AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fabulous: THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR by Milan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Fabulous: THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR by Milan Reply with quote

Courtney Milan is a relatively new author and if you want a different, talented writer, download or buy any one of her unique romances. If you're sick of the usual Regency or Victorian miss, read Milan. Although she writes of Victorian England, her characters are often from the middle or the lower classes. I adore Milan because her romances are so very, very satisfying. She writes about people who know what it's like to suffer, who deal with life the best that they can, people who have depth. Having said that, her books are not really full of angst, but they are very, very interesting because the characters act in unique, but believable, ways.

Initially, I was disappointed that this $.99 e-book would be too short, but for once with a short book, it didn't FEEL too short. Instead, it's like eating one Godiva chocolate. Yes, you'd probably like more, but it is deeply satisfying. The heroine of THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR has been wronged by a duke who tells his man of affairs to take care of her. She sits on a public bench every day, in her public campaign for restitution by the duke. His man, used to cleaning up the duke's financial messes, assumes that this task will be easy, but he is limited by his own principle never to hurt a woman. Milan's characterization is so good that you understand each character's motivations and dreams. The argument between the agoraphobic sister and our heroine when both have been threatened is one such example. Neither woman understands or approves of the choices of the other, and each hurls hurtful (but partially true) accusations. Milan's arguments sound like arguments that real people have. Later, toward the end of the book, I was afraid that final restitution would not be paid, but I should have trusted in Milan's talent. I have never read as different an epilogue as in this book, but it implied everything that a more conventional epilogue would have.

If you want a couple or three hours of a little gem of a romance, buy THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR. I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed.
Jill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Fabulous: THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR by Milan Reply with quote

I agree, Lynda. The Governess Affair is simply fabulous. Courtney Milan is currently one of the finest writers of historical romance.
Amanda DeWees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very interesting! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of those who don't have an electronic reader, remember that you can download this onto your computer. I used to do that and then print the books out on paper so I wouldn't have to sit at my desk to read.
Laela

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree! This book was wonderful! Can't wait for the next books in the series.
Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda said it all, this novella is simply fabulous! the only problem I have with it is that it has piqued me interest and the next book isn't out yet!!!... oh the horror Razz
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ash. I was very happy to read that Milan has another very short (sigh) novel coming out in May or June. If you go to her website, you'll see it. In the meantime, have you read all her others? They are just as good and some are full length!
Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lynda! *sigh* unfortunately I'v already devoured her entire backlist and will therefore just have to be patient and hope that the wait doesn't kill me Razz
I love all her books although Unveiled and Unclaimed keep battling it out for the title of favourite, Unveiled has the stronger story but Mark is a sexier hero and I'm oh so weak when it comes to sexy heroes Razz
which book is your favourite?
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't choose between UNLOCKED, UNRAVELED, AND UNVEILED. I think they are all A books. I'm amazed that Milan writes as quickly as she does, especially since she, until recently, held down a full-time job. I love that she doesn't write the same old, same old duke and virginal miss.
Ash

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I love that she doesn't write the same old, same old duke and virginal miss.

I Know right!! and I love how consistent and mature her heroes are. in so many books a hero described as charming or even tempered suddenly has a personality transplant and becomes an ill tempered jerk.. Courtney Milan's characters might grow but there basic personality never changes. a nice guy remains a nice guy.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to read the novella, the plot does sound interesting and original. (I'd also like to read Unraveled because it's Smite's story, and Smite interests me, but our library isn't getting it in any time soon.)

However, I was pretty bored by the first two stories of the Turner brothers. There was not enough tension/obstacles between the H/h in either one for my tastes. I did like the hero's secret in book 1, but I had trouble getting through the book as a whole.

Is The Governess Affair pretty much written like the "Un-" books, would you all say? Or is there more tension, etc.? I'm trying to figure out whether, feeling lukewarm about the Turner books as I do, I'm likely to feel the same way about TGA if I spring for it.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the sexual tension was not that high in THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR, but that was okay. I loved it because the characters' actions surprised me, and that doesn't happen very often in romances. I wanted to see what each of them did in response to the act of the other. Plus, I liked both people so much that it was a pleasure to read about them. My bet is that if you've not liked the other Milans, you probably wouldn't like this one either, I'm sorry to say.
Jessi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I have had mixed feelings about Milan's books (enjoyed the writing in Unveiled, thought Unraveled was pretty good, didn't much like the writing in Proof by Seduction)...but this was a winner for me on all accounts. And I agree with earlier posters: despite being a novella, it was actually a pretty nice length.

I thought this story was great - I loved that Hugo was not a peer of any kind - I wish more authors would write about regular folks (who, of course, are not regular at all or else their stories would be boring).

This is not a spoiler but I know some people don't like their imaginations smudged by someone else's imagination so I will put the name below in white.

When I was reading I envisioned Hugo to look and sound like Jason Statham...which made me like the story even more Very Happy
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually going to order it yesteray as I saw it for only the .99 price and the premise seemed intriguing but changed my mind after a few reveiws. Now I think I may switch and actually order it. Thanks for starting this thread and letting us know.
janet w

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: The Governess Affair reminded me of Jo Beverley"s Rogue Reply with quote

And that is my highest compliment for a book like this -- two wonderfully portrayed protagonists, each proud and intelligent, sizing each other up. I'll definitely be looking forward to the first full-length book in this new series. Good job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: