AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help, please! Post Civil War western

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bavarian

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Help, please! Post Civil War western Reply with quote

Perhaps I really should begin to make regularlists of books not only read but with bits of their contents. Perhaps then I would not spend so much time searching for books I would like to reread. After consulting my list and comparing the titles with fdb I'm still at a loss and need help finding a book. Here's what I remember:
The hero was rather young at the time of the Civil War, had lost his family and became a member of a band of outlaws (former soldiers?). There was an incident (at a railroad station?) that lay heavily on his conscience. He tried to find a better life where the heroine comes in. I think she lived in a town, maybe had a small business and there was a boy (teenager) who lived with her.
But his past caught up with the hero. I'm not sure but I think his old companions wanted to rob a bank butt insted of joining them he helps to catch them but gets hurt in the progress.
He wants to make a clean plate and submits himself to a trial because of the crimes he was a part of earlier during or short after the war. He thought that only in so doing he had the right to marry the heroine. I remembe that the local sheriff played a major role and did support him during the trial.
I know that isn't much to go on but...You all are so good at finding books, so perhaps I'm lucky again.

Last edited by bavarian on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked Patricia Potter's books? She used to write Westerns.
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the dates add up, but could it be The Outlaw and the Lady by Lorraine Heath? He is an outlaw and wants to come clean for her.
bavarian

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. I've tried all the Potter westerns as I thought it could be by her, but it's none.

Xina, I've tried the Heath western too, even if I was fairly sure I've read none of her westerns (like her regencies though).

Thanks for Your help anyway.

Last edited by bavarian on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
bavarian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess, I'm bumping my question. I was searching the web for hours to again find this book , but got no result. So, my only hope is that anybody remembers reading this western - and the author or title.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a Rosanne Bittner book I read quite a few years ago, but the title escapes me. You might want to try looking at her books.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a Dorothy Garlock book? I used to read her long ago, and don't remember much about them, but she has written quite a number of westerns.
bavarian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J),

none of the seven Bittner books I store somewhere in my cellar is the one I'm searching for.

Xina,
as I didn't know that Garlock wrote westerns I don't think it's one of hers.

But thanks for our answers anyway!
Cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check Jodi Thomas' westerns. They are post Civil War and many have scenes on trains or at stations.
bavarian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's more than a year since I bumped my question I dare to do it again.
There are so many hours I've tried to find this story of a bad guy turned honorable.
I've searched all the harlequin westerns of the last and not so last years. I've tried Jodi Thomas, Patricia Potter, Bobbi Smith, Cheryl St.John, Maggie Osborne, Pamela Morsi, Linda Lael Miller, Maureen McKade, Patricia Gaffney and many others - but to no avail.
Perhaps as a sidenote: As I remember there weren't many or any sex scenes in the book but it wasn't an inspirational either.
Has nobody read this book and does remember more about it? I would be so grateful as the search truly makes me go crazy!
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a bit like LaVryle Spencer's Hummingbird. I can't remember much about it since it has been years since I read it but that is what comes to mind.

maggie b.
dallase

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds similar to "The Stranger" by Elizabeth Lane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: