AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips' The Great Escape
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bijoux

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Susan Elizabeth Phillips' The Great Escape Reply with quote

Avon is holding a vote on the cover and the first chapter is up on SEP's site.
goldberry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. She's one of most frequently re-read authors.

Just sent the page directly to my Kindle using the InstaPaper bookmarklet. Reading it on my Kindle with my second cuppa on this beautiful day off!
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Susan Elizabeth Phillips' The Great Escape Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Avon is holding a vote on the cover and the first chapter is up on SEP's site.

wow big choices Rolling Eyes shiny pink foil or shiny gold foil. I think they just did it because you had to like them first on Facebook.

Thank for the info about the first chapter.
bijoux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First four chapters are up.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading those 4 chapters I do not want to buy this book. Was Lucy this stupid and unlikable in her previous appearance in a prior book? And as to the hero.....I know he's putting on a jerk act to get rid of Lucy - and who can blame him for that - but there is a line between a sexy arsehole and an outright creep. And IMO SEP steps over the line with "Panda". (What a stupid name!)

I did like two previous SEP heroines other readers found very un-rootable, but judging by these sample chapters - I am not enticed.

What do other people think?
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a huge fan of SEP for a long time, have most of her books in my (very limited) keeper shelves. And I understand her "thing" is to give her characters huuuuge growth arcs, especially the heroes. In fact, I've long said she's one of the few authors who can pull off turning a jerk into a hero, if the reader has enough patience to trust that she'll do just that.

The hero in DREAM A LITTLE DREAM (my first SEP 15 or so years ago) is a case in point. But as I recall by the third or fourth chapter we're made privy to *why* Gabe's being an a-hole, so we at least understand his bad attitude...and thus start rooting for the heroine to be his salvation, which she ultimately is.

However...I'm seven chapters in with CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE, and am having a lot of issues with many of the characters, especially Teddy Beaudine. I still want to trust that he'll be redeemed, but by this point I'd like to see at least a hint or two that he is redeemable, that there's a reason we should want to see him and the heroine get together.

As I said, I know SEP's schtick -- very well -- but I don't recall being quite this annoyed before. I don't expect characters (my own or another author's) to be flawless, but for the redemption theme to work for me I need to see/feel some indication of the character's underlying goodness, and the motivation for his/her flaws, fairly early on.

But that's just me. Wink

Karen T.
www.karentempleton.com
goldberry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like chapter 4. One thing's for sure... I won't be buying it, especially with the cost of the eBook! Wonder how long it will take to get it from the brick and mortar library?

I've enjoyed almost all of her previous titles, but once an author turns me off, it's rare I read them again. I actually enjoy the couple of books that folks are so vocally negative about, but this may be the last of SEP's books I'll read. So many books, too little time.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen Templeton wrote:
I've been a huge fan of SEP for a long time, have most of her books in my (very limited) keeper shelves. And I understand her "thing" is to give her characters huuuuge growth arcs, especially the heroes. In fact, I've long said she's one of the few authors who can pull off turning a jerk into a hero, if the reader has enough patience to trust that she'll do just that.

The hero in DREAM A LITTLE DREAM (my first SEP 15 or so years ago) is a case in point. But as I recall by the third or fourth chapter we're made privy to *why* Gabe's being an a-hole, so we at least understand his bad attitude...and thus start rooting for the heroine to be his salvation, which she ultimately is.

However...I'm seven chapters in with CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE, and am having a lot of issues with many of the characters, especially Teddy Beaudine. I still want to trust that he'll be redeemed, but by this point I'd like to see at least a hint or two that he is redeemable, that there's a reason we should want to see him and the heroine get together.

As I said, I know SEP's schtick -- very well -- but I don't recall being quite this annoyed before. I don't expect characters (my own or another author's) to be flawless, but for the redemption theme to work for me I need to see/feel some indication of the character's underlying goodness, and the motivation for his/her flaws, fairly early on.

But that's just me. Wink

Karen T.
www.karentempleton.com

I did like Teddy though pretty much right away. He did have a case of arseholitis but I gave him a break because of the way he got humiliated and left at the altar, and the part the heroine played in that. And Teddy even early on in his book is Prince Charming in comparison to "Panda", the hero of this new book. That guy is just awful.
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did like Teddy though pretty much right away. He did have a case of arseholitis but I gave him a break because of the way he got humiliated and left at the altar, and the part the heroine played in that. And Teddy even early on in his book is Prince Charming in comparison to "Panda", the hero of this new book. That guy is just awful.

So...Teddy's acting like a jerkwad because he's been hurt? And because he blames Meg for what happened? (Although what I'm getting so far is that his pride's wounded more than his heart.) In that case, then he's like a lot of the thorn-in-their-paws Har Presents heroes. Who don't really do it for me, either. Wink All that bellowing and ranting and glowering is hard on the nerves, LOL.

However, I will keep reading and see how it goes...

Karen T.
www.karentempleton.com
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen Templeton wrote:

So...Teddy's acting like a jerkwad because he's been hurt? And because he blames Meg for what happened? (Although what I'm getting so far is that his pride's wounded more than his heart.) In that case, then he's like a lot of the thorn-in-their-paws Har Presents heroes. Who don't really do it for me, either. Wink All that bellowing and ranting and glowering is hard on the nerves, LOL.

However, I will keep reading and see how it goes...

Karen T.
www.karentempleton.com

I thought that book was OK, but, if I'm remembering correctly, I was about halfway through and wondering if the entire thing was going to be from Meg's POV. Am I wrong about that? I really felt that it lacked early sections from Ted's POV. It's all about Meg and how the town is treating her. Then, poof, in comes Ted. Where was he before? We don't get his personalization of the aborted wedding. We just get Meg's version of how Ted behaved. The book, overall, was OK, but I wanted more Ted-speak. I didn't feel that SEP let us know him as he was before the relationship started.

I read/and then skimmed the 4 chapters of the new book, and I guess I'll wait for the library, particularly after reading the review. I get that Lucy feels that she is beholden to Mat and Nealy, and that she wants to be Perfect. But I find it difficult to imagine building a book on that. Plus, I want to know what Panda's deal is--I'd rather KNOW what he is, rather than find out when Lucy does. Again, limited male POV in this one, as well, at least through chaper 4. It's one thing when it's a first person book, but if it isn't then share the stage.

Judy
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of fairness... Wink

I just finished CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE and was very glad I stuck with it, despite my initial doubts. I do think as romance readers (and writers!) we're conditioned to be impatient, to expect to have most of the questions answered, or at least addressed, early on. And I'm still not sure I wouldn't have preferred to see earlier hints -- and I do mean hints, not an all-out explanation -- of Ted's internal struggle. Then again, since I couldn't fault how the story played out otherwise, maybe not. Rolling Eyes

So. Another one for my keeper shelf.

Karen T.
www.karentempleton.com
goldberry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be a firm believer in 'forgive and forget' because I'd forgotten if it hadn't been for the familiar characters in CMI, I would've stopped reading SEP after WIDFL. Rolling Eyes
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:

I thought that book was OK, but, if I'm remembering correctly, I was about halfway through and wondering if the entire thing was going to be from Meg's POV. Am I wrong about that? I really felt that it lacked early sections from Ted's POV. It's all about Meg and how the town is treating her. Then, poof, in comes Ted. Where was he before? We don't get his personalization of the aborted wedding. We just get Meg's version of how Ted behaved. The book, overall, was OK, but I wanted more Ted-speak. I didn't feel that SEP let us know him as he was before the relationship started.
Judy

I had the same feeling about CMI. There was so little of Ted in the book. There was nothing from his POV until very late in the book and I wondered at the time if this was intentional, and if so, why? Ted has changed so much from the sort of geeky little boy readers first met in FANCY PANTS, to the charming young prodigy in LADY BE GOOD but I'm not sure what kind of man he finally is in CMI. Yes he's a great guy on the surface with great causes he supports, but I wondered if this was the real Ted or just a persona he put on for the town. I liked the book okay, but it seemed like a missed opportunity as far as Ted's character is concerned.
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up The Great Escape at the library yesterday and read it straight through. I found it enjoyable and would give it a B.

Unlike AAR Reviewer Maggie, I bought Lucy's actions and motivations and I did not find her annoying. Actually, without giving away any spoilers, I thought her actions were plausible, especially given her history. Also, I was not bothered by Panda's name or the bumper stickers. Actually, I liked this hero, a lot. I can't say the same for the heroes in SEP's last three outings, whom I did not like at all. And since much of the discussion here has been about Call Me Irresistible, I would say that I never warmed up to Ted Beaudine. For me, he was just a cardboard cut out, couldn't understand what Meg saw in him and can completely understand why Lucy didn't go through with the wedding.

As for The Great Escape, I believe I'm understanding AAR Maggie to say she found an unsatisfying element to the relationship between Lucy and Panda, I agree. I would have liked to have seen a lot more interaction between them, especially at the beginning. Unfortunately, I felt I was missing something, as though I was being told instead of shown. The effect was that I didn't have the emotional tugging of heartstrings that I want in an "A" book. The only truly emotional moment, for me, had nothing to do with any of the romances.

I think it's interesting that AAR Maggie felt that The Great Escape evolved into a woman's fiction and became more enjoyable. I felt the same way about Natural Born Charmer. The relationship of the women and the theme of family responsibility in that book appealed to me much more than the romance. I felt at that time that I would not have been surprised at all if SEP's next book had been women's fiction.
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by clutterconqueror on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: