AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts Reply with quote

I have this book since yesterday and I am only on page 84. I am spending more time playing computer Hearts then reading.

I am alternately bored and then amused - causing me lol. The decorating isn't what so boring- since I can skip over it. It is the dialog between the characters and the whole oh we have been friends forever now lets try friends with benefits scenario. It is just such a re-hash of so many books.

And honestly her love scenes - well maybe other people find writing like this romantic - I just keep thinking of mechanic tools and floods.

"She balanced on her toes, clamped against him like a vise while the thrill and wonder ran a river through her"

What is cute is the hero catching his mom with a boyfriend. . Although the whole men's attitude is not really believable it is funny.

I will probably read the last one . . but I think this is will be my last NR series.
Bonnie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get what you mean. I adore Nora, but her straight romances have simply not worked for me in the last year or so.

It's me, I know. My tastes have changed. To be honest, I'm having trouble with romance in general lately. If I see one more historical, I swear, I'll scream loud and long.

So, move on and find other things, I guess.

ETA: I should mention that I did just start reading The Witness, and so far so good.

Last edited by Bonnie on Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tee

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
I will probably read the last one . . but I think this is will be my last NR series.

I keep saying that, too, with her books. Seriously, though, I haven't finished one of hers in quite a long time. I can't remember the last good book I read by her. It may have been High Noon of some years ago.
library addict

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed The Last Boyfriend. It had too much decorating talk at the beginning, but not nearly the amount that The Next Always had. The rest of the book has tons of construction talk, but that didnít bother me at all. I also felt that Hope and Ryder had a lot of page time since this is supposed to be Avery and Owenís story. Thankfully, the second half of the book focuses much more on the primary couple.

I liked that there was no suspense angle in this one. It was a straight forward friends-to-lovers story. The ghostís story is much better integrated than with the first book, too. I just really liked Avery and Owen and their romance.

I also enjoyed The Witness and thought it was her best single title in years.

I understand why others feel they have outgrown her or their tastes have changed. Thatís happened to me with other authors. But I am still at the point where I feel even an average Nora is a good read. And her latest two releases were above average to me. I can see myself rereading them both.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still thought this story had way too much reno detail but I thought the couple was a bit more interesting than Beckett and Clare.

Actually the story I'm looking forward to the most is the last one with Ryder and Hope because Ryder seems to have more zip to him, even if he is a Mr. Cranky Pants LOL. The scene where his mother rips into him because he's being a snot about putting up Hope's shelves was my favorite.

It's hard to rate this series because it feels similiar to The Bride's Quartet- three couples basically doing nothing-but even with the lack of strong conflict, I thought overall the Bride series was stronger.

Having said that, even when Nora's overall storyline is a bit on the bland side, I find her writing to be very polished- much more than a lot of other writers who stuff their books with action and turmoil.
janet w

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: What Charlotte J said, even bland, Roberts terrif writer Reply with quote

I know I'll read it but I doubt I'll pay full price -- maybe Costco or the library. I love these trilogies, some more than others -- Nora is a damn fine writer and I really enjoy her books.

The third book better be better than the last of the Bride quartet: that was a letdown. Where was the conflict?
oklanannie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though for the most part I enjoyed the "Bridal Quartet" series, I swore it would be my last series by Nora Roberts. Too much money with very little return.

However, that being said, after reading the book blurb and some early reviews on NR's "The Witness," I did buy the new standalone and am very glad I did. With her 200th publication, the talented storyteller returned packing a wallop into almost 500 pages of reading pleasure from beginning to ending.

And, of course, I'm still a major fan of J.D. Robb's "In Death" series.
nikkiphilton

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying this, but something happened that was pretty surprising:

Spoiler:

The whole business with the pregnancy test really reminded me of The Perfect Neighbor, where the h bought one for her friend, and the H thought it was for her... It was a really pivotal point in that story. I was kinda taken aback that she used so similar a story line that she has used before. I guess when you've written so many books, it's hard to not repeat something familiar here and there.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkiphilton wrote:
I'm really enjoying this, but something happened that was pretty surprising:

Spoiler:

The whole business with the pregnancy test really reminded me of The Perfect Neighbor, where the h bought one for her friend, and the H thought it was for her... It was a really pivotal point in that story. I was kinda taken aback that she used so similar a story line that she has used before. I guess when you've written so many books, it's hard to not repeat something familiar here and there.

This book reminded me so much of the Bridal Series books - dating a friend) and then also Red Lily (2005) (with dating a friend) and then Vision in White - with the mother problems. It like she reuses items - like you said.

I still had a problem with the set up. These two are friends but they hardly exchanged two words in the first book.

After the first book with hardly any interaction between the couple
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: