AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read April/May/June/July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally gave in and read The Hunger Games - it all started when my friend had free tickets to see the movie, only I could barely watch because of the shaky cam (shaky cam is never a good idea) but liked what little I saw of it. Since the book promised to be shaky cam-free, I decided to read it, and I can see why it was such a huge hit; it's very good.

pwm in mi wrote:
Unlawful Contact by Pamela Clare

This was a bit of a departure for me. I do not usually read romantic suspense, as I find that either the romance suffers or the suspense is lame. But in keeping with my attempt to try new authors this year I gave Clare a try. Clare does an excellent job balance both romance and suspense elements. I adored the love story, as the hero and heroine were wonderful. It takes talent to make a convicted murderer sexy and appealing.
My Pamela Clare glom has officially begun:)

I had a similar experience, only my first Clare book was Breaking Point. I'd been in such a reading slump and realizing that I do enjoy (some) RS opened up all sorts of new options.

Unlawful Contact is my favorite I-Team book, however. Did you know she's self-pubbing Megan's story as a novella some time in the coming weeks?
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlawful Contact is my favorite I-Team book, however. Did you know she's self-pubbing Megan's story as a novella some time in the coming weeks?[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I looked on Clare's web site and the novella looks good, a bit of Beauty and the Beast in the story. After the hell Megan went through, she deserves a HEA!
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This was a bit of a departure for me. I do not usually read romantic suspense, as I find that either the romance suffers or the suspense is lame. But in keeping with my attempt to try new authors this year I gave Clare a try. Clare does an excellent job balance both romance and suspense elements. I adored the love story, as the hero and heroine were wonderful. It takes talent to make a convicted murderer sexy and appealing.

Unlawful Contact is definitely the best of the I-Team series IMO, but all of them are really good. There's a bit of gritty realism to a lot of the stories that the journalists are covering and I'm sure that's entirely due to Clare's own background as a journalist an editor. She's fantastic.

She's actually working on a historical that's set to release this year, I believe. I'm hoping it doesn't keep her away from I-team for too long. I do know that she's supposedly saving a book for Holly for the very end. I wonder if that means she's next.

I recently finished The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines and Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie. I'm really enjoying these YA authors, although I find them to be in a category of their own or at least very different from what YA was when I was reading as a teenager. Then again, this is the age of Twilight not The Babysitter's Club. I definitely enjoyed The Vincent Boys enough to look forward to the sequel. There were some writing hiccups and the shift between narrative voices could have been smoother, but I'm a sucker for great characters and I think there's good material there. Callum & Harper was very good too, really heartbreaking and emotional, but you do have to suspend your disbelief to a certain extent.

I read these two novels after finishing the Thoughtless series by S.C. Stephens and enjoying Jamie McGuire's Beautiful Disaster. I find this college romance genre really appealing, although the sensuality certainly varies. So far, I think I prefer Stephens style in this genre the most, with younger characters (early to mid twenties) that aren't so immature that she has to tamp down the sensuality.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
The Virgin River Series - Robyn Carr

Carr continues her strong writing and wonderful storytelling in her long-running Virgin River series. With so many books in the series and so many characters introduced along the way, it would be easy to clutter the stories with a "cast of thousands." Carr gives us just enough of the major players to make the reader feel that she is up-to-date on the goings-on in VR. I truly feel as if VR is a real place and that I know all of these people. Sometimes I find myself wondering what so-and-so is doing! The characters are real, flaws and all. While in some ways VR is an iconic, idealistic small town, there is plenty of drama, tragedy, and sadness to make it real.

I got caught up with the last 6 books in the series: Promise Canyon, Wild Man Creek, Harvest Moon, Bring Me Home For Christmas, Hidden Summit, and Redwood Bend. This series is consistently in the solid "B/B+" range for me and every once-in-awhile, an "A" read slips in there. My favorite (and "A" read) in this batch was Wild Man Creek. There was just something about Colin and Jillian that really appealed to me and I liked them both so much. That ending had me sighing and smiling even though I knew it was coming! And I'll keep reading.

I really like Wild Man Creek also. I think because you had the banner back and forth between the hero and heroine in the beginning - of course they way they met was hilarious - an added plus. And then when the heroine could have stormed off and it turn into a big misunderstanding - she listened to the hero.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Archangel Project" by C.S. Graham (Pseudonym for C. S. Harris).
A great read. From the first page to the last, the suspense and tension in the conspiracy plot were so tautly stretched, I couldn't lay the book down.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Recently Read Reply with quote

Besides The Duke's Perfect Wife, I just finished The Drawing of the Dark by Timothy Powers. I can't recommend it. I basically finished it because I started it (I was halfway through when I realized I didn't like it that much). I kept expecting it to get better. I've liked his other books, though, and am looking forward to Hide Me Among the Graves.

I am also just about finished with a young adult novel called Montmorency: Thief, Gentleman, Liar? It's a pretty dark book, but I'm enjoying it. I'm very curious as to how it will turn out.

Denise
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm's Heart by Thea Harrison
This is the 2nd book and the Elder Races series featuring Tricks and Tiago. I really enjoyed this book, perhaps even a little more than Dragon Bound. Tricks, the heir to the Dark Fae throne has gone to Chicago to assume her reign. Things do not go well and an attempt is made on her life. Tiago, the commander of Drago's army is sent to protect her. I really liked this couple. Tricks is a charming, lively character who has no one to trust in her new world. Tiago is at once a ALPHA/Killing machine who cares nothing about social graces, but clearly cares for Tricks. It is wonderful to see this huge gruff soldier be gentle and charming. Together they make a lovely couple.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

My favorite book by Clare. I liked it so much I read the sequels but so far none have come close to UC in terms of striking a chord with me. Naked edge had a virgin heroine who wanted to wait until marriage storyline that I don't normally like in contemps and Breaking Point featured a totally unbelievable (given the circumstances) love scene and a heroine's 180 turn in the epilogue not foreshadowed anywhere earlier (sloppy writing, in my opinion).

Still, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm. The books were still very readable, if not keepers for me.
PatW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline Linden -One Night in London - B+

Well, I've been busy so it took me a while to find a chance to read this. Just like Blame It on Bath - this one is sticking with me. I really liked Edward and Francesca - how both were self aware and how both realised how they "meshed"

I so loved the ending. The "I'm not that man" and "but I am that woman" statements so PERFECTLY summed up what made these two just a delight.

The most interesting thing to me is that I got a completely different impression of Charlie from this book (that I read second) than from the second one (that I read first). Although I didn't feel that I missed anything when reading Blame it on Bath, I wasn't very interested in reading Charlie's story - now I am.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bridal Swap - Karen Kirst

Hmm...the dress on the front cover is beautiful. And I picked it up on the library's resale rack, so it was just $1.

Best,
Lilly
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

Maybe it was reading during a thunderstorm that did it, but I loved this book. Set in the 1920s in England, a young woman who's scraping by working for a temp agency gets a call to help a ghost hunter with a ghost who hates men. Actually, the ghost hates just about everyone and with good reason. There's a very gothic feel to the book, the ghost is frightening but well thought-out, not just "boo" scary. The heroine is lonely, her love interest is deeply scarred by the war (inside and out) and the plot never drags. very fun read.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Witness - by Nora Roberts

Not sure if this needs to be marked spoiler:

This was much, MUCH better than Chasing Fire or The Next Always...although not quite as good as The Search or Savour The Moment IMO.

I really liked Elizabeth and I could see how she would meld into Abigail- the only downside was that I thought the detail spent on Elizabeth took time away from delving more deeply into Abigail. Brooks was very well defined, I thought. Which made me wish the book had been a bit longer so we could've gotten the same insight into Abigail. But they made a great couple Smile

I had to laugh out loud at the one scene where Brooks makes the mistake of waking up Abigail lol.

I hated that witch of a mother.

Sort of surprised that there wasn't a Big Confrontation at the end, considering all the build up to it.

Oh and she's put in another "he ran his tongue along his teeth" line [pg 211] LOL. She really loves that phrase.

I don't know if this is a book I'll reread as many times as say, Birthright, Angel Falls or The Search, but it was worth the read.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marianna - Susanna Kearsley
Grade: A-

This is one of her earlier books recently released digitally. I absolutely love the way Susanna Kearsley writes and her research is very accurate. Her work is tough to classify but this one is a reincarnation story. Her stories are so descriptively rich that you are transported to another place and time. And I like the story-within-a-story concept, too. In this case, I experienced the urgency that Julia felt in wanting to find out what had happened to Marianna and Richard and everyone else from that time. I felt her pain in reliving all of those memories from her past life.

I enjoyed the contemporary story, too. I suspected who the reincarnated Richard really was but was anxious to see how she pulled that off. I do feel the novel ended rather abruptly and I wanted a little bit more once all was revealed. I just felt that there were some loose ends that I would have liked to see spelled out a bit more. But, having read a number of Kearsley's other books, this seems to be her style.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessa Dare
A Week to be Wicked
B+

Delightful!

If you're looking for a novel with some shred of plausibility--and possibly a dark, angst-y hero--this is not the novel for you.

If you want a fun romp with likable, engaging characters and witty writing, I can highly recommend it. Very enjoyable and satisfying.

This is my first Tessa Dare book, and I look forward to the next one in this series (A Lady by Midnight).
PatW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senseless and Merciless - Mary Burton

I bought the pair as an ebook bundle and was very glad to have had both to read as they are quite connected. I'm not sure how I'd grade them...

Got them on recommendations from AAR readers who lauded their suspense while noting that they are short on romance. I have to agree that as suspense novels they are gripping and I enjoyed them throughly. Since I needed a break from light and frothy and sometimes historically questionable - these were perfect!

However, they are a bit dark and not for the squeamish and I suspect I won't want to re-read them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: