AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briggs' FAIR GAME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Briggs' FAIR GAME Reply with quote

I started reading the Patricia Briggs's Alpha and Omega series a few years ago, then branched out into her Mercy series. Boy, that woman can write a good book. Although I would like more romance from her latest, FAIR GAME, is excellent. It is her 4th, I think, book in the series about werewolves (beginning with the fabulous anthology, ON THE PROWL) that are now married. Anna is the Omega, a wolf who has super-human powers to calm people and to stand up to the Alpha of the pack. She is married to Charles, the assassin used by his father to remove weres that deserve killing, usually because they have become too violent to other weres or, more often, humans.

I think you could read this book without having read the others. Here is the AAR review:
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=8931
I, too, would give it a B+, not an A. because I wanted more romance, found in her earlier books.

I like Briggs' series books because something always happens in a dangerous world. Although she writes about monsters, the violence is generally, not specifically or gorily, described. Actually, I actually need to amend that. This book is about a rapist murderer who tortures his victims for a week. We do see the body, very quickly described, of one of his victims, a child. I tend to be very easily spooked by descriptions of torture, but this book (and her others) didn't bother me. Her world is one in which politics intrude, where the FBI and a new gov't agency for the supernatural beings who have just come out of the closet distrust each other, as they reluctantly cooperate. I loved the end of this very satisfying book, although there are too many characters who are not well described, so I found myself flipping back to find out who someone is. FAIR GAME is not perfect, but it moves quickly and even though I spotted the murderer pretty early, I loved the ending. I just wish Briggs had shown more romance.

So, if you like paranormal books, but don't like the lusty "I must have you, right NOW!" aspects, try Briggs out. Warning: my bet is that you will be hooked.
MEK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, love the Alpha and Omega series, and Fair Game was certainly a worthy entry. Even though it didn't have as much romance as I would have liked as well, author Briggs does pay so much attention to things like eye contact, and body language in this book that it kinda makes up for the lack of traditional romantic scenes (but one or two more couldn't have hurt!).

I love how Anna and Charles are so AWARE of each other.

After reading Fair Game, I went back and read the Mercy series from the beginning which I had never read. I'm so glad I did! The only problem is I read so fast I now need to go back and reread them! They are all a big jumble in my head. Very enjoyable books, but I do prefer the Alpha and Omega series because Briggs does such a good job relating Anna and Charles to each other. I just love Anna.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both series equally. Smile What I wish we would see more of is Bran. That character utterly fascinates me.

Can't wait to see what happens in this world after the changes (ending) in Fair Game. It's so tough to have to wait till next spring to get our next book. (She does have two short stories coming out in anthologies but the books don't resume for a year! Yaaaahhhhh!)

maggie b.
misty9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Briggs' FAIR GAME Reply with quote

I love the Alpha and Omega series too, and I second the request for more of Bran (Ms Briggs, are you reading this?).
There was enough about their relationship to keep me happy.
OTOH, I can't get into the Mercy Tompson series for that very reason - too much fantasy and not enough romance, though I agree that Briggs is a very good story teller
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.
Arnold Lobel
DianaJW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad someone posted about this book. I loved Fair Game - stayed up all night reading it - and I'm really enjoying the Charles & Anna relationship. They have, as a couple, had to overcome all manner of obstacles and I'm happy Briggs respects her readers enough to give us the ups and downs in this relationship, which aren't easily solved in a few pages.

I didn't find the lack of romance through the book a problem although I was itching for a resolution of the issues through the book and I loved the way Briggs worked things out on the island, which was surprisingly playful, in some senses.

I enjoy both this Alpha and Omega series, and the Mercy Thompson books. While the world building is well developed and very clear, it doesn't feel artificial nor do I feel that Briggs downloads huge amounts of plot at her readers. Despite some of the developments in Fair Game being fairly major for the series, and fairly out there, too, I'm never pulled out of the world as a reader by things that are so annoying, I want to throw my book at the wall. Contrast: reading Ward's Lover Reborn just after Fair Game made me realise how much all those names really jhar whith thhe rheader.

The Alpha & Omega books give long-term relationship and story development the respect it deserves and feel like grown-up paranormals/urban fantasies/romances. Maybe we should call them paraurbans? Parafantasies? Maybe not...

And echoing everyone's thoughts: more Bran for me to.

Diana
kari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject near to my heart. I love ALL the books in the Alpha - Omega series and the Mercy series, though some plot lines are more interesting than others, but what I'd really like to see is Patricia Briggs killing off Leah, Bran's horrible mate, and replacing her with someone much more interesting.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to note that Bran deliberately chose Leah, a woman who is so stupid that he will never fall in love with her (though they seem to have a passionate sex life). He has lost his previous mates tragically (the mother of Charles died giving birth to him, but I don't remember what happened to Sam's mother) and therefore he has chosen someone whose death wouldn't pain him in that way. Leah is nasty (just reread her first encounter with Anna to remind you) and she is jealous of his relationships with his sons, who are his peers (intellectually, that is). To me the situation is an interesting plot just waiting to happen, and I'd be very surprised if that isn't part of the author's long-term plan. It would be mine!
KSR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I saw this thread! I read Fair Game a few weeks ago and immediately re-read all the other Alpha & Omega books, and then the Mercy Thompson books. This installment was excellent. I loved the development of Charles and Anna's emotional relationship within their marriage. The problems they faced were such a natural off-shoot of Charles' role in the pack and of his inherent nature. He is truly lucky he has Anna!

I love the characters, the dialogue, the intricate and interwoven plots, and the World Patricia Briggs has created in these books.

I would also love to see more of Bran. His back story has been explained somewhat, but I have many questions about both Bran and Samuel.

These have become my favorite para-normals, despite their lack of Romance. Can't wait until the next in either series!
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the Mercy series and the Alpha and Omega. Has anyone read her other series? Any romance there?

Note to Misty9, as the Mercy series continues, there is more romance in each book, but never as much as the A&O.
msaggie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs Reply with quote

I just finished reading Fair Game and I am glad that I re-read the first few books first, as I had to refresh my memory of the previous plot-lines. I agree wholeheartedly with maggie b's review here. I think I must be very bloodthirsty as I was totally satisfied when justice was done at the end. Alistair Beauclaire is certainly an interesting new character in this world. I only read the first Mercy Thompson book and was not that drawn to the world - I must try it again, as the two series are interlinked.

What I thought was interesting was that Anna is trying to challenge the norm of werewolves not being able to have children safely (Charles' mother died giving birth to him). It's only a small paragraph in the book - but I wonder if the next book will take this further - I hope they can defy the odds and have offspring, but I don't want Anna to die!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: