AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
"Fifty Shames of Earl Grey"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I haven't read Fifty Shades, so I neither admire nor reject it. But about the parody: There's a difference, I think, between parody as a copy of style and substance and parody with the intent of satirizing. After reading the passages in the OP, I think the author of them intends to ridicule; it's difficult to believe that it's in any way complimentary, even to its fame.


If Fifty Shades of Grey was a book that no one heard of or cared about, who would purchase a parody of it? I agree though that the author's intent is to ridicule, , though it is still a reflection of the books popularity that he could get even a little attention with his parody.

Considering the sales records FSoG has set I'm betting there will be more parodies to come or those that want to ride it's coattails one way or another, to make fun or just use it as inspiration. Not that I'm complaining, if not for Twilight we would have no FSoG and that would have been a shame. Very Happy

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2510

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right; no one would buy a parody of a book that no one knew of. But, it's equally true that no one would buy the parody if it were not an accurate ridiculing of the fame of the book as well as of the content. The author of the fifty shames, it seems to me, is suggesting--again based on the quotes in the OP--that Fifty Shades and its success are undeserved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
You're right; no one would buy a parody of a book that no one knew of. But, it's equally true that no one would buy the parody if it were not an accurate ridiculing of the fame of the book as well as of the content. The author of the fifty shames, it seems to me, is suggesting--again based on the quotes in the OP--that Fifty Shades and its success are undeserved.


Well in that case let's see how he does in sales! Very Happy. If we're going to use people buying each book as an accurate reflection of the value of the contents, heh.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:


Well in that case let's see how he does in sales! Very Happy. If we're going to use people buying each book as an accurate reflection of the value of the contents, heh.

Linda



He's got some competition! There are at least 15 book parodies of Fifty Shades on Amazon. Good luck to him...I guess it's not an original idea.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eliza



Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 1264

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money and celebrity: the two most all-important American values. (Or greed and notoriety, whichever one prefers.) wow. just wow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eliza



Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 1264

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In exploring 50 Shames, I ran across this older 50 Shades article with comments. Nice to know there are others with similar thoughts, not affected by the current big thing of the moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/dowd-shes-fit-to-be-tied.html?pagewanted=all

-- Erica Jong CT
Maureen Dowd is right. The story of O did it better and with much more elan. (Now--let's not have a book about how much better the French are at literary porn. But they are. At least literary French women).
And how about the English? Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure is a real turn-on....
And don't forget Hogarth's wonderful satires, the Harlot's Progress and the Rake's Progress. Sex was not invented recently. Nor S & M.
Pamela is a perfect example of the 18th century's assault on what they called "VARTUE." And so is Clarissa, both by Samuel Richardson.
People who don't read are forever astounded by books. They're where most of the thrills are..."
(This comment got the most thumbs up.)

--IMHO here is an example of the worst manifestation of capitalism...profits somehow making it ok to advocate submission of women.
(This comment got the second most thumbs up.)

--I read this thinking (hoping) that some positive inference about our present-day lives would emerge. No. This book is just another example of how limited our capacity for productive thought has become.
(Third for most thumbs up.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[He's got some competition! There are at least 15 book parodies of Fifty Shades on Amazon. Good luck to him...I guess it's not an original idea.


*snort!* Laughing

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
In exploring 50 Shames, I ran across this older 50 Shades article with comments. Nice to know there are others with similar thoughts, not affected by the current big thing of the moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/dowd-shes-fit-to-be-tied.html?pagewanted=all

-- Erica Jong CT
Maureen Dowd is right. The story of O did it better and with much more elan. (Now--let's not have a book about how much better the French are at literary porn. But they are. At least literary French women).
And how about the English? Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure is a real turn-on....
And don't forget Hogarth's wonderful satires, the Harlot's Progress and the Rake's Progress. Sex was not invented recently. Nor S & M.
Pamela is a perfect example of the 18th century's assault on what they called "VARTUE." And so is Clarissa, both by Samuel Richardson.
People who don't read are forever astounded by books. They're where most of the thrills are..."
(This comment got the most thumbs up.)

--IMHO here is an example of the worst manifestation of capitalism...profits somehow making it ok to advocate submission of women.
(This comment got the second most thumbs up.)

--I read this thinking (hoping) that some positive inference about our present-day lives would emerge. No. This book is just another example of how limited our capacity for productive thought has become.
(Third for most thumbs up.)


The sky is falling! So tragic women are enjoying this book where then were literary greats out there they should be enjoying instead. And what a shame Ana was so submissive, a set back to women everywhere. *shakes head in disappointment* Boy anyone that likes this book must be jumping on the hottest thing of the moment because there is no way they could have genuinely enjoyed it otherwise. I know they think they did but I know better, here's a list of books that really are good that they should read instead. Tsk tsk, what is this world coming to. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Money and celebrity: the two most all-important American values. (Or greed and notoriety, whichever one prefers.) wow. just wow.


The nerve of them! Trying to make a profit and in such a seedy way - parodies.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1044
Location: Washington DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Money and celebrity: the two most all-important American values. (Or greed and notoriety, whichever one prefers.) wow. just wow.


Just wow, Eliza. When we illiterate Americans aren't chasing after the the all-important money and celebrity, we still manage to be the most giving and charitable nation on earth. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that all Americans think alike and have the same values.

http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/article/detail/u-k-group-ranks-u-s-most-charitable-nation-4285
_________________
Diana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eliza



Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 1264

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for one of my points to be made...but three? It's a good day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy AAR



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 443

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
I was hoping for one of my points to be made...but three? It's a good day.


Eliza, I am a publisher of this site, so this this post is an official one.

Perhaps you aren't aware that AAR is headquartered in America and the vast majority of visitors are also American. Well, now you are.

The more people generalize about America, the more most of us don't like it. Consider this an official request to knock it off.
_________________
Sandy AAR
Publisher and Senior Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tacilija



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 156
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Sandy, seriously??? Official post from an official publisher? Wow! And your website is headquartered in America? The America that is so proud of its First Amendment? Seriously?

I expect you will rename the AAR "Fifty Shades of Gray - Americans Only - Fan Club" any day now.

Oh well, I guess it's time for me to move on, since I obviously didn't get the hint when Laurie left...







Sandy AAR wrote:
Eliza wrote:
I was hoping for one of my points to be made...but three? It's a good day.


Eliza, I am a publisher of this site, so this this post is an official one.

Perhaps you aren't aware that AAR is headquartered in America and the vast majority of visitors are also American. Well, now you are.

The more people generalize about America, the more most of us don't like it. Consider this an official request to knock it off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy AAR



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 443

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a books board and those who can't dial it down enough to engage in civil discourse about BOOKS are welcome to go elsewhere.

Comments about nationality or ethnicity are not appropriate to a civil discussion.
_________________
Sandy AAR
Publisher and Senior Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erika



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 508

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Eliza wrote:
In exploring 50 Shames, I ran across this older 50 Shades article with comments. Nice to know there are others with similar thoughts, not affected by the current big thing of the moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/dowd-shes-fit-to-be-tied.html?pagewanted=all

-- Erica Jong CT
Maureen Dowd is right. The story of O did it better and with much more elan. (Now--let's not have a book about how much better the French are at literary porn. But they are. At least literary French women).
And how about the English? Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure is a real turn-on....
And don't forget Hogarth's wonderful satires, the Harlot's Progress and the Rake's Progress. Sex was not invented recently. Nor S & M.
Pamela is a perfect example of the 18th century's assault on what they called "VARTUE." And so is Clarissa, both by Samuel Richardson.
People who don't read are forever astounded by books. They're where most of the thrills are..."
(This comment got the most thumbs up.)

--IMHO here is an example of the worst manifestation of capitalism...profits somehow making it ok to advocate submission of women.
(This comment got the second most thumbs up.)

--I read this thinking (hoping) that some positive inference about our present-day lives would emerge. No. This book is just another example of how limited our capacity for productive thought has become.
(Third for most thumbs up.)


The sky is falling! So tragic women are enjoying this book where then were literary greats out there they should be enjoying instead. And what a shame Ana was so submissive, a set back to women everywhere. *shakes head in disappointment* Boy anyone that likes this book must be jumping on the hottest thing of the moment because there is no way they could have genuinely enjoyed it otherwise. I know they think they did but I know better, here's a list of books that really are good that they should read instead. Tsk tsk, what is this world coming to. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Linda


I notice she doesn't mention a romance but mocks Harlequins. Too bad Dowd didn't interview the some of the editors/reviewers here and romance authors. She's clueless about this genre, Dowd is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group