AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help Deciding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Need Help Deciding Reply with quote

Looking for help with recommendations. I read samples but am still not sure. Please share your opinions if you have read any of these:
1. Taming an Impossible Rogue by Suzanne Enoch: Pro-it got an A- review here and I am a fan of her older books. Con: The premise of a lady running away to work at a gaming club instead of marrying the Marquis and also I was disappointed by Enoch's last book, A Beginner's Guide....
2. Hot Island Nights by Sarah Mayberry: I enjoyed the companion e-book, Her Best Worst Mistake and so I looked into Hot Island Nights and am wondering how depressing it is with the H dealing with alcoholism and the death of a family member in a car accident.
3. Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley pro: story hooked me in, con: h is over 40! and its in 1st person, and I can't tell if it's romance or suspense?
4. Claiming Colleen by Beth Kery: Just finished Gateway to Heaven by Kery and enjoyed it, especially the first half. Wondering about Claiming Colleen since there are no reviews yet at Amazon.
5. Glory and the Rake by Deborah Simmons: I like her older books like The Vicar's Daughter and The Devil Earl but not sure about the description of this at Amazon with the h owning a spa.
6. Paris in Love: A Memoir by Eloisa James. I haven't read anything about this but am wondering if its anything like Teresa Weir's book, The Orchard which was very moving.
7. Not Wicked Enough by Carolyn Jewel: The sample was interesting and I enjoyed her older books like Lord Ruin but the reviews at Amazon have me reconsidering.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the first one (Enoch's) and I liked it. The premise may sound weird but it worked for me.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Deciding Reply with quote

I asked the same question about the Enoch book for a similar reason but before there was an AAR review, and I got these answers: http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10150

As for the Eloisa James book, it's more a collection of her Facebook posts from the year her family spent in Paris, I think, with added essays. I followed her online that year and loved those updates from abroad, as did many others who asked for a "collection" of those posts later on, which I think this book probably is--but I haven't seen it yet.

I have noticed from comments that it apparently doesn't work for some readers who were expecting a more traditional type of memoir, travelogue or guide to Paris. I've been wondering if diary or reflections would have been a better description than memoir, but since I later learned EJ lost her mother and had breast cancer before they went abroad, memoir may be the exactly right word for her.
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Deciding Reply with quote

Thanks so much LeeB and Eliza for your input. I ended up putting many of these on my wishlist at Paperback Swap and I see my library has the Enoch book so I put it on hold. Again, I appreciate your thoughts.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloisa added some excerpts from Paris in Love to her web page that may be helpful:

http://parisinlovebook.com/excerpts.php
babyfishmouth

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the Carolyn Jewel book. I prefer character driven historicals so it was right up my alley. There were no big misunderstandings, no evil villains, no silly secrect. Just a well told friends to lover romance.
The only negative for me was that the conflict was lacking somewhat. Oh...and a hero's name that made me giggle a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: