AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continued Fifty Shades of Grey discussion E L James
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris booklover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:
mirole wrote:
Linda and LikesBadBoys: thank you both for your book recommendations, I archived them.

Tesa: I am very intrigued by Sylvia Day's book, I am going to read it especially because it's a 2012 release. It's a new author for me although I do own a couple of her books. Is the new book a contemporary? I thought she wrote only historicals

To all the readers that think Ana is a doormat:

First of all, Christian himself says that it's her challenging, defying personality that intrigues and attracts him to her.

Also, although I do enjoy strong heroines sometimes, considering myself a weak person, I don't understand all this contempt the 'weak' heroines are getting. If she is not a kick-ass, nerves-of-steel kind of heroine but a regular, easily scared but kind-hearted and maybe with a sense of humour, why is she not considered worthy of love?

Thanks for saying that Mirole, I feel the same way! And this kind of heroine is also more 'real' to me than the kick-ass nerves of steel time, which frankly I have gotten tired of. Ana was anyong at times but she's far from weak, IMHO.

Linda

Ditto to what Linda posted!!

Cosign all of this. Ana is not by any stretch of the imagination a doormat. Christian is the one who has to change in order for their relationship to work.

In addition, strength can take many different forms, and a heroine does not have to be "kickass" in order to be strong. Grace from Linda Howard's Son of the Morning is one of my favorite heroines, not because she beats up three 200 pound men at once (she doesn't) but rather because of the way in which she puts her life back together after her husband and brother are murdered and she is framed for the crime. That is a far more impressive (and plausible) achievement than those of most kickass heroines.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Linda, Be sure to report back. I might read it if you really love it.

Sure thing! I'm a little over a hundred pages in and I don't love it, but it's ok. Kind of average, not great not bad, it's not one that I'd stay up all night reading as I did Fifty Shades. But I'll stick with it as suggested and hope it gets better. I can't say I really like the hero or heroine all that much yet, actually I like the heroine's male roommate (gay) so far the best of all the characters, I want to read his book, lol. The hero (Gideon) is hot and rich but so far lacks charm and excitement. The heroine is more self confident than Ana but resembles the typical heroine of the romance genre, I miss shy Ana. Also, the foreplay of the contract negotiations between Christian and Ana were so much fun, sexual tension at the smoking point. In this one it's more like Gideon says..I want to F... you and she thinks he's really hot but tries to resist, gives in, gets mad at herself, back's off, the typical. There's no sparkle between them, more of a battle of wits than playfulness. What is the point of more polished writing if it's so polished it becomes generic?

I wouldn't say this book reads like a Fifty copy actually, some similarities but many differences. I know typically you shouldn't compare them but since everyone is suggesting it along the lines of..if you like the Fifty books you'll like this I feel like it's fair. Saying it's better than Fifty Shades of Grey though is wishful thinking, it's average at best so far.

For those that may be wondering where I'm at, I'm at the point where she unknowingly ends up in a nightclub he owns. Please tell me it gets better!

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
Linda; Thank you so much for all that info. I feel better knowing I have something to look forward to. I felt so down when I finished FS.

Sure, I hope you find something you enjoy! They're not as good to the fifty books but they're better than what I'm finding mainstream.

Linda
Estelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For those that may be wondering where I'm at, I'm at the point where she unknowingly ends up in a nightclub he owns. Please tell me it gets better!

@Linda: it does Wink

I for one find it a bit hard to compare it to 50 in terms of "it's better"/"it's not as good". 50 is a finished trilogy and Bared to You is the first book in a planned trilogy so we don't have all the missing pieces yet.

I want to say it has the potential to be at least as good but it all could go down the drain depending on what the 2nd and 3rd books are like.

I really enjoyed reading it (like many of you I picked it up because it was recced in a "If you liked 50" post) and there are some aspects of it I like better that 50 Shades, mainly when it comes to the hero.

SPOILERS

In 50, I got really tired of the Mrs Robinson plotline and how we saw at least 2 or 3 of Christian's ex-subs. That was a lot of baggage dumped on Ana (and the reader) in a very short time. As a rule, I don't really like books where so many secondary characters introduced to the heroine and to us are women the hero has slept with. I don't remember the name of the book but one scene always stayed with me: a small diner party. There's the hero and the heroine and other people. The hero had slept with all the women seating at the table except for the heroine. Awkward and a big turn off.

Back to 50. I loved the trilogy but I sure could have done with less "visual" proof of Christian's past. In Bared to You, the hero is damaged (we still don't know what actually happened but it could be worse than what happened to Christian in 50) but deals with it in a different way. But there seems to be a sort of "Mrs Robinson" character: an ex-lover he remained on friendly terms with. She clearly loves him still and he talks to her often. The age difference/BDSM things don't apply but the rest is very similar. She only appeared at the end of the book and I wonder if we're done with her or if she's going to remain a bone of contention between Gideon and Eva.

I'll wait until the trilogy is finished before deciding which I liked best. I might even end up liking them both equally. One big draw to the 50 trilogy for me is how obsessed/devoted/dependent Alpha Christian becomes. If Sylvia Day doesn't give Gideon the same over-the-top feelings, his relationship with Eva won't feel as explosive and addictive as Christian and Ana's.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
I for one find it a bit hard to compare it to 50 in terms of "it's better"/"it's not as good". 50 is a finished trilogy and Bared to You is the first book in a planned trilogy so we don't have all the missing pieces yet.

Well hmm, ok, I got 100 pages past that point and I was thinking it may be a DNF for me. Crying or Very sad I know you can't compare to an entire trilogy but just in comparison to the first book it's no where close. I'm finding it very generic and I don't really care for Eva or Gideon all that much. Granted it's not that they're annoying so that's good, but they're very blah. Lat night I left off on page 275. SPOILERS let's see they've decided to go ahead with a sexual relationship, be exclusive, went to the charity function had a fight got over it, got over the fight, etc.

Estelle wrote:
I want to say it has the potential to be at least as good but it all could go down the drain depending on what the 2nd and 3rd books are like.

I really enjoyed reading it (like many of you I picked it up because it was recced in a "If you liked 50" post) and there are some aspects of it I like better that 50 Shades, mainly when it comes to the hero.

SPOILERS

In 50, I got really tired of the Mrs Robinson plotline and how we saw at least 2 or 3 of Christian's ex-subs. That was a lot of baggage dumped on Ana (and the reader) in a very short time. As a rule, I don't really like books where so many secondary characters introduced to the heroine and to us are women the hero has slept with. I don't remember the name of the book but one scene always stayed with me: a small diner party. There's the hero and the heroine and other people. The hero had slept with all the women seating at the table except for the heroine. Awkward and a big turn off.

Back to 50. I loved the trilogy but I sure could have done with less "visual" proof of Christian's past. In Bared to You, the hero is damaged (we still don't know what actually happened but it could be worse than what happened to Christian in 50) but deals with it in a different way. But there seems to be a sort of "Mrs Robinson" character: an ex-lover he remained on friendly terms with. She clearly loves him still and he talks to her often. The age difference/BDSM things don't apply but the rest is very similar. She only appeared at the end of the book and I wonder if we're done with her or if she's going to remain a bone of contention between Gideon and Eva.

I'll wait until the trilogy is finished before deciding which I liked best. I might even end up liking them both equally. One big draw to the 50 trilogy for me is how obsessed/devoted/dependent Alpha Christian becomes. If Sylvia Day doesn't give Gideon the same over-the-top feelings, his relationship with Eva won't feel as explosive and addictive as Christian and Ana's.

Ah ok, well I guess I'll try to keep going and see what more happens, I had put it aside and started reading something else. For the most part I agree with you on what you've spoilered. I have the feeling that with Bared To You if I truly am unable to finish it's not going to be for any reason of plot but because I am not connecting with the characters. I wasn't kidding when I said the only character so far I really liked was her male roommate, does he get a HEA at the end? Smile

ETA: This book is a 'lend me' on my Nook, if anyone is looking to try it and doesn't want to spend money I'd be happy to lend it!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, It doesn't surprise me that you think the story is generic. I think that was missing in the Fifty Shades series, and why it appeals to those who normally don't read romance. Fifty, isn't generic, and at times doesn't read at all like the regular romance novel. I suspect Day's novel does. So...I'm going to try Day's book, because I am curious, and have enjoyed Day's work in the past, and also, I've not had much respect for the opinions of those that haven't bothered to read Fifty, but still have an opinion.
As an aside, my daughter is reading Fifty Shades, and loves it, which is puzzling to me, because she doesn't touch the romance genre with a ten foot pole. The appeal of this book, and series, is astounding.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Linda, It doesn't surprise me that you think the story is generic. I think that was missing in the Fifty Shades series, and why it appeals to those who normally don't read romance. Fifty, isn't generic, and at times doesn't read at all like the regular romance novel. I suspect Day's novel does. So...I'm going to try Day's book, because I am curious, and have enjoyed Day's work in the past, and also, I've not had much respect for the opinions of those that haven't bothered to read Fifty, but still have an opinion.
As an aside, my daughter is reading Fifty Shades, and loves it, which is puzzling to me, because she doesn't touch the romance genre with a ten foot pole. The appeal of this book, and series, is astounding.

Xina, I know you have the ipad, if your Nook app can do lending I'd be happy to send it to you!

Right now I don't think I'll be trying any more of Sylvia Day's work, but if you read Bared To You and feel it wasn't her best I might be willing to try something else. Right now yes, generic is the best word I can come up with, nothing special about this couple or the sex. It's interesting to me that I find myself drawn to more amateur writers lately, the ffity books, the fan fiction, I think they hold a certain freshness that is polished right out of the mainstream offerings.

Yay on your daughter liking the book! My daughter read it and enjoyed it as well, though she wouldn't touch most of my romance novels with a ten foot pole, lol.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Xina, I know you have the ipad, if your Nook app can do lending I'd be happy to send it to you!

Right now I don't think I'll be trying any more of Sylvia Day's work, but if you read Bared To You and feel it wasn't her best I might be willing to try something else. Right now yes, generic is the best word I can come up with, nothing special about this couple or the sex. It's interesting to me that I find myself drawn to more amateur writers lately, the ffity books, the fan fiction, I think they hold a certain freshness that is polished right out of the mainstream offerings.

Yay on your daughter liking the book! My daughter read it and enjoyed it as well, though she wouldn't touch most of my romance novels with a ten foot pole, lol.

Linda

Linda, I do have the Nook app, but never use it. I'll try to fire it up! I'll let you know. Thanks very much!
I haven't read any fan fiction yet, but I would like to read something fresh. At times, I think the romance genre needs a kick in the pants to freshen it up. So often it's the same old stuff regenerated. As for Sylvia Day, much of her stuff is weak, but I really enjoyed Seven Years To Sin. A book that didn't get great reviews, but I liked it very much.
And I know your daughter is in college now, and probably doesn't have much*fun reading* time, but did she read book 2 and 3 yet?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Linda, I do have the Nook app, but never use it. I'll try to fire it up! I'll let you know. Thanks very much!
I haven't read any fan fiction yet, but I would like to read something fresh. At times, I think the romance genre needs a kick in the pants to freshen it up. So often it's the same old stuff regenerated. As for Sylvia Day, much of her stuff is weak, but I really enjoyed Seven Years To Sin. A book that didn't get great reviews, but I liked it very much.
And I know your daughter is in college now, and probably doesn't have much*fun reading* time, but did she read book 2 and 3 yet?

Not yet, she has finals now and not much fun reading time as you said. When she read the Ffity Shades of Grey book it was when she had a break at Easter. She wants to continue on but will probably not have time for a few weeks yet When she's not in school she's an avid reader and can go through a book in a day or two, depending on the length.

You'll want to redownload the Nook app, they sent me a notice for my iphone saying that the Nook app for iphone, ipad etc. will not update through the regular update process, it needs a new download. I'll be glad to add you on as a Nook friend and send it your way! Smile

Linda
Estelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Linda: I know how it feels not to connect with characters. Most of the recently published romance books I've read felt so generic to me that I almost never made it past page 100 before giving up and trying something else. I read much more fanfiction than I do published romance books these days. I used to buy at least 2 romance novels a week but now I barely buy one book each month. Authors and publishers aren't giving me stories I want to read so I find what I want elsewhere most of the time.

I do still enjoy published books from time to time but they're few and far between. Bared to You was one of them. I was in the mood for a rich and powerful alpha hero and it delivered what I needed but I can understand how it wouldn't appeal to others. Re-gay friend:

SPOILERS
No, no HEA for him. He's as messed up as Eva and Gideon and kind of sabotaged his chance at a relationship. I think this will be explored more in the next books. He may or may not get his HEA in the end.

Reading it actually made me want to go back to the beginning of 50 Shades and re-read Ana and Christian's first meetings.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I feel the same way Estelle. It's hard to describe it if you haven't read it, but it's not an exact replica of 50. It has some things in common with it, but it's a different story. And I do take your point about comparing Day's series to 50 given that it isn't finished yet. Still, I think Fifty Shades of Grey was my favorite of the series and if I had to put it against Bared to You in terms of drawing me in and selling me within the first two chapters, 50 wins.

I'm with you, in that I can enjoy it for what it is and look forward to seeing where Day intends to go with it. For me the book started to get good about halfway through. I did not connect with the h/h at the beginning and felt the chemistry was kind of forced, but somewhere in the middle things started to gel for me. I don't think I connect with Gideon more than Christian, but I do think Eva's best friend has the potential to be more interesting than Ana's circle. That element of Bared to You is one of the most intriguing things about it and I am a sucker for good secondary character plotting.
'
One thing I refuse to do is participate in the pitting of the books against one another. It does a disservice to both authors to suggest that Day could have written James' book better or that Day ripped James off and lacks originality with this new series. That's simply not the case. Imagine there's one house that two different women with drastically different tastes lived in and decorated to their own liking. If you walked in, you'd have a niggling, perhaps annoying sense of deja vu, a feeling of familiarity that isn't exactly sameness. That's how I see the two books in relation to one another.

For me the first few chapters of FSoG were electric; things are instantly on fire when Christian and Ana meet. They have the capacity to convey an incendiary connection through basic, witty dialogue; that's not to be taken for granted. Eva and Gideon weren't as dynamic to me, rather the chemistry was a slow build. I don't think that's what Day intended, but I'd be lying if I said I was sold on them in first few chapters. What I do think Day does on purpose is keep Gideon a somewhat contained character that doesn't start to open until the middle of the book, and I could appreciate the effect of that once I got past what I felt was a somewhat difficult beginning. I suspect that the second book will be stronger than the first.

The more the merrier I say! I can always reread the 50 series, but I hope Day and others keep trying to create romantic fiction with some edge, even if it doesn't please everyone. There's no telling when or if James will ever write the story from Christian's perspective, so I am going to need more new things to read.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
[. For me the book started to get good about halfway through. I did not connect with the h/h at the beginning and felt the chemistry was kind of forced, but somewhere in the middle things started to gel for me..

I'll try again, I'm not quite at the halfway point. It wouldn't bother me that they were similar if I were enjoying the characters, but honestly I didn't find them as similar as I was expecting from some of the comments. I'm looking for that spark and chemistry between the H&H, the kind where have to keep reading to find out what happens next. Right now they both feel pretty cardboard to me and I am hoping this isn't a story where they bicker all the time.

Linda
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll try again, I'm not quite at the halfway point. It wouldn't bother me that they were similar if I were enjoying the characters, but honestly I didn't find them as similar as I was expecting from some of the comments. I'm looking for that spark and chemistry between the H&H, the kind where have to keep reading to find out what happens next. Right now they both feel pretty cardboard to me and I am hoping this isn't a story where they bicker all the time.

I wouldn't force it if you aren't feeling it, Linda. There are a lot of Fifty fans who liked the book and some who didn't. I'm sure there are even readers who want something Fiftyesque that wasn't written by James. If you don't finish, I don't think it's so mind-boggling that you'll live to regret it.
erika

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reccomended Bared To You by someone who knows I enjoyed FS and I'm curious what type of heroine is Eva? I loved Ana because she wasn't hardened by life, bitchy or fiesty.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I was recommended Bared To You by someone who knows I enjoyed FS and I'm curious what type of heroine is Eva? I loved Ana because she wasn't hardened by life, bitchy or feisty.

Other than being clumsy she's not at all like Ana, imho, unfortunately.

Eva isn't hardened, I wouldn't say she's bitchy but every five minutes she finds a reason to get mad at Gideon, she blows things out of proportion and he has to come running and apologize to get her back. Bared to You reads more like a Harlequin Presents novel than the FSoG books, there is a lot of angry hurt feelings and fighting. Emotionally I'd say she's more high maintenance than Gideon, at least at this point, I did get further in last night. She's not funny or light hearted she just..is.

I realize now why I couldn't get a good feel for the hero or heroine by reading all the reviews, there isn't much substance to them at all, it feels like the author could have stamped them out in her sleep. No wonder the descriptions are vague.

But all that said, I know I'm picky so don't mind me and try it if you're interested!

Linda
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: