was all about the journey, not the graphic details.

*sorry about all the edits. typing in the dark here.*

Last edited by xina on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
mirole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

My favorite part was just that the story was so focused on the relationship. A big complaint I have about romances these days -- especially erotic romances -- is that the sex takes up so much space and focus in the book that the relationship gets short-changed. And that didn't happen here.

Niftybergin: I am glad that you liked the series and you are so right in what you say above. That is what I liked most of all too (and a lot of women with whom I talked about the books) - the story [of the relationship/love] whereas the media blow the erotic and especially BDSM aspect out of proportion.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
I just finished reading the Fifty Shades series. I thought they were readable, but part of me is scratching my head over the hype. I don't get it. They're not any more explicit than any other erotic romance that's being published these days. So how is it that this series of books seems to have garnered mainstream attention? And I expected them to be rather seriously BDSM, and they're not. The sex is mostly vanilla and spicy vanilla.

My favorite part was just that the story was so focused on the relationship. A big complaint I have about romances these days -- especially erotic romances -- is that the sex takes up so much space and focus in the book that the relationship gets short-changed. And that didn't happen here. Of course, at 500+ pages, these books were longer than most erotic romances. So maybe that's the difference.

I'm glad that the similarities to the Twilight series were not terribly pronounced. I think it was primarily in the characterization. Christian is an obvious Edward. Ana had a bit more (ahem!) steel than Bella, but was still very Bella-esque in a lot of ways.

There's still a part of me that's shocked that a work originally written as a fanfiction could be reworked with the substitution of new names and published on its own merit. (But again, no real similarities to the Twilight series, so I guess that's why it's okay.)

Nifty, it's BDSM light for sure, but then I'm a lightweight there too when it comes to my reading so that was fine. I don't think it would have the widespread appeal it has if it had been more heavy in that respect. I also think it helped that the sex was sexy without having to get too graphic as we are used to in the romance genre.

At the end of the day the focus is on the relationship, it's a love story as the author states. A love story with kink. Where most erotic romance we see out there is a sex story with a little bit of love/relationship, so we're not pulled in emotionally.

It's among several Twilight fanfictions that have changed the character's names and have been published on their own merit. I am finding with fan fiction much of it really doesn't resemble the books much, surprisingly so.

Linda
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: