AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needing recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeybee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Newbie needing recommendations Reply with quote

Hello all:

I am a newbie to Romance novels (except for Georgette Heyer) and need some recommendations for my particular situation:

I am an English speaker living in Dutch-speaking Belgium and am trying to learn Dutch. Shocked

I thought it might be fun to read an English romance novel in Dutch translation to help my learning. My idea is to get an English and Dutch version of the same book, so I can read them side-by-side.

I'm looking for something that wouldn't be too complicated. For example, a historical romance might have too much period-specific vocabulary that I wouldn't need.

I am looking for something light, no mysteries or scary stuff. It would have to be a best seller, as I will need to find a book that was popular enough to have been translated into Dutch.

What would y'all recommend? Books by Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, Barbara Talor Bradford are some of the Dutch translations that I see in the bookstores. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not familiar enough with the most popular authors.

I would really appreciate any suggestions from the forum!
CG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest anything by Jennifer Crusie for a smart and funny read, and I believe she's been published in Dutch. Welcome to Temptation and Bet Me are two of my favorites.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is another favorite, she writes intelligent funny contemporaries as well and she has a page on her website for international readers and there's a link to her Dutch publisher.
http://www.susanephillips.com/international.html

As far as the authors you listed, I would stick with Nora Roberts, IMHO.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.
honeybee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, CG-- I appreciate your input!
PamelaM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Julia Quinn publishes internationally and you also may try Lisa Kleypas. Sherry Thomas (her books are not as light) also publishes internationally. Quinn and Kleypas have large backlists of bestsellers but Thomas' backlist is 4-5 books. Good Luck!
honeybee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PamelaM!

I hadn't heard of either of these authors, and I will definitely check out their Dutch translations. Part of my problem in undertaking this task is I have no idea of where to begin, as I am completely new to the genre. Many thanks for the suggestions; I appreciate it!
PatW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Georgette Heyer, you will like Mary Balogh's historicals - however a quick internet search didn't show me that her books have been translated into Dutch. I found references to Spanish, Italian, and Polish.... you might take a look in your bookstore to verify. Some of her newer books are definitely best sellers.

I think your project has great merit! My sister-in-law is reading Harry Potter in German for the same reason! Best of luck!
honeybee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PatW! I'll see if I can find Balogh in Dutch. Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: Harry Potter -- yes, I may break down and do that as well. It does have the advantage of also having a Dutch audio-book, so I could both listen and read in Dutch and then check my understanding.

How is your sister-in-law finding the process? Has it helped her with her German?
PatW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybee wrote:
How is your sister-in-law finding the process? Has it helped her with her German?

She has some conversational German because she has spent time in Austria and Germany, but finds reading helps a lot with sentence construction - verb placement, and that sort of stuff!
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, humor hasn't always translated the same or as easily when just starting out in a new language. So like CG, I bet Nora Roberts would be a good bet for contemps for what you've seen so far.

If you did want historicals, I agree with PatW that Mary Balogh would be a good choice. She sets the period settings really well without a lot of extra stuff thrown in, focusing on the people and the story.

And like PamelaM said, Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn historicals would be good choices too. Everyone I know adores Kleypas; I'd bet she'd translate well too. Quinn would be the choice for lighter fare IMO.
LFL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the Mary Balogh recommendation. Georgette Heyer's books are very comedic, while Mary Balogh's books are usually quite serious. She's not the first author I would recommend to a Heyer fan.

The author I thought of was Loretta Chase, who writes funny books set in Regency England. A Google search shows that she has been translated into Dutch. My personal favorites of her books are the ones in the Carsington series. The reading order for the books is:

Miss Wonderful
Mr. Impossible
Lord Perfect
Not Quite a Lady
Last Night's Scandal

A Dutch translation of Miss Wonderful was mentioned on another site so I am certain you can find that one. However, her most popular book is Lord of Scoundrels so that may be the best starting place if you can find a copy of it in Dutch.
honeybee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liza and LFT! I really appreciate your recommendations and opinions.

It will be interesting to see whose books and which titles will end up being available.

I went to the library today and looked to see what was in stock. 2 books by Sarah Elizabeth Phillips, several by Nora Roberts, but none by Julia Quinn or Lisa Kleypas. Of course, we live in a rather small market town, so I think I might have better luck in the larger bookstores in Leuven or Ghent.

I did see several books by Cathy Kelly, Sophie Kinsella and Rosamunde Pilcher. Can anyone weigh in on these authors?
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL wrote:
I disagree with the Mary Balogh recommendation. Georgette Heyer's books are very comedic, while Mary Balogh's books are usually quite serious. She's not the first author I would recommend to a Heyer fan.

The author I thought of was Loretta Chase, who writes funny books set in Regency England. A Google search shows that she has been translated into Dutch. My personal favorites of her books are the ones in the Carsington series. The reading order for the books is:

Miss Wonderful
Mr. Impossible
Lord Perfect
Not Quite a Lady
Last Night's Scandal

A Dutch translation of Miss Wonderful was mentioned on another site so I am certain you can find that one. However, her most popular book is Lord of Scoundrels so that may be the best starting place if you can find a copy of it in Dutch.

Good points! And how often have I seen Loretta Chase called the heir to Heyer too. Duh. I agree that Lord of Scoundrels is a great one to start with.
LFL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybee wrote:

I went to the library today and looked to see what was in stock. 2 books by Sarah Elizabeth Phillips, several by Nora Roberts, but none by Julia Quinn or Lisa Kleypas. Of course, we live in a rather small market town, so I think I might have better luck in the larger bookstores in Leuven or Ghent.

Good luck, honeybee! Do you have interlibrary loan in Holland? If so that could be another way to go.
LFL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:

Good points! And how often have I seen Loretta Chase called the heir to Heyer too. Duh. I agree that Lord of Scoundrels is a great one to start with.

I've never heard Loretta Chase called that but I think it is fitting.
Cobbsouth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my teen romances were translated into Dutch. Being for younger readers, they might be a bit easier to read than a book intended for adults who are, presumably, already fluent in the language.

(I tried to post pictures of the covers here, but couldn't figure out how to do it.)
--All About Romance on A DEAD BORE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: