AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Scorpio Races - for McKinley's The Blue Sword fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kari wrote:
As a longtime Robin McKinley fan I have read most (but not all) of her books. I have not read Deerskin, since my sister-in-law read it first and warned me that I probably wouldn't like it.

My favorites are The Blue Sword and Beauty, which I have read and reread many times. I did enjoy Chalice but I've only read it once. It was a beautifully written book. I adored Pegasus, but was very frustrated by the cliffhanger ending. The sequel won't be out until 2014, and I was absolutely furious when I read that on her website! Not only that, it's going to be a trilogy. She is a very slow writer, but her best books are wonderful. Since you loved Sunshine, you might be interested to know that Shadow, her book in 2013, is going to be in the same world (but NOT a sequel, according to the author). She says that not all of her books are meant to have sequels.

According to what I've read, she insists that she doesn't write what she wants - she waits for the stories to tell themselves, and then she writes them down. She has no control over the stories that come to her; she has been waiting for years, for instance, for the time to come when she can return to her Damar series. So far, she has written The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword, along with some short stories also related to the series, and some stories featuring Luthe, the wizard who is part of the Damar world.

I can also recommend the two anthologies she wrote with her husband Peter Dickinson, Water and Fire. Also good are the two anthologies The Door in the Hedge and The Knot in the Grain, collections of original fairy tales that are quite charming. I haven't read Dragonhaven yet, but I suspect it might appeal to someone who enjoyed Sunshine.

Ah, thanks for the info about the next book.
Nicole M.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Got it. Read it. What shall I say? Stiefvater's Scorpio Races was a good book that I just didn't like.

This is me, too. The prose is lovely and the novel deserves the praise it received, but I found it slow-moving with confusing mythology that's never made sufficiently clear (really, what's up with the horses? Why are they blood hungry and why do people feel the need to ride them?). But most disappointing to me was the romance--I thought it had great potential and since I've read the Shiver trilogy, I know the author can write romance. But this one was under-developed, in my opinion, and a waste of a so much potential.

I liked the book, but it didn't move me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: