AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reforming Lord Ragsdale, Carla Kelly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reforming Lord Ragsdale, Carla Kelly Reply with quote

Finally found it on Better World Books for a semi-reasonable price. Finally read it, in one sitting (and when I had to wake up at 4am the next day). And wow, is it ever worth the price. In many ways it's a tragic book (Irish history, tragedy and grief, indentured servitude). But it's also deeply romantic and ultimately very uplifting; I cannot remember when I've ever finished a book laughing and crying at the same time.

I don't know what I've been doing all this time without it, but I sure am glad to have it now.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic book and a real "fan favorite" of Carla Kelly readers. I remember paying way more than I should have to get a paperback copy years ago. I'm happy to see it's available for the Kindle for only $2.99 now which is a real bargain! I hope it enables a lot of people who were priced out of the second hand paperbacks a chance to read it (plus hopefully puts some money in the author's pocket).

I second the recommendation wholeheartedly- it's a wonderful story.
karat

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
I'm happy to see it's available for the Kindle for only $2.99 now which is a real bargain! I hope it enables a lot of people who were priced out of the second hand paperbacks a chance to read it (plus hopefully puts some money in the author's pocket).

That's great news! This is one of my Top 10 favorite romance books, and I am glad to now be able to have it on my Kindle! Already got my copy. I certainly share your hope that more people can read it now.

And Jean, I loved your description on how you felt after reading it. This is really a fantastic book!
PWNN

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantastic book - one of my favorite trad regencies - and it's great to see that with e-books more people can enjoy it.

Alas, Cedar publishing still doesn't seem to have it's digital act together since the book (e or otherwise) still isn't on B&N and neither is the e-book for Marian's Christmas Wish which came out almost a year ago (though the book is...). Kobo and Sony don't have any of the Cedar published e-books.
delia

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to buy Reforming Lord Ragsdale and Marian's Christmas wish but I have a nook. I went to Cedar Fort's website to buy the ebooks directly from them. Two problems: a) the site doesn't provide the format of the ebook and b) when I tried to check out,there was a $4.25 shipping charge. Call me cheap, but I'm not paying a shipping charge on something that should directly download on my computer. Does anyone know if there's reason why the publisher makes the ebooks Kindle only?
bavarian

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Kelly e-books at Cedar Fort. They were very helpful, refundet the shipping cost and sent the books as an pdf if I recall correctly.
You should try to order, the more the better, I think. Then they would (could) perhaps be forced to get their ebook business straight.
Debbie F

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that Cedar Fort does not have their act completely together, but for those of us who have a device that reads epub, they worth working with to get Carla Kelly's older books in a digital format. My experience is that I purchase the book online, and then follow up with a phone call to request the download link and the refund of the shipping fee, both of which are provided fairly promptly. In a way, it is kind of nice to work with a low-tech company where you talk to real people Smile
BeeCali

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it on Kindle. What a bargain for a fun read. Enjoyed the humor and angsty conflicts.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reforming Lord Ragsdale, Carla Kelly Reply with quote

FWIW, I took your comments to Cedar Fort yesterday, and hopefully they will address some of their problems with ebooks. I downloaded Lord R on my Kindle, and had no trouble, but they need to expand their ebook availablity. Couldn't agree more with you.
Kathy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reforming Lord Ragsdale, Carla Kelly Reply with quote

Jean Wan AAR wrote:
In many ways it's a tragic book (Irish history, tragedy and grief, indentured servitude). But it's also deeply romantic and ultimately very uplifting; I cannot remember when I've ever finished a book laughing and crying at the same time.

I don't know what I've been doing all this time without it, but I sure am glad to have it now.

Yes, exactly! I spent a lot of money several years ago to get a copy, but after reading it my only thought was that it was worth every penny. And now I have it on my Kindle for a fraction of what I paid for the paperback. (I noticed used copies start at $14 and new ones at $35 on Amazon.). Reforming Lord Ragsdale is definitely in my top ten favorites of all time.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know that this book is now available in digital format. I have seen this title on many of "The Best..." and "My Favorite..." lists and am happy that I finally got a chance to read it. I absolutely loved it and can see what all the fuss was about. It also reminds me of how much I miss the old Trad Regencies. I tell you, when Load Ragsdale got on that boat to follow Emma to Australia, my heart just skipped a beat. This is ROMANCE! I didn't miss the sex; I have nothing against it but so many books these days have pages and pages of mechanical sex that does nothing to advance the story or develop the characters. This is a definite DIK for me.
gumbybird

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never read any Carla Kelly before - the idea of a "Trad Regency" (yawn) and the "kisses" ratings had them low down on my TBR list. But reading this thread convinced me to buy the e-book of Reforming Lord Ragsdale, and now all I can say is thank you!! This is now one of my all-time favorites, and I've already started my glom of her backlist. I can't believe how fresh and original this book is - I adored both characters, loved the slow and steady growth of their completely believable relationship, and the ending was one of the all-time most satisfying moments in a romance novel. On to Beau Crusoe...
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Reforming Lord Ragsdale, my first (but by no means last) Carla Kelly book. Thanks so much for the enthusiastic recommendations of this book, because wow, wow, wow! I loved the intelligent and witty (the word "divine" comes to mind, too) writing, the wonderful characters, and the overall story.

My only complaint is that I'm craving an epilogue now. Or a cigarette, I don't know.

I realize that this was published in 1995, and back then it would have satisfied completely. From my 2012 POV, however, I admit I would have liked one scene of the H/h declaring their mutual love in private, and preferably for at least a couple of pages. Doesn't even have to involve outright sex.

Now added to my TBR list: Beau Crusoe, Mrs. Drew Plays her Hand, and probably whichever other Carla Kelly romances I can get my hands on... Very Happy
Sarah

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand Reply with quote

is the absolute BEST Carla Kelly!!
PatW

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Carla Kelly's blog - Mrs. Drew will be reissued in September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: