AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Gothic - Sea of Secrets by Amanda DeWees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Great Gothic - Sea of Secrets by Amanda DeWees Reply with quote

I have NEVER been so excited about a book that I come here to post about it, but I am WILD about Amanda DeWees' Sea of Secrets (which I purchased, btw, on Smashwords during a sale I found out about on the Romance Potpourri board Wink) .

It's one of the top 5 books of any genre that I've read this year, in a genre I thought was dead -- the gothic romance. I can't say enough about the quality of the writing or the quality of the story. I only slept three hours last night, because I couldn't stop reading it!

I would, without hesitation, put this book up with Mary Stewart or Daphne DuMaurier - it's that good.

Has anyone else read this book?!?! Or have I miraculously stumbled upon a diamond in the rough?!?!
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... haven't read this or even heard of this author, but if she's comparable to Stewart or du Maurier (two of my favorites), I'll have to give her a try. Thanks for the rec!
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out, Eggletina. I have a full synopsis and links to it at Smashwords and Amazon on my blog.

Read it and let me know what you think. I know I'm raving like a crazy woman, lol, but I haven't read a new author that excited me as much as this one in ages.

Now, let's just hope she's not one of those one-hit wonders they're talking about over on the Potpourri board
Embarassed
kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: sea of secrets Reply with quote

I'm always up for a great gothic. Just bought it at KOBO. I'll let you know what I think
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurry hurry, kris - I can't wait to have someone to discuss this with! Very Happy
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a copy also. But I am sooooooo behind on my reading. Hopefully I can read it in the next few days.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissRubyJones said
Quote:
Hurry hurry, kris - I can't wait to have someone to discuss this with!

Maggie b. said
Quote:
I bought a copy also. But I am sooooooo behind on my reading. Hopefully I can read it in the next few days.

This will be my next book after Conor's Way. Lately I've been hitting the reading jackpot. Keep 'em coming Very Happy
maryskl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it last night. Very good book!
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you liked it, maryskl!

I don't want to say too much about the book, because to do so would give some of the plot points away, but I was just so impressed by the wonderful characters and the story. I especially loved Oriel, the heroine.

One of my favorite aspects of SoS is how true to the Victorian period it is. After starting -- and failing to finish -- several wallpaper-y Regencies and Victorians lately, SoS was so refreshing.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading it now and enjoying it. I don't have a very good track record with cheap e-books, so I'm especially pleased with MS. DeWees' prose. She's got a nice writing style and her pacing is good. My only issue is, I loathe Hamlet, so I'm predisposed to be more impatient with Herron than Oriel is at the moment.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only issue is, I loathe Hamlet, so I'm predisposed to be more impatient with Herron than Oriel is at the moment.

LOL. About half way through, even before the horrendous Ball incident, I wanted her to tip Herron off the nearest cliff. In a sense, I very much liked his character, because 20 is young enough that the teenage self-absorption and muddled thinking were believable, but even making allowances for his age, I thought he was not quite sane. But I believed that Oriel would fall for this beautiful mysterious youth, and that she'd been treated so badly throughout her life that she wouldn't realise what a relationship ought to be like.

And I got the HEA I was rooting for, so that made me happy. (The mother though - perhaps I'm overfond of my children, but I thought she took that revelation fairly lightly.) I didn't really believe that they'd all recover from that angst to become a happy family again, but somehow that didn't detract from my enjoyment - it was all melodrama, and I could live with the implausible ending.

I really liked the author's note at the back too: I thought she achieved what she had hoped to achieve with the book. I'd read her again.

Very minor quibble: at the very beginning, Oriel has been at the graveside at her brother's funeral. I thought women didn't do that? (I'm sure they did sometimes, but I thought they didn't as a rule. And you can't imagine that her father would have allowed her to defy custom.) On the other hand, I was really pleased that the author gave the soldiers their moustaches. Very Happy

(ETA: should have said, MissRubyJones, thank you for the recommendation.)
Eggletina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:
My only issue is, I loathe Hamlet, so I'm predisposed to be more impatient with Herron than Oriel is at the moment.

LOL. About half way through, even before the horrendous Ball incident, I wanted her to tip Herron off the nearest cliff. In a sense, I very much liked his character, because 20 is young enough that the teenage self-absorption and muddled thinking were believable, but even making allowances for his age, I thought he was not quite sane. But I believed that Oriel would fall for this beautiful mysterious youth, and that she'd been treated so badly throughout her life that she wouldn't realise what a relationship ought to be like.

And I got the HEA I was rooting for, so that made me happy. (The mother though - perhaps I'm overfond of my children, but I thought she took that revelation fairly lightly.) I didn't really believe that they'd all recover from that angst to become a happy family again, but somehow that didn't detract from my enjoyment - it was all melodrama, and I could live with the implausible ending.

I really liked the author's note at the back too: I thought she achieved what she had hoped to achieve with the book. I'd read her again.

Very minor quibble: at the very beginning, Oriel has been at the graveside at her brother's funeral. I thought women didn't do that? (I'm sure they did sometimes, but I thought they didn't as a rule. And you can't imagine that her father would have allowed her to defy custom.) On the other hand, I was really pleased that the author gave the soldiers their moustaches. Very Happy

(ETA: should have said, MissRubyJones, thank you for the recommendation.)

I finished it today, too, and felt similarly about it. So many gothics follow the Jane Eyre template. It was fun to read one inspired by Hamlet.

Thanks again to MissRubyJones for the rec. I don't think I would have found this one without your comments here.
kris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about a third of the way through and I'm loving it. Wow ....her father sure is a nasty piece of work. Based on what I've read so far , I would buy
another book by this author. Can't wait to get back to reading it.
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad people are enjoying Sea of Secrets as much as I did. I am such a fan of Gothic romances, and finding this book was like finding hidden treasure.

Did anyone else enjoy the literary references as much as I did? I swooned over the reference to Tam Lin -- one of my favorite old English ballads (as done by Fairport Convention, of course Wink )

Oh, and if you're still reading or haven't read the book yet, the author has created a "soundtrack" -- here's a link: http://www.amandadewees.com/?page_id=142

I love the idea of a soundtrack for a book... I feel a Romance Potpourri thread coming on Smile
Eggletina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissRubyJones wrote:
Did anyone else enjoy the literary references as much as I did? I swooned over the reference to Tam Lin -- one of my favorite old English ballads (as done by Fairport Convention, of course Wink )

Another one I noticed was Herron's nickname for Oriel: Ondine, after the water nymph. I also appreciated how the author turned the image of Ophelia on her head with what she does with Oriel in the tide.

Oriel's name reminded me of Orual in Till We Have Faces. I wondered if it was deliberate word play on the author's part. Lewis's book also deals with faith and love and that matter is openly discussed in Sea of Secrets. Might just be coincidence and my brain making random leaps as usual, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: