AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy wrote:
Ash wrote:
my suggestion would be NOT to start your SEP journey with "Nobody's Baby But Mine" or "This Heart Of Mine" these two are one of those books that some people love and some people want to set on fire Razz
start with a safer book Smile

What about these two caused such a diverse reaction (if you can explain without getting too spoilerish)?

I don't think that this is a spoiler, as it happens near the beginning in each book and, if I remember correctly, is something that can be surmised from the jacket text, but I'll white it out anyway:

In both of these books, the plot centers around a pregnancy that results when the heroine has sex with the hero (in one case) or sabotages the birth control (in the other) without the hero's consent.

I, personally, like these books. "This Heart of Mine" is the more serious of the two (the non-consensual sex--he's asleep and she jumps him), but "Nobody's Baby But Mine" is fairly light-hearted, so the birth-control-sabotage didn't really bother me. It's too much fun watching Cal and Jane's all-out war, where even marshmallows are not sacred. Smile

Judy
Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm without getting spoilerish I'd have to say that some feel that the heroines of both books make a few questionable and irrational choices over the course of the story... I believe the term haters frequently used to describe the heroines was TSTL Razz
The heroine of "This Heart Of Mine" in particular puts the hero through a wringer and makes him jump through hoops for no good reason.

I personally really liked "To Kiss An Angel" it had an unusual setting and a wonderful heroine, emotionally speaking the book had me hooked.

I'm adding the ARR review links for both "Kiss An Angel" and "It Had To Be You" they might help you make up your mind.

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4190

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4311
Kathy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Judy Z6666 and Ash! I can see how those issues would be hot buttons for some.

I read the reviews, Ash, (and thanks for the links BTW). It's still kind of hard to decide which to read first, but I'm leaning toward "Kiss An Angel".

I can see a trip to the UBS in my future tomorrow. Very Happy
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy wrote:
Thanks, Judy Z and Ash! I can see how those issues would be hot buttons for some.

I read the reviews, Ash, (and thanks for the links BTW). It's still kind of hard to decide which to read first, but I'm leaning toward "Kiss An Angel".

I can see a trip to the BUS in my future tomorrow. Very Happy

I very much enjoyed Kiss and Angel but didn't recommend it to start because there was lots of reader fuss about the heroine being weak and the hero a jerk. I personally didn't find it so but there it is. IMHO it was a great book.

Still for the humor alone my favorites are Lady be Good and Heaven Texas. I don't think you need to stick to the order when reading the SEEP books, IMHO, I did just fine picking and choosing what sounded most appealing to me.

The only thing I don't love about SEP is that she adores the hero grovel, he must almost always grovel to get a HEAR. I know I'm in the minority though and lots of readers love grovel scenes.

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kris

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven,Texas is without a doubt my favourite SEP. Bobby Tom Denton is sexy and adorable.
goldberry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
my suggestion would be NOT to start your SEP journey with "Nobody's Baby But Mine" or "This Heart Of Mine" these two are one of those books that some people love and some people want to set on fire Razz

I didn't realize part of the plots of both books were so divisive to readers. I guess I've lived a sheltered life (I was amazed to find out this past autumn that Janet Dailey had been sued for plagiarism ). Shocked
xina

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:

Or...Ain't She Sweet. That book sets off a lot of buttons too. I have to say, that SEP has a whole slew of unforgiving heroes (well, except for Bobby Tom from Heaven Texas) at the start of their books, and many of them remain stubborn for quite some time. Still love her books, but feel I should include a warning. Smile
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the minority. I liked much of Kiss an Angel but felt that Daisy was manipulated too much for my taste, especially at the very end when

spoiler alert her father? stepmother? substitutes sugar pills for her birth control and she winds up pregnant end spoiler

-- that bothered me quite a bit and ruined my enjoyment of the book.

OTOH, the things that bothered others about Nobody's Baby But Mine did not bother me. I can understand why other people criticized Jane, and the basic premise Jane uses for her decision is scientifically ridiculous, but I found the book so funny and the chemistry between her and Cal so palpable that I forgave the book its flaws.

Like Linda in sw va, I also liked Lady Be Good a lot. Again, the heroine's reasoning for her initial actions is deeply flawed, but both hero and heroine are so appealing and the book so funny that I couldn't help but like it. And as a bonus, it has a great secondary couple.
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Nobody's Baby But Mine I got over Jane's sperm stealing because it's just done so tongue in cheek ridiculously and Jane while a physics genius is a social moron who obviously failed Biology 101. That and the book is very LOL funny and Cal more than holds his own. It also has a very good secondary more serious story with Cal's parents.

This Heart Of Mine on the other hand is a complete wall-banger for me from the very first chapter (so not really a spoiler) where the heroine rapes the hero - until the very end where he's the one proving he's good enough for her. Just ... Shocked

My favorites are: Ain't She Sweet (great twist with heroine being the once town bad girl), Breathing Room (loved the Italian setting the dynamic between the H/h), Match Me If You Can (great snappy humor and two excellent couples) and Nobody's Baby But Mine.

Also if you enjoy audio books the late Anna Fields who narrated all but I think the last 2 of 3 makes the books even better. She made a B read for me - Lady Be Good (disliked how everyone treated the hero) into a joyful experience.
Nana

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Had To Be You was one of my first romance novels and remains in my top five. I just love Phoebe and Dan. I enjoy couples with a bit of an antagonistic streak, but it's unusual for authors to make them fall in love convincingly. Usually it's "HATEHATEHATE wait I hate you cuz I love you!" I thought Phoebe and Dan really were a great match.

Plus, I can't resist dialogue like:

"You and me - we're like oil and water."
"I'd say we're more like gasoline and a blowtorch."
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like a realistic adversarial to romance relationship but never read It Had To be You because I hated Phoebe in This Heart Of Mine and didn't much like her in Match Me If You Can. The perils of reading a series out of order. Sad
mirole

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have read only two books - Kiss an Angel - which I loved (it's one of the best books with the right balance of romance/angst/humor.

The second was It Had to Be You. It was ok but not nearly as good as Kiss an Angel mostly because of the hero (for me). I was appalled by his behaviour: he was leading the heroine on as well as another girl (especially his behaviour towards the h after a certain scene on the plane).

Also I found her portrayal of the raveling circus and circus animals as the setting of KaA brilliant and far more captivating than that of an NFL organization. [And it's even more fascinating for me because overall I am fairly indifferent to animals and hate the circus].
jaime

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have liked or loved most of the SEPs I have read, even the "controversial" ones like Ain't She Sweet and This Heart Of Mine. I mostly love the Chicago Stars series (Dean Robillard is yummy!) and considering I have zero interest in American football that's quite a feat.

The only SEPs I was kind of meh on were the one where the heroine is a motivational speaker type whose own life ironically falls apart and she travels to France to get away from things, and the one where the heroine is a famous TV actress - with that book I couldn't get past the thinly veiled "homage" to the horrid real life Jennifer Anniston/Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie triangle.

I haven't read Kiss An Angel but after reading this thread I will try and get myself a copy.

And like with Jennifer Crusie's books I think Phillips romances make for nice re-reads, plus they are often very funny - cereal killer, heh, heh...
Manda

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is still LADY BE GOOD. It just makes me laugh. And it's the one I re-read the most. Because it makes me laugh.

I understand the criticism of NBBM, and THIM, but I love them anyway. It takes a lot to set my back up as a reader. It does happen, but rarely. Then again, I tend to read mostly tried and true authors I trust.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say start with It Had to Be You. It's one of her most popular books. I enjoyed all the Chicago Star books.

Also, I just read Glitter Baby and liked that. As for the controversial ones, I really liked Ain't She Sweet, but I could see where the book could have used more back story to make it a richer read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: