AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades #4...Discussion Continues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erika

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
erika wrote:
[inda, I've read Mystery Man, Knight, Three Wishes and The Golden Dynasty. Weekend reading is At Peace.

I've decided to pass on reading the Rock Chick series due to the heroines, spoilers some are too promisicuious for me.

Ah, I think that might bother met oo so I will pass on that one as well. I did purchase Knight last night but wasn't sure where else to begin.

Linda

There are reviews at Amazon, Goodreads. Reading them you can find which heroines may work for you.

Btw, at the Fanfict site where James began, someone began a fanfict based on FS called Fifty Shades of Maloy except its FS only the names changed to Harry Potter characters. Guess that person thought he/she was being funny. That was real plagerism. I doubt that could ever be published since the writer copied James work word for word.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty Shades of Grey returning to Florida Library shelves. Heh!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/story/2012-05-25/50-shades-of-grey-ban/55211608/1

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:

That's exactly why I enjoyed FSoG. In fact, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, since so many influential voices in Romancelandia have expressed their active disdain for the book and its sequels. I can't say that it's entirely original, or that it's better than the erotic romance on the market, but it didn't feel hampered by romance genre constraints or even the shared language employed by the genre (granted, this is because James was more inspired by Stephenie Meyer than, say, Robin Schone or Jaid Black). Sometimes, the romance genre can feel claustrophobic in how it layers and recycles itself over and over again--even though we have very talented authors like Sherry Thomas or Julie James--, and FSoG told a pretty straightforward erotic romance story without any of that "baggage". Now I'm curious to read Sylvia Day's Bared to You, since I'd like to see how a romance writer interprets this type of plot.

I heard, or read somewhere that James read over 1,000 romance novels to prepare for writing Fifty, or the fanfic. Not sure which one. She must have been influenced by those books as well, but she left out the romance novel sex talk that I find in so many romance novels. The usual...*You're so hard, you're so big...yadda yadda, rinse and repeat* There is very little of that in 50, as compared to well, Bared To You, where the sex talk is riddled with the same old, same old. Sadly, it seems that many romance authors have a dictionary of sex-talk words that they always use. James doesn't use them which puts these books apart from the usual romance novel. Different, fresh and that may be what appeals to these people reading the series who have never cracked open a romance novel.
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Fifty Shades of Grey returning to Florida Library shelves. Heh!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/story/2012-05-25/50-shades-of-grey-ban/55211608/1

Linda

Gave in to the pressure? LOL! What I took from article was that they only have 19 copies??? Smile I wonder what the waiting period is for those 19 copies?
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My review of Fifty Shades Freed Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
http://www.romanceatrandom.com/fifty-shades-freed-review-by-janet-webb-round-robin-giveaway/#more-8858 -- N.B. I have a little mistake, Ana did sunbathe topless ... but I got a kick out of writing this review for Romance at Random because every time I get deeper into thinking about Fifty Shades, I realize how many rules James broke.

I've been reading compliments for James like fresh, raw, unpredictable -- oh yeah, after Fifty, I don't think readers will ever be quite as understanding about tired tropes. I cld be wrong but I hope not.

Edited to correct a point of grammar.

I would hope that the James books gives the genre a little kick. Sadly, it needs it. Those romance novel love scenes have to change. I really enjoy the genre, but many scenes are just tired and recycled. ugh. Hopefully, we'll be seeing some change in those covers too, but I hope it's not just copycat men's accessories.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would hope that the James books gives the genre a little kick. Sadly, it needs it. Those romance novel love scenes have to change. I really enjoy the genre, but many scenes are just tired and recycled. ugh. Hopefully, we'll be seeing some change in those covers too, but I hope it's not just copycat men's accessories.

Funny you should mention this. Lately, I've been finding that I want to read romances which still include the sexual aspect but which don't dissect every encounter like a frickin' How To manual. I'm tending to skip over them as they're very boring and somewhat ridiculous. That's why I didn't immediately latch on to the conversation about *this* book. I thought it was just another erotica book that somehow got popular outside the genre. Maybe I should look into it now if you all are saying that it may manage to reinvigorate the genre instead.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sandlynn"]
Quote:

Funny you should mention this. Lately, I've been finding that I want to read romances which still include the sexual aspect but which don't dissect every encounter like a frickin' How To manual. I'm tending to skip over them as they're very boring and somewhat ridiculous. That's why I didn't immediately latch on to the conversation about *this* book. I thought it was just another erotica book that somehow got popular outside the genre. Maybe I should look into it now if you all are saying that it may manage to reinvigorate the genre instead.

The sex scenes are hot without the ridiculous verbiage that's so common in the romance genre. You are in Ana's POV and the descriptions are more believable as far as what someone in their 20's may be thinking while it's all going on. They're detailed but not too detailed which is a nice change of pace. With the romance genre it has gotten to the point where I skim most of the sex scenes because it's just TMI.

The third book has the most sex scenes though, more than I would have liked.

Linda
mirole

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn: I will also join the chorus of recommendations for FS books.

Don't be afraid of the erotic aspect. In the first book sex does not happen until about page 100. I think of these books first of all as a story of a relationship or love story, if you will, and not an erotic romance to say nothing of straight erotica.

I agree with others about many factors that contributed to this book's success. For me mostly it was the story. It was actually a first book for me which I loved mostly because of the story. I had always said that the writing for me is more important than the story. I cannot say that the writing in FS is bad, I just never stopped to think about it while I was reading and I was absorbed in the story. Ana's voice was quite believable Britishisms notwithstanding.

I also agree with others about the fresh feel. I am a fairly new romance reader and have piles and piles of romance books waiting for me to be read but lately I have this feeling of frustration with the same old, same old as others said in this thread.

The only book that I loved since FS and could not stop thinking about it for days afterwards was Broken by Megan Hart. What's interesting this is also an erotic novel written in the first person. But I loved it because of the brilliant writing and psychological depth.
halcyon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be one of the few on the planet that did not like these books at all. I finished book one hoping there would be some sort of turnaround and read about 2 pages of book 2 before I gave up.

I love the genre but I thought the books were sophomoric and horribly written.

The heroine couldn't even refer to her "down there" with anything but "down there"...lol...
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

Not to say that there aren't sex scenes in this book...there are, in fact quite a number of them. However, they are different in that they aren't written with the usual speak....*You are so hard, so tight, so wet, so hard and tight, so wet...oh baby, baby....on and on and on.* LOL. I'm getting a little tired of all that, and noticed that dialogue is pretty much missing. I read a lot out of the genre, and this didn't feel like a romance novel. Nothing wrong with that, I love my romance novels, but this was a step out of that box. in fact way out of the box.
mirole

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcyon: I assure you there are quite a lot of people who share your view of the book or even more extreme - that it is the worst book ever. Well, tastes differ, different strokes for different strokes, and all that.

I have heard a lot of derisive remarks about 'down there'. When I was reading, I was so swept up by the story that I did not pay attention to this particular expression. Anyway, it's much better than if she were using the language a romance writer uses when describing sex scenes not in the first person. I am now thinking about good romance books written in the 1st person, there is quite a lot of good ones. I love Kristan Higgins but she avoids describing sex but I think Lisa Kleypas did a great job in Blue-Eyed Devil (her only contemporary romance I've read).

The fact that I (and most of the posters on this thread) loved the series does not mean that everybody has to love it. It's impossible. All people have different tastes. At least you read the book and expressed your honest opinion. That is what I would like to hear on this thread.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer 'down there' to the crude or flowery language used in the romance/erotica genre! I really do not need any more description than that to get the meaning.

Linda
Diana

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the established romance novel publishers don't see this as time to wake up and smell the coffee then there's no hope for them. This week publishers Random House and Macmillan, and the insider-friendly USA Today blogs gave up trying to ignore the unheard of success of the Fifty books. So NOW they're using Fifty to promote their own books. This is a huge LOL! What they don't get is the canyon-like differences (really well-articulated by the posters on this thread) between what EL James wrote and the same-old-same-old they've been putting out there for decades. None of those books caught the fancy of women everywhere and I think publishers trying to horn in on the money train are in for a rude shock when their ("ours are so much better!") books fail to capture the new Fifty readers. Traditional romance publishers have painted themselves into a corner with their authors all trained and required to write the same thing over and over. All regency all the time from Avon will probably retain their loyal readers but times have changed for attracting new readers. Interesting times!
xina

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
None of those books caught the fancy of women everywhere and I think publishers trying to horn in on the money train are in for a rude shock when their ("ours are so much better!") books fail to capture the new Fifty readers. Traditional romance publishers have painted themselves into a corner with their authors all trained and required to write the same thing over and over. All regency all the time from Avon will probably retain their loyal readers but times have changed for attracting new readers. Interesting times!

They are going to have to do better than slap a photo of men's accessories on the cover too. That's like cleaning the car to look shiny and pretty and not fixing the engine. Putting cuff links or a shoe on the cover in the long run won't work, but I'll bet there will be load of books trying to cash in on that. I'm waiting for the *socks on the floor* cover. Sexy!
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
If the established romance novel publishers don't see this as time to wake up and smell the coffee then there's no hope for them. This week publishers Random House and Macmillan, and the insider-friendly USA Today blogs gave up trying to ignore the unheard of success of the Fifty books. So NOW they're using Fifty to promote their own books. This is a huge LOL! What they don't get is the canyon-like differences (really well-articulated by the posters on this thread) between what EL James wrote and the same-old-same-old they've been putting out there for decades. None of those books caught the fancy of women everywhere and I think publishers trying to horn in on the money train are in for a rude shock when their ("ours are so much better!") books fail to capture the new Fifty readers. Traditional romance publishers have painted themselves into a corner with their authors all trained and required to write the same thing over and over. All regency all the time from Avon will probably retain their loyal readers but times have changed for attracting new readers. Interesting times!

Ditto.

And I'm not ragging on the genre or its writers, or even its publishers, but I think the success of Fifty Shades has shaken romance to its core. It's still a top selling genre with millions of loyal readers, but when you look at the genre as a whole, it can seem so assembly line: jumping on trends and forcing writers to switch what they write to remain published, 95% of historical romance set in Regency England with generically sexy covers and titles and generic plots and characters, category romances with unique voices mostly ironed out to fit each line, small-town contemporaries based around gentle hobbies (knitting, cupcakes, etc), and copycat paranormals. Plus, the increase in sexual content for the sake of sexual content.

It's no wonder people are running to other genres for different types of books, or plots, or characters! When I see the excitement over FSoG/D/F, it reminds me of the thrill for romance by readers, and the boundary-pushing and innovation of writers, back in the 80s and early 90s. We could never see a Laura Kinsale or a Tom and Sharon Curtis or a LaVyrle Spencer in the 21st century because the genre has trained (your very apt word) itself to treat all authors as interchangeable with one another. There may be a few break-out authors here and there, but all within the proscribed mold.

There's much to be said when we see--and have seen--cogent and intelligent conversations throughout AAR's history as well as between authors and on great reader/review blogs about heroes and heroines, plots and settings, sexuality, language, and cover art, but things remain the relatively same. I was hoping self-publishing would batter at the hatches placed around traditionally-published romance, but with few exceptions, what's out there is merely imitation of what NY produces (probably because they were books written with NY publication in mind). Perhaps it will take romance writers not fully immersed within romance culture, or those who don't care about what we're told are "reader expectations", to carry us back to the "Golden Age".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: