AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continued Fifty Shades of Grey discussion E L James
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Seacrest obsessed with Fifty Shades of Grey, too funny!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-seacrest-obsessed-with-fifty-shades-of-grey-im-using-it-as-a-manual_article_64047

Linda
janet w

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Ryan Roiphe and Ribald ... Reply with quote

Too too funny about Ryan Seacrest -- he had Ian S on his show didn't he, doing a mini-pitch? Does he know he owes it all to the good offices of the AAR message board? I just saw "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and I think the heroine's sorta-BF Tom Mison might work for Christian.

Here's a link to a fantastic article in the Toronto Globe and Mail about 50Shades, the writer really gets it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/lynn-crosbie/does-fifty-shades-cast-a-pall-on-feminism/article2418257/

Lynn Crosbie, writer and professor in the Globe & Mail on that book--her thoughts on Roiphe well, unforgettable. The headline: The Shades trilogy's secret? She's got the power. Her comment about Roiphe stepping out "of the cryogenic freezer where she has presumably lived since cynically blaming rape victims..." is pretty damning.

A couple passages are so telling --

"...this is not a novel about submission at all...quite the contrary, with a far more sly nod to "She Stoops to Conquer" (She Kneels to Conquer?), James creates a heroine who is able to express her sexuality in the most ribald of terms...

And then later, "What is BDSM after all but the safest, most vanilla sex imaginable? If one simply meets someone and takes him or her to bed, all bets are off. Try negotiating a "safe word" with an actual sadist. Or creating a sexual compact with an amorous, pop-eyed drunken pig. Good luck."

And lastly, "So few of us have that assurance in our so-called vanilla lives and how is it possible that one--having the space for wild desire and serene security--could ever tire of this power?"

Edited for two spelling mistakes

Last edited by janet w on Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

You'll want to redownload the Nook app, they sent me a notice for my iphone saying that the Nook app for iphone, ipad etc. will not update through the regular update process, it needs a new download. I'll be glad to add you on as a Nook friend and send it your way! Smile

Linda

I'll try that LInda. I have a few books on that app that I downloaded when I first got the ipad. I never use it, but don't want delete those. I'll work on it today. Smile I'll pm you when I figure it out. Thanks for the offer!
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Ryan Seacrest obsessed with Fifty Shades of Grey, too funny!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-seacrest-obsessed-with-fifty-shades-of-grey-im-using-it-as-a-manual_article_64047

Linda

Yeah...Ryan has been wearing a grey tie on American Idol for weeks now. LOL...I suspected he had read the book. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article Janet w....Thanks for posting it.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was reccomended Bared To You by someone who knows I enjoyed FS and I'm curious what type of heroine is Eva? I loved Ana because she wasn't hardened by life, bitchy or fiesty.

Eva is not the same kind of heroine as Ana in that she's experienced and in fact has her own set of issues with respect to initimate relationships with men because of something that happened to her in her past. It's probably more difficult to find her relatable as she's not an "Everygirl": she's firmly situated in the upper class, but determined to make her own way. Her background is more in the way of Katherine Kavenaugh than Ana.

I actually liked her personality in that she's pretty vocal about her issues and she's very brave given the things that have happened to her in her life. But she's not Ana, and people will be disappointed if they go in looking for a carbon copy. Gideon isn't Christian either, but then, I certainly don't want exact replicas of James' pairing. Both of them don't take full form until well into the book, and Gideon remains very mysterious even by the end. Day's not done filling them out and likely won't be finished until the end of the series.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Skarsgard says he was born to play this part (Christian). A little too old, but I really love him in True Blood.

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[I'll try that LInda. I have a few books on that app that I downloaded when I first got the ipad. I never use it, but don't want delete those. I'll work on it today. Smile I'll pm you when I figure it out. Thanks for the offer!

It shouldn't delete any of the books you already have, they're stored on the B&N server under your account name.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Yeah...Ryan has been wearing a grey tie on American Idol for weeks now. LOL...I suspected he had read the book. Smile

Too funny!!!

On an Alexander Skarsgard note, as we've also discussed him in the role -

http://www.accesshollywood.com/alexander-skarsgard-on-fifty-shades-of-grey-role-true-blood-and-rihanna-in-battleship_article_64028

I think he would be awesome in the role as Christian! His acting is better than Ian's.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Roiphe and Ribald ... Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
Too too funny about Ryan Seacrest -- he had Ian S on his show didn't he, doing a mini-pitch? Does he know he owes it all to the good offices of the AAR message board? I just saw "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and I think the heroine's sorta-BF Tom Mison might work for Christian.

Here's a link to a fantastic article in the Toronto Globe and Mail about 50Shades, the writer really gets it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/lynn-crosbie/does-fifty-shades-cast-a-pall-on-feminism/article2418257/

Lynn Crosbie, writer and professor in the Globe & Mail on that book--her thoughts on Roiphe well, unforgettable. The headline: The Shades tilogy's secret? She's got the power. Her comment about Roiphe stepping out "of the cryogenic freezer where she has presumably lived since cynically blaming rape victims..." is pretty damning.

A couple passages are so telling --

"...this is not a novel about submission at all...quite the contrary, with a far more sly not to "She Stoops to Conquer" (She Kneels to Conquer?), James creates a heroine who is able to express her sexuality in the most ribald of terms...

And then later, "What is BDSM after all but the safest, most vanilla sex imaginable? If one simply meets someone and takes him or her to bed, all bets are off. Try negotiating a "safe word" with an actual sadist. Or creating a sexual compact with an amorous, pop-eyed drunken pig. Good luck."

And lastly, "So few of us have that assurance in our so-called vanilla lives and how is it possible that one--having the space for wild desire and serene security--could ever tire of this power?"

Janet this was really good, you're right, she gets it! It's so obvious that Ana has all the power in the relationship and he is at her mercy. Still she doesn't abuse that and meets him halfway. If that's not empowerment I don't know what is.

Linda
erika

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
erika wrote:
I was recommended Bared To You by someone who knows I enjoyed FS and I'm curious what type of heroine is Eva? I loved Ana because she wasn't hardened by life, bitchy or feisty.

Other than being clumsy she's not at all like Ana, imho, unfortunately.

Eva isn't hardened, I wouldn't say she's bitchy but every five minutes she finds a reason to get mad at Gideon, she blows things out of proportion and he has to come running and apologize to get her back. Bared to You reads more like a Harlequin Presents novel than the FSoG books, there is a lot of angry hurt feelings and fighting. Emotionally I'd say she's more high maintenance than Gideon, at least at this point, I did get further in last night. She's not funny or light hearted she just..is.

I realize now why I couldn't get a good feel for the hero or heroine by reading all the reviews, there isn't much substance to them at all, it feels like the author could have stamped them out in her sleep. No wonder the descriptions are vague.

But all that said, I know I'm picky so don't mind me and try it if you're interested!

Linda

I don't think this book is for me. The way you described the heroine would definitely be grating and the hero running to apologize because she's in a snit that is definitely not for me.
I read more info regarding the heroine's past trauma and i prefer heroines who haven't gone thru that.
Thanks for the this info!
erika

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
Quote:
I was reccomended Bared To You by someone who knows I enjoyed FS and I'm curious what type of heroine is Eva? I loved Ana because she wasn't hardened by life, bitchy or fiesty.

Eva is not the same kind of heroine as Ana in that she's experienced and in fact has her own set of issues with respect to initimate relationships with men because of something that happened to her in her past. It's probably more difficult to find her relatable as she's not an "Everygirl": she's firmly situated in the upper class, but determined to make her own way. Her background is more in the way of Katherine Kavenaugh than Ana.

I actually liked her personality in that she's pretty vocal about her issues and she's very brave given the things that have happened to her in her life. But she's not Ana, and people will be disappointed if they go in looking for a carbon copy. Gideon isn't Christian either, but then, I certainly don't want exact replicas of James' pairing. Both of them don't take full form until well into the book, and Gideon remains very mysterious even by the end. Day's not done filling them out and likely won't be finished until the end of the series.

Thanks! I'm beginning to think this was recommended due to the heroes similarities rather than both hero and heroine similarities.
mirole

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I am going to like this book, Bared to You, based on what is said here and based on a extensive excerpt in a review on one of the blogs but I am going to read it for sure - unlike so many critics of FSoG, I'd like to give a book a fair chance.

Jane on Dear Author gave a good review (B, I think and for FSoG -F, IIRC). She and a lot of others are blown away by the sex scenes but I did not like the sex scene in the excerpt at all - to me it felt like a mechanical description of their actions and movements, that's all. Tesa and Linda: how did you like the sex scenes in it and compared to FS?
I know that Sylvia Day's writing is considered very good but as Linda says maybe sometimes it's not enough.

I have to admit that maybe for the first time in my romance-reading experience I loved a romance so much (I mean now FS) and it was mostly because of the story. For me the writing has always been paramount. Yet I cannot say that the writing was bad - for me it worked very well, maybe because it was a first-person narrative. I thought Ana's voice was authentic and her immaturity did not bother me at all. She was only 21 after all!
I sure as hell was more immature than she at that age.

If all romance writers start writing their heroines as strong, mature and sensible in any situation, even however stressful or traumatic, and their alpha heroes all politically correct and not controlling and just sufficiently protective of the heroine, I know that I will be booooored beyond measure because I love variety in my romance, I love when an author surprises me and I end up caring for a h/H outside my usual type.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
I Jane on Dear Author gave a good review (B, I think and for FSoG -F, IIRC). She and a lot of others are blown away by the sex scenes but I did not like the sex scene in the excerpt at all - to me it felt like a mechanical description of their actions and movements, that's all. Tesa and Linda: how did you like the sex scenes in it and compared to FS?
I know that Sylvia Day's writing is considered very good but as Linda says maybe sometimes it's not enough.

Mirole, I thought the sex scenes were mechanical and dull and they are aplenty. From the sound of it the sex scene in the excerpt you read is a good example of them all, because there was nothing different or exciting about them, just repeated over and over and ...here we go again..over. That said, I've only gotten a bit over the halfway point so I can't say for the entire book.

If Dear Author gave this book a B and FSoG a -F (bwah!) then it's further evidence, had I needed it, that DA and I would not be on the same page as far as reading taste goes. Laughing

mirole wrote:
I have to admit that maybe for the first time in my romance-reading experience I loved a romance so much (I mean now FS) and it was mostly because of the story. For me the writing has always been paramount. Yet I cannot say that the writing was bad - for me it worked very well, maybe because it was a first-person narrative. I thought Ana's voice was authentic and her immaturity did not bother me at all. She was only 21 after all!
I sure as hell was more immature than she at that age.

If all romance writers start writing their heroines as strong, mature and sensible in any situation, even however stressful or traumatic, and their alpha heroes all politically correct and not controlling and just sufficiently protective of the heroine, I know that I will be booooored beyond measure because I love variety in my romance, I love when an author surprises me and I end up caring for a h/H outside my usual type.

Agreed!!

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
[I don't think this book is for me. The way you described the heroine would definitely be grating and the hero running to apologize because she's in a snit that is definitely not for me.
I read more info regarding the heroine's past trauma and i prefer heroines who haven't gone thru that.
Thanks for the this info!

The thing with her past felt more like a token trauma in an effort to give her character more layers, as if the author is thinking 'insert past abuse for heroine here' . There's something going on with the hero's past as well which hasn't been revealed up to the point I've read.

To be fair the characters did come alive a little more for me as I kept reading but still a long way to go. Just as I was starting to get a little more into it they started fighting again though so I took a break and moved on to something else. I'm going to try and finish this book but I think it may have to be in small doses.

Linda
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: