AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Julie Garwood --- really disappointed!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for AAR:

Do you think various portions of your web site may have different audiences? That is if you can tell. I sometimes think the "voices" on the Top 100 often differ from those on the message boards, and maybe by extension the yearly poll? Of course the Top 100 have more time between each list--which I like because it allows us to see which books "stick" or hold up for some folks over time.

Anyway, you'd have a much better perspective than I do, so I'd be curious to know what you think. Thanks.
LouiseAAR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
A question for AAR:

Do you think various portions of your web site may have different audiences? That is if you can tell. I sometimes think the "voices" on the Top 100 often differ from those on the message boards, and maybe by extension the yearly poll? Of course the Top 100 have more time between each list--which I like because it allows us to see which books "stick" or hold up for some folks over time.

Anyway, you'd have a much better perspective than I do, so I'd be curious to know what you think. Thanks.

I have no official knowledge on this, and I am not answering as an AAR person or for them in an official way, but I would guess that it isn't so much a "different" audience as it is a broader audience. While the poll might bring in just about anyone who happens across the site, plus people who get brought to it just for the sake of the poll (authors websites that advertise that it is happening, etc.), the people who frequent the boards would be a smaller percentage. Only the people looking for the discussions would go to the boards. So when the poll happens, hundreds of people who might normally never make it to the boards join in and add their opinion and a book that the die hards may see as only average may be a better known book and that would move the results in that direction.

But that, as I said, is just a guess. Not an official answer! I can give the PTB a heads up on your question and see if there is a more official answer or if they can answer better! Smile
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
A question for AAR:

Not an official answer either but there are always many more lurkers than actual commenters at any given time. Those who comment frequently entertain a greater audience. Those lurkers vote and they definitely have an opinion.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Louise and Lea.

Last edited by Eliza on Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our tastes change over time. This is basically how I feel about Johanna Lindsey books. Once I loved them and now they can really annoy me. JL is off my keeper shelf and will not be added to my Kindle. I did part with the bulk of my Garwood a couple of years ago, but I still have what I think of as The Scottish Shotgun Wedding Series and I recently re-read The Prize and enjoyed it.
dick

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Garwood's medievals captured the essence of romance fiction more completely than almost any other author has managed to do. The underlying tone of those books is a kind of innocent awe at the sure-to- have-a-happy-ending fairy tale quality of romance, along with a touch of farcical humor that can make me, at least, laugh out loud. I suspect that they'll continue to land on the best 100 lists for a long time to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: