AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Fifty Shames of Earl Grey"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Your post that you were just kidding about reads a lot like your not kidding posts.

Darn. I'll up the use of those smiley faces. Smile Smile
Sandy AAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to follow Andrew Schaeffer on Twitter until I realized he was annoying the crap out of me daily, so I unfollowed.

The excerpted passages here seem equally unfunny.

But, parody is indeed fair use and Mr. Schaeffer is welcome to have his fun.

My supply of pitchforks is in equally limited supply, so I won't be lighting any torches either, but I will deal with this in the best possible way: By not buying it.

And, xina, I get what you mean. No smiley faces required.

Last edited by Sandy AAR on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:

My supply of pitchforks is in equally unlimited supply, so I won't be lighting any torches either, but I will deal with this in the best possible way: By not buying it.

And, xina, I get what you mean. No smiley faces required.

I suppose it is funny enough, but certainly not worth pressing the *buy now* button. Riding those coattails can be so much fun.
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Yulie wrote:
[Maybe he just felt it needed to be mocked, and realized he could make money off of it.

That was my point, if Fifty has hit the big time enough that a parody of it can get published and make money then it's a compliment to the author!

Linda

It's more an acknowledgement of the book's success. A compliment would infer he thought it was a good book and she was a good writer when it's evident he thinks the book is rotten. This is no loving mocking. He's not only mocking the content of the book but her writing style though IMO even in mock mode his writing is better.

Will I buy the book? No. I think the first three chapters provided me with enough chuckles on this slant and it's not as if I didn't laugh and roll my eyes already when reading the book while inserting my own MSTK3 commentary. Razz
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:

It's more an acknowledgement of the book's success. A compliment would infer he thought it was a good book and she was a good writer when it's evident he thinks the book is rotten. This is no loving mocking. He's not only mocking the content of the book but her writing style though IMO even in mock mode his writing is better.

Oh good grief, please go back and read my post and see that I never said the author of the parody was complimenting E. L. James or the book personally. I don't know the author of the parody and wouldn't presume to speak for them. It is a compliment to the author that a parody of their book can get enough attention to be published and possibly make money. You can call it an acknowledgement if it makes you feel better but it is a positive one and a sign of FSoG's success.

Wow, it really kills those of you that do not care for the book to see it be such a success, it's been so long since I've seen a book bring about such resentful reaction to from those that didn't like it. Shocked It's not those of us that enjoyed the trilogy that are carting around the pitchforks.

Linda
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to understand why anyone thinks not liking a book and/or boggling at it's breakout success means one is carrying a pitchfork.

There are those that hate Judith Ivory's books and have oh dear commented on it on this very board! I happen to think her books are sublime and some of the best the genre has to offer but I've never referred to those who do not as "haters" or suspect they writhe sleepless in their beds at night gnashing their teeth over unjust kudos.

It doesn't "kill" me that the FSOG books are successful. I don't even find it mind boggling (Pet Rocks, Polyester Leisure Suits, Jackass and Dan Brown are more mind boggling). But I do enjoy jabs at it because if I have to hear about the books - and I do since it's everywhere - then I'd prefer a good laugh at their ludicrousness.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
I fail to understand why anyone thinks not liking a book and/or boggling at it's breakout success means one is carrying a pitchfork.

There are those that hate Judith Ivory's books and have oh dear commented on it on this very board! I happen to think her books are sublime and some of the best the genre has to offer but I've never referred to those who do not as "haters" or suspect they writhe sleepless in their beds at night gnashing their teeth over unjust kudos.

It doesn't "kill" me that the FSOG books are successful. I don't even find it mind boggling (Pet Rocks, Polyester Leisure Suits, Jackass and Dan Brown are more mind boggling). But I do enjoy jabs at it because if I have to hear about the books - and I do since it's everywhere - then I'd prefer a good laugh at their ludicrousness.

I don't know PWNN, it seems to have gone further than not liking the books, maybe it's because you do feel the need to take jabs at it yet you fail to understand why anyone would accuse you of carrying a pitchfork. Really? You can't even bring yourself to admit that the parody you posted is a credit to E. L. James and FSoG in a positive way, even as it makes fun. I think your annoyance that you hear about it everywhere is showing and if you really are not up nights gnashing your teeth over it's success you and a few others could have fooled me. If it really holds no more meaning for you than someone not liking the latest Judith Ivory why all the effort in trying to put it down? It goes beyond anything I've seen in this forum in quite a while, it's not surprising that some will like a book and others will not, but sometimes the lengths people go to with not liking a book can be really something.

Linda
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think your annoyance that you hear about it everywhere is showing and if you really are not up nights gnashing your teeth over it's success you and a few others could have fooled me.

Oh please. It was book news and I thought it was funny so I posted it. I admitted my annoyance and disdain, it's not secret. That doesn't mean I expend any more thought on this work than it takes me to type out a post which is about 5 minutes - if that. But from your repeated responses to anything even slightly negative about these books one could assume it's your night's rest that's been disturbed by the inconceivable thought that other people might think these books are double crap.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:

Oh please. It was book news and I thought it was funny so I posted it. I admitted my annoyance and disdain, it's not secret. That doesn't mean I expend any more thought on this work than it takes me to type out a post which is about 5 minutes - if that. But from your repeated responses to anything even slightly negative about these books one could assume it's your night's rest that's been disturbed by the inconceivable thought that other people might think these books are double crap.

If you say so, though I can't imagine giving this much attention in thought or discussion on a book I truly thought was double crap. To each their own. Though I do admit to losing some rest while staying up a few nights to plow through them, but I'm not complaining. Very Happy

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:

Oh please. It was book news and I thought it was funny so I posted it. .

LOL...It's really not book news. Who will buy this?? This is crap, just like you think Fifty Shades is. So...we are even. Whatever.
dreamtmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you for posting this! It gave me a good laugh.

I made the mistake of reviewing this for my English class. Confused I had to actually finish the book.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read Fify Shades, so I neither admire nor reject it. But about the parody: There's a difference, I think, between parody as a copy of style and substance and parody with the intent of satirizing. After reading the passages in the OP, I think the author of them intends to ridicule; it's difficult to believe that it's in any way complimentary, even to its fame.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eliza on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eliza on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: