AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imogene Robertson books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Imogene Robertson books Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone on this list was reading these (I think someone on the list recommended them). Anyway, you can get the most recent book, Circle of Shadows, as a Kindle book here in the U.S. It isn't in print here yet.

I started reading it yesterday, and will certainly finish by this weekend if I don't slow down. These are page turners for me.

There are romances in the book, but my favorite "couple" right now are, of course, Mrs. Westerman and Gabriel Crowther. Gabriel is in his 50s, and Harriet is in her 30s, and yet I feel a kind of romance going on, despite the fact that Gabriel is such a recluse. I have been looking for romances featuring older people (surely it isn't only the young who fall in love). I would appreciate any suggestions. I loved Judith Landsdowne's Regency romances, but she seems to have been about the only author who wrote stories about older people. Not many historicals even feature people over the age of 40 as main characters.

The only book I can compare to these is Stephanie Barron's stand-alone book A Flaw in the Blood, which I liked very much.

The other book I loved was Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, though it isn't a historical. I keep seeing Stephen Dillane as the Major (when I am not envisioning him as Sherlock Holmes).

Denise
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Harriet and Gabriel! Particularly in the first and third books, their dialog is so witty and fun. The first book is available in audio format, too - I asked her on her blog but Ms. Robertson isn't sure about plans to record any of the others. She's approachable and responsive online, fun to chat with.

I especially love that Robertson created a background for Harriet that explains her more modern sensibilities without making her a time-traveling feminist in period dress. I also like that she makes Harriet suffer for her outgoing ways, that seems historically accurate to me. And, it deepens Harriet's bond with Crowther. Especially in Island of Bones, you can feel them relax with one another, relieved not to have to pretend social niceties. The stressful moments when they slip and use first names are rare and poignant. They don't get as many scenes together in Circle.

I definitely think Gabriel's in love with Harriet, but I don't think Harriet sees him romantically yet, having known a young, virile, adventurous husband. And I think Gabriel would beat himself to death with his own walking stick before he'd bring it up.

Re: older lovers, Denise - It's not historical, but have you read Jeanne Ray's Julie and Romeo?
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an interesting series, but confusing. Can you tell me something about the series in general? I went on Robertson's web-site, but there was nothing about the order of books, and the description of the one you mentioned was very confusing. Do the books have to be read in order, and what is the first one? It seems, on Amazon, that she's written quite a few books, but I can't figure out if they are more than one series.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Imogene Robertson's Books (Order of Series) Reply with quote

You will want to read them in order to see the development of the characters over time. There are secondary characters who are interesting and have their own story going on, too (Harriet's sister Rachel, Daniel Clode, Rachel's beloved, Owen Graves, guardian of the Earl of Sussex).

The first book, Instruments of Darkness, is still my favorite, mostly because of the pacing. It is really a page-turner. I was impressed at the time by the plotting and the way all the parts of the book held together. That book is really a tour de force of writing, if you note that kind of thing. What I mean is that a lot of writers can carry off a story as a kind of formula or as a character study, but Instruments of Darkness is just plain art on all levels--characterization, plotting, setting, etc.

The second book is titled Anatomy of Murder. It is both exciting and tragic.

The third, in which we learn something of Gabriel's past, is also intriguing, but I will say I liked the first two books better (though not at all sorry for having read Island of Bones).

The most recent book is Circle of Shadows, and so far (I am not even a quarter of the way in), there are some lovely moments. I am intrigued by the side plots, wondering if they will come together as they did in the first book.

Basically, the books are set in the 1780s. Harriet Westerman is the wife of a naval man. She traveled the world with him until her father died and left her younger sister alone at home. Harriet herself has a son, and so she and her small family are residing in England while Harriet's husband is off fighting the Americans. Harriet's estate abuts the land of the Earl of Sussex. She gets drawn into murder investigation when she finds a body in the wood. She contacts the only person she knows can help her determine who he is and how she died: Gabriel Crowther, a 50 year old reclusive anatomist.

You might look at the descriptions of the other books on Amazon.

Denise
JMM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I LOVE those books! Wonderful!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: