AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read April/May/June/July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Solidly creepy and so much fun to read. The author twisted and turned the plot throughout the book. Loved it! There is a reason it's been at the top of the book charts all summer.

As an aside...Tee...I love your avatar....so very sweet! I tried to change mine and it disappeared, so now I'm left with nothing. I must try again!
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Solidly creepy and so much fun to read.

I'm on the reserve list at the library for this one. I read her first book, Sharp Objects, and loved it, although it was a very dark story. Didn't realize this one was coming out and I'm probably #150 on the list now. It'll be a while before I get it. Smile

Let me know, xina, if I can help you with posting the avatar.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Solidly creepy and so much fun to read.

I'm on the reserve list at the library for this one. I read her first book, Sharp Objects, and loved it, although it was a very dark story. Didn't realize this one was coming out and I'm probably #150 on the list now. It'll be a while before I get it. Smile

Let me know, xina, if I can help you with posting the avatar.

Tee...You liked Sharp Objects? I will have to try it. I love her style...her wording. Gone Girl is spectacular. So hard to say anything about it and not give away spoilers. It will be nice to discuss with those who have read it.
I will let you know on the avatar. You know how many flower photos I have! Smile I thought I'd use one of those.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Tee...You liked Sharp Objects?

I loved that book, but it deals with a dark obsession. Flynn held me captive all the while I was reading it, though. I don't know the date of publication, but it was some years ago and I can recall the story well enough. That's telling for me as to the impact of it.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
Tee...You liked Sharp Objects?

I loved that book, but it deals with a dark obsession. Flynn held me captive all the while I was reading it, though. I don't know the date of publication, but it was some years ago and I can recall the story well enough. That's telling for me as to the impact of it.

Flynn will hold you captive in Gone Girl too. And that is an understatement. Smile I have to say that the cover of Sharp Objects with the razor blade always threw me off. I wanted to read it, but....
I think I have an idea where Flynn goes as an author and will be reading it very soon.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Tee, have you read Dark Places?
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Tee, have you read Dark Places?

I did, MrsFairfax. Now that was a strange one and I'm still not sure how I felt about it. In Sharp Objects, I was able to feel with the character, but in Dark Places, Flynn sort of took you all around the emotions and the characters, whom I had a difficult time relating to. When I finished it, I could not describe exactly my feelings about it. I'll say this--I loved her first book; the second one left me with questions.

Have you read it? And if so, what were your thoughts about it?
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

This is the second installment of the Chicagoland Vampire series. It was a little slow to start, but once the plot started moving, it became a "don't bother me , I'm reading" book. I especially enjoyed the plentiful scenes between my favorite newbie Vamp Merit and her exasperating (totally hot) master Ethan. Their complicate relationship continues to evolve and simmer. Neill knows how to write unresolved sexual tension!
If you like urban fantasy, give this series a try.
Looking forward to reading #3.
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The de Montforte Series - Danelle Harmon Reply with quote

Finished Broken Harbour last night and once again Tana French delivered a gripping thriller. She really excels at creating interesting characters...not one of which I really liked, but that didn't affect how much I enjoyed BH. I hated having to turn a page because that brought me closer to the end.

I'm now starting The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I think it'll be as intense as BH but more emotionally wrenching.

MrsFairfax wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I am really enjoying BROKEN HARBOUR by Tana French. Not a romance but so far a superior mystery/thriller.

I'm really looking forward to this one.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The de Montforte Series - Danelle Harmon Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Finished Broken Harbour last night and once again Tana French delivered a gripping thriller. She really excels at creating interesting characters...not one of which I really liked, but that didn't affect how much I enjoyed BH. I hated having to turn a page because that brought me closer to the end.

It's funny, I don't like Tana French's characters either (Rob is still my favorite of her characterizations and he was -perhaps understandably- a complete putz, not to mention an awful detective). But I love her prose and her stories. Gillian Flynn, on the other hand, writes unlikeable characters I find uncomfortably disturbing, and I don't like her stories at all. I wonder what tips the scales for me between them? (To answer Tee's question, I didn't finish either Sharp Objects or Dark Places. I've got Gone Girl here, but haven't decided about reading it.)

Margaret, people in my Shelfari groups have been raving about John Green. I'll be interested to see what you think about Fault.
jc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader wrote:
Ravishing the Heiress by Sherry Thomas - A. Read Beguiling the Beauty first to really enjoy this second book of a trilogy. I think this one could be another RITA winner.

I agree. Love, love, love Ravishinging the Heiress. I would give Beguiling the Beauty a B+. But RTH is a solid A for me. I loved the emotions. I really felt for Millie and my heart broke for her. I even understood Fitz, although I have to believe that even a blockhead would understand his feelings after 8 years. I'm a little wary of Helena's "memory loss" in her book in October, but I'm hopeful.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Girl With The Cat Tatoo by Theresa Weir. Loved this book. The entire book is from the POV of the heroine's cat, Max. I know, it doesn't sound very interesting, but it really worked. First book in a trilogy. Am looking forward to the next one.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July sort of wound up being 'self-published phenomenon" month for me.

Fifty Shades of Grey - I was honestly a little bored throughout the book until...Chapter 26! THE chapter that IMO maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of all romances should finish with. I thought it completed the story perfectly and I don't plan to read the sequels.

On the Island - thoroughly enjoyed this. The heart of the romance & story for me is not 'on the island', but when they return & how their (mis)adventure has changed who they are to the point that only the other can understand them and complete them. Much has been made about how this romance is 'different', but the hero is 1)tall and 2) socially powerful (rich) just like 99% of all romances. Some romance conventions just can't be broken. Ha!

Best,
Lilly
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck

Saw a recommendation for this book somewhere, I think it was The BookReporter, and popped it on my library reserve list. It arrived the other day and I needed to take a break from the In Death series, so I dived into it. Oops, discovered right off the bat it was a Christian romance. Okay, no other books lying around, so I began reading it. I absolutely fell in love with her writing and the story. Here's a synopsis of it from Amazon. I am definitely going to look into her other books; I enjoyed it that much.

Four brides. One Dress. A tale of faith, redemption, and timeless love.

Charlotte owns a chic Birmingham bridal boutique. Dressing brides for their big day is her gift . . . and her passion. But with her own wedding day approaching, why can’t she find the perfect dress…or feel certain she should marry Tim?

Then Charlotte discovers a vintage dress in a battered trunk at an estate sale. It looks brand-new—shimmering with pearls and satin, hand-stitched and timeless in its design. But where did it come from? Who wore it? Who welded the lock shut and tucked the dog tags in that little sachet? Who left it in the basement for a ten-year-old girl? And what about the mysterious man in the purple vest who insists the dress had been “redeemed.”

Charlotte’s search for the gown’s history—and its new bride—begins as a distraction from her sputtering love life. But it takes on a life of its own as she comes to know the women who have worn the dress. Emily from 1912. Mary Grace from 1939. Hillary from 1968. Each with her own story of promise, pain, and destiny. And each with something unique to share. For woven within the threads of the beautiful hundred-year-old gown is the truth about Charlotte’s heritage, the power of courage and faith, and the timeless beauty of finding true love.

“The story of four loveable women, miraculously bound by one gown, whose lives span a century . . . will take your breath away.”
—Beth Webb Hart, bestselling author of Love, Charleston
MEK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castaway Dreams by Darlene Marshall This book was recently reviewed by Jean Wan so I picked it up. I loved it as much as she did. Its a delight. On the surface, its the dour, smart, serious hero and the beautiful, ditzy, shallow heroine, but in reality its so much more. Great book.

http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9094
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: