AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read April/May/June/July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Mary Balogh, The Proposal. There are some plot elements borrowed from other books she has written, but a good solid B nevertheless.

My review notes the exact same thing, though I gave the book a B+. The books she "borrowed" from have all been DIK's for me!

My complaint was that I was fascinated by the members of the Survivor's Club and would really have enjoyed seeing more of them. Can't wait till 2013 when we get the next book.

maggie b.
Natalie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mary Balogh has written so many books that some repeated themes/characters/situations is inevitable (especially in the Regency set books).
Tee

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Gardens - Amanda Quick

I loved this book. It was Quick at her best, with some paranormal thrown in, but all was good and tolerable. I loved Lucas and Evangeline and their relationship and snappy dialogues. When I read a Krentz book like this, I just know it will almost be impossible to ever drop her from my list and I have been tempted more than a couple of times with some of her recent Arcane novels.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

What a fun book! I wasn't sure if I would like it, given it was written in 1st person, and only offering the heroines point of view. But the trade off was well worth it. Different from other paranormals I have read, this one focused the experience of becoming a freshly minted vampire. The heroine, Merit, is a great character. Smart, funny, in touch with her emotions. She transforms from a some who likes to fly under the radar, to a woman/vampire who stands up for herself and her community against the most powerful vampires in Chicago. In short, I would love to hang out with this girl!

The world building is very well done, and the supporting characters both important and interesting. From her semi-retired cop grandfather who really acts as liaison between the super naturals and the Chicago PD, to the rogue sorcerer who trains her, to her best friend room mate that turns out to be a witch.

The other bonus is it take place in Chicago (Hyde Park, Wicker Park), my old stomping grounds. How cool is it to read a book and know you've walked the quad where heroine was transformed into a vampire? A
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
MrsFairfax wrote:
The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

Thank you so much for posting this! I always at least take a look at books you recommend (I tend to love anything you endorse Wink ) and this is no exception. I loved, loved, loved it. It is so sad we have to wait till next year for the next book from this author.

maggie b.

Back atcha, Maggie. Wink Really glad you enjoyed this one.
Winnie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beguiling the Beauty - Sherry Thomas A

I just loved this book. Once I started reading I didn't stop. Read it in one day. Sherry Thomas knows how to keep you interested.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow My Lead by Kate Noble.

Since Blythe's wonderful review already captures the heart of this book, all I'll say is that I just agree with her and her words that this is a "well-written," "delightfully different," "nearly perfect book" that "absolutely should not be missed."

I can't believe it has been in my overwhelming TBR pile, even though I had really enjoyed the previous book The Summer of You. I think a combination of the new book IF I Fall being released and realizing it very closely followed FML, along with Jean's recent terrific review of IIF, finally got me on track.

So of course I've started IIF. Revealed is likely to follow next, even though it was first chronologically in the series, then I'll have to get Compromised, which was Noble's first release but is placed latest in time according to her web site-- http://katenoble.com/blog/2011/07/how-my-books-are-connected/ The books seem to stand alone to me but I do enjoy a world created with returning characters.

I agree with both reviewers about this author's talent which has now put her on my very short autobuy list.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate Noble has a fun novella out with some tie-ins to Follow My Lead. The novella is called The Dress of the Season and the dressmaker and Lady Phillipa are in both books. I think Dress of the Season is only available as an e-book for $2.99. I liked the humor in it. The h is the ward of the H and there is a mix-up in a delivery of gloves and a dress.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

I loved this book. It was Quick at her best, with some paranormal thrown in, but all was good and tolerable. I loved Lucas and Evangeline and their relationship and snappy dialogues. When I read a Krentz book like this, I just know it will almost be impossible to ever drop her from my list and I have been tempted more than a couple of times with some of her recent Arcane novels.

Really? I will have to check it out. Thanks
Tee

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
Really? I will have to check it out. Thanks

Could have been my mood at the time, but I really did enjoy it. I'm not sure the individual reviewers at Amazon agreed with me as a whole, but I can live with that. Very Happy
kris

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Richard and Rose Series by Lynne Connolly. I finished Yorkshire and it was a B+ . The time setting is a little different than what I normally read...mid 18th century but it was a pleasant change. I like the secondary characters as well. There are 7 books out with the last one coming in June. The price is right as well. Under $4.50 without coupons and even cheaper with the kobo coupons I found here on another thread.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Down the Road - Jodi Thomas

Unbelievable. In hockey terms--I just scored the hat trick. Three books in a row (Amanda Quick's, Mary Balogh's and Jodi Thomas') that totally captivated me. Just Down the Road is the latest one in Jodi Thomas' Harmony series and it was wonderful. I don't know how many are following this particular series, but she resolves a couple of relationships that have been ongoing and created a new one with somewhat of a closure. I don't follow her other series on Texans in an earlier era, but I'm finding this contemporary one to be done very well. Can't wait for the next one.

Tomorrow I pick up Twisted by Laura Griffin, another author whose books I have come to love.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Reading this now. Isn't it basically Gift of Gold, right down to Miss Ames as the heroine?
Tee

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Re: Crystal Gardens - Amanda Quick. Reading this now. Isn't it basically Gift of Gold, right down to Miss Ames as the heroine?

My lack of memory for storylines (with some exceptions) serves me well, I think. Very Happy I can't answer your question because I don't remember the plot line for Gift of Gold. It may very well be similar or the same. I was in a mood and Crystal Gardens was my bit of chocolate. I am always amazed how people can remember these things from books written years in the past. Can't decide if it's a curse or blessing for me. Very Happy
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Art of Duke Hunting - Sophia Nash
Grade: A-

I liked this 2nd entry in the Royal Entourage series much better than the first book, Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea. Usually, when there is a breakdown in communication that drives a plot, I get frustrated. It didn't bother me so much here because neither Esme nor Roman were in the "too stupid to live" category. Their reasons for their actions and thinking made sense to me based on their pasts. I enjoyed watching their friendship develop into a caring relationship and it made their love that much more poignant. I really believed in their HEA.

Last edited by Tinabelle on Tue May 08, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: