AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maggie Robinson's Master of Sin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Maggie Robinson's Master of Sin Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone else has read this book and what they thought of it? Wendy, the reviewer stated the reason for her low grade was more a matter of taste and it might appeal more to someone else. And she also said the writing wasn't bad and the plot was interesting. I thought Wendy did an excellent job in her review and was very fair and honest.

I'm wondering because this book intrigues me. I've read a couple where the hero was a prostitute; Broken Wing and Fallen From Grace come to mind and I adored both of them. Also Derek Craven in Dreaming of You certainly gave the appearance of one and that's another book I adore. I'm so tired of 'titled' heroes in historicals and would be more likely to read a historical where the hero wasn't a duke or earl or anything like that.

So I'm looking for opinions before I jump into the pool and get this one.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Maggie Robinson's Master of Sin Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has read this book and what they thought of it? Wendy, the reviewer stated the reason for her low grade was more a matter of taste and it might appeal more to someone else. And she also said the writing wasn't bad and the plot was interesting. I thought Wendy did an excellent job in her review and was very fair and honest.

I love the three books you mentioned also, so I really, really wanted this one to be good. And I did love the first couple of chapters.

I'll be honest, I don't know if maybe the ick factor bothered me more because I was so bummed when the book became all angsty, or maybe I hated the angst more than usual because I found the book kind of icky. Anyway, I had a very hard time finishing it when the hero started pushing the heroine away after sleeping with her. The things he said were cruel and she just blew it off. I hate that.

Have you read Lightning That Lingers by Tom and Sharon Curtis? The hero isn't a prostitute, but a male stripper (Full Monty) who finds his profession demoralizing when he meets the love of his life. Its pretty old-school as far as the writing and tone of the book, but its a lovely story nonetheless.
erika

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if the pedophile who abused the hero for years ever gets punished??? Is this hero bi-sexual? I'm not sure I can believe the hero will stay faithful with the heroine and eventually stray into male affair if so.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I'm curious if the pedophile who abused the hero for years ever gets punished??? Is this hero bi-sexual? I'm not sure I can believe the hero will stay faithful with the heroine and eventually stray into male affair if so.

RE: the pedophile - You learn early on that he's dead, and no, while he didn't have a pleasant ending it wasn't as bad as he deserved, IMO.

RE: bi-sexual - I thought the same thing! But its made clear that the hero will do men but prefers women.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you read Lightning That Lingers by Tom and Sharon Curtis? The hero isn't a prostitute, but a male stripper (Full Monty) who finds his profession demoralizing when he meets the love of his life. Its pretty old-school as far as the writing and tone of the book, but its a lovely story nonetheless.

Yes, I have read that one too and yep, really enjoyed it even with the old school feel to it Smile
erika

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendydfw wrote:
erika wrote:

RE: the pedophile - You learn early on that he's dead, and no, while he didn't have a pleasant ending it wasn't as bad as he deserved, IMO.

RE: bi-sexual - I thought the same thing! But its made clear that the hero will do men but prefers women.

Thanks for the info. I can deal with tortured heroes not so much with tortured heroines- too much angst- so i'll pass on buying this.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many books with male prostitutes, but if you've liked them you might enjoy Evangeline Collins' Her Ladyship's Companion. It kind of fell apart at the very end, but I liked the characters. Here's a link to the review:

http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=7255
Natalie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Schone had a couple of books with male prostitutes.
I think I'll check this one out, despite the review.
jaime

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12504529-master-of-sin

Here's what the folks over at goodreads think of the book, I guess it's part of a series.

I second the love for Lightening That Lingers and Fallen From Grace.
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it and, honestly, it was just ok. You're not going to miss much if you skip this one. The premise was interesting but I wasn't wowed by the writing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: