AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read April/May/June/July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Jane Score, Rachel Gibson (A-) - I finally got around to reading this book as it's been on my shelf for quite a while. It's also my first of Gibson's books and am happy to have read and liked her as she has a sizable body of work still to read. I really enjoyed this book and looked forward every evening to picking it up again. I also thought about it frequently throughout the week. Jane is witty and smart, and since I have a fondness for women writers as characters in books, I was already predisposed to like her. I love that her first task upon landing a sports writing job is to purchase Hockey for Dummies! Luc was a little more difficult to appreciate at first though he grew on me by the end. He's self-admittedly selfish and spoiled at the beginning of the novel (in addition to being fabulously wealthy and handsome), but as a character he developed into a caring and sensitive man by the end. He came across believably as a better person for allowing himself to fall in love with Jane.

There were a few slight issues for me that held me back from giving this a solid "A": I wondered if the story would have been stronger if there was a little more insight into how Luc was feeling about Jane. So much of the novel is from her perspective and we witness her falling in love; that part is all very romantic and touching. Luc though doesn't really admit his feelings until the very end, which did for me create a little of an unequal power dynamic. He already had so much going for him on a superficial level that I wanted Jane to be more his equal. Along these lines, I don't generally care for frumpy heroines in need of a make over and did cringe a little at the fairly unflattering descriptions of her before her "red dress" premiere. I thought the ending was a little contrived and melodramatic. Nevertheless, these were all relatively small things in an otherwise very funny and sweet romance. The secondary characters in the novel really added to the story. I look forward to reading more Gibson.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge of Midnight
Leslie Tentler

I had never heard of this romantic suspense author until her book popped up on Amazon while I was researching another RS. I am so glad I found her!

Mia Hale is the only known survivor of the serial killer known as the collector. Eric MacFarlane of the VCU unit of the FBI has been on the trail of this particular murderer for years. The two meet under the worst of circumstances but soon realize they may be the best thing that ever happened to each other.

This is a terrific novel that I would recommend to any fan of RS.

maggie b.
mirole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite romance:

Riders by Jilly Cooper - A-

It's an old book by a British author, over 900 pages long, with dozens of characters and at least two main ones. The action takes place between 1970 and 1980. There is lots of love, lust, sex and bed-hopping. Great humor as always with Jilly Cooper.

It's set in the world of show jumping, very action-filled and fast-paced.

But the most amazing thing of all is horses. Now, I am not a horse person myself, not even an animal person but I fell in love with how Jilly Cooper describes them. Every horse has its own character and I imagined them so vividly (there are some heartbreaking moments though). Also there are several dogs that play a big role in the story and I also loved them.

I knocked off half a grade because I am still unhappy about one pairing. The most likable character, Billy, fell for and then married a girl who was such a bitch - she started cheating on him with his sponsor because the latter was very macho, and then when Billy stopped winning she left him for the sponsor. But when he started winning again, she reappeared, broke him up with his new love and they ended up happily ever after (after she drank her way through pregnancy). Evil or Very Mad

Aft the first 70 some pages that seemed rather dreary for me (uncharacteristically for JC), I could not put it down and read till 3 am before a work day to finish it.

I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, especially to animal lovers, just don't expect traditional romance: nothing is sacred in this book, and especially marriage. But there is a sweet ending.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="maggie b."]Edge of Midnight Leslie Tentler "I had never heard of this romantic suspense author until her book popped up on Amazon while I was researching another RS. I am so glad I found her!"

That sounds really good!
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly conservative in assigning DIK status to my books, but I think Iíll have to for Josh Lanyonís Adrien English mystery series (5 books). Perhaps itís odd that as a heterosexual female I'd be so affected by a romance between two guys, but I fell in love with Adrien (a gay book store owner/mystery author who becomes embroiled in several murder investigations) and Jake (a closeted LAPD cop). The ups and downs of their relationship made my heart ache. Lanyon has a very distinctive voice, often funny and sardonic, and the personalities of his characters really shine. Sometimes, also, I crave a book (or series, in this case) that really puts me through the emotional ringer. I was left feeling punched in the gut by this and it definitely satisfied my need for riding the emotional roller coaster. Iíd recommend the series to anyone who loves noirish detective fiction (or film) in the tradition of authors like Raymond Chandler. I think the books are best read consecutively and in order, though. Although this is primarily marketed as GLBT, and certainly explores the challenges associated with being gay, I very strongly feel the love story transcends gender. It is that well done and has definitely made my DIK list.
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree on the DIK status of the Adrien English series. It's one of all time favorite series and romantic pairings. I've read it several times and it never fails to engage, move and amuse me.

You are so lucky to have been able to read the series in one go since Lanyon started it in to 90s with the first two books, wrote the third around 2005/6 and we were left that gut churning cliffhanger for about three years until the fourth then fifth.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
You are so lucky to have been able to read the series in one go since Lanyon started it in to 90s with the first two books, wrote the third around 2005/6 and we were left that gut churning cliffhanger for about three years until the fourth then fifth.

I would have found waiting painful, especially with a long gap after the third book which left me feeling emotionally battered. As it was, I read all five books in five days. Nothing in real life was attended to and now that I'm finished I'm still having trouble letting go of the characters enough to move on to another book (always a sign of a good book for me).

Elsewhere someone mentioned that the author may write a Christmas story with Adrien and Jake. I'd love that. Perhaps they really will go to London for Christmas as Lisa keeps pushing. I also think it would be very funny if Natalie started dating that boy.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read the books of Heather Graham's Krewe of Hunters series: Phantom Evil (4/11), Heart of Evil (7/11), Sacred Evil (8/11), The Evil Inside (9/11), The Unseen (4/12). They feature romantic suspense / paranormal stories of a special group of federal agents called in to investigate crimes that require special skills--usually an ability to interact with ghosts. Graham has set each in a different part of the US: New Orleans, a plantation just outside of New Orleans, NYC, Salem, MA, and San Antonio. One couple leads in each book to work out their relationship and to solve the crime(s). A "gore factor" is present, but does not overwhelm the reader.

Three additions to the series are coming: The Unholy (7/12; set in Hollywood), The Unspoken (8/12; set on and in Lake Michigan), and The Uninvited (9/12; set in Philadelphia). I have pre-ordered the first two.

Happy reading,
Kay
csmiley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
I am fairly conservative in assigning DIK status to my books, but I think Iíll have to for Josh Lanyonís Adrien English mystery series (5 books). Perhaps itís odd that as a heterosexual female I'd be so affected by a romance between two guys, but I fell in love with Adrien (a gay book store owner/mystery author who becomes embroiled in several murder investigations) and Jake (a closeted LAPD cop). The ups and downs of their relationship made my heart ache. Lanyon has a very distinctive voice, often funny and sardonic, and the personalities of his characters really shine. Sometimes, also, I crave a book (or series, in this case) that really puts me through the emotional ringer. I was left feeling punched in the gut by this and it definitely satisfied my need for riding the emotional roller coaster. Iíd recommend the series to anyone who loves noirish detective fiction (or film) in the tradition of authors like Raymond Chandler. I think the books are best read consecutively and in order, thouAgh. Although this is primarily marketed as GLBT, and certainly explores the challenges associated with being gay, I very strongly feel the love story transcends gender. It is that well done and has definitely made my DIK list.
I can't thank you enough for this recommendation! I love Adrien and Jake and am now on my fourth. I checked out Lanyons web site and he has an " interview" of Lanyon interviewing Adrien and Jake. Good stuff.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr

This was a fantastic story in her running Virgin River series. I don't know how she's doing it, but the books are still remaining interesting to me. As she has been doing recently, this story involved mainly one couple and their relationship, Nora Crane and Tom Cavanaugh. They were delightful together and I didn't want it to end--always, to me, a sign that it's good writing and reading.

This was in the B- or C+ range for me. It reminded me too much of the minister's story with the "right type of girl" - plus this heroine had kids just like that story. Still I liked it but it is not a favorite.

I hope she does a stand alone this summer but I hadn't seen anything.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

Having recently read and enjoyed The Witness by Roberts, I was somewhat hopeful when I opened the pages to The Last Boyfriend. Unfortunately, it was just like book #2 of most any of Roberts' recent series--in other words, nothing bad, but nothing great either. The main characters, Owen and Avery, lifelong friends, are interested in each other first for the sex. I didn't get beyond that in their relationship, though, and really didn't get the "love." The dialogue was flippant and the story had no depth. In all honesty, half way through the book, I began skimming then DNF'd it somewhere after that. Oh, well--The Witness will have to hold me for a while, I guess.

The next story in the series is with Hope and Ryder. There's some conflict with them in the first two books, which, of course, will be resolved in the third one. Oh, yes--the ghost can leave the series anytime she wants. It would make no difference one way or another, but may shorten up the storyline, which could be a positive.

You know for the past two years I had said, I not reading anymore NR trilogy books . . . but everytime one comes out I think maybe this one will be different. As of right now I don't plan on reading the third.

It is not like they are horrible books, but my expectations on a NR book are so high -and it very disappointing when they are just so so - which they have been for a while.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmiley wrote:
I can't thank you enough for this recommendation! I love Adrien and Jake and am now on my fourth. I checked out Lanyons web site and he has an " interview" of Lanyon interviewing Adrien and Jake. Good stuff.

You are welcome, and glad you are enjoying them as well. I somehow missed the interviews, so thanks for the heads-up on that.

I also read Come Unto These Yellow Sands and enjoyed that one as well. I'm having to pace myself with the Lanyon books, though, because once I pick one up I can't put it down and I actually have work I need to get done.
csmiley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
csmiley wrote:

You are welcome, and glad you are enjoying them as well. I somehow missed the interviews, so thanks for the heads-up on that.

I also read Come Unto These Yellow Sands and enjoyed that one as well. I'm having to pace myself with the Lanyon books, though, because once I pick one up I can't put it down and I actually have work I need to get done.
it seems I'm in the same boat Very Happy . I put down Catherine The Great and ordered up Unto These Yellow Sounds. I loved it! Never would I have thought to read m/m until you suggested the Adrien English mysteries. He is an excellent writer and will check out his others.
PWNN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanyon is an auto-buy for me and I would recommend almost all his work but of his stand alones I'd also highly rec Fair Game and Snowball In Hell. He has another lighter more humorous mystery series - Holmes & Moriarty - Somebody Killed His Editor & All She Wrote and a bunch of novellas and short stories of which Lone Star & I Spy Something Bloody are among my favorites. He's also written some spec fic and fantasy that I enjoy.
csmiley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Lanyon is an auto-buy for me and I would recommend almost all his work but of his stand alones I'd also highly rec Fair Game and Snowball In Hell. He has another lighter more humorous mystery series - Holmes & Moriarty - Somebody Killed His Editor & All She Wrote and a bunch of novellas and short stories of which Lone Star & I Spy Something Bloody are among my favorites. He's also written some spec fic and fantasy that I enjoy.

Thank you. It seems I have a new favorite!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: