AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Noon by Nora Roberts--a great read...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: High Noon by Nora Roberts--a great read... Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you out there have read this book yet, but I'm about 2/3 of the way thru it and am enjoying it a lot. Roberts delivers for me more than she doesn't. But recently, she's had a few out that have not worked at all with me. The last book of hers that I truly liked a lot was Blue Smoke. But this one is keeping my attention and I love the characters, Phoebe and Duncan and Phoebe's kid, mother and friend of the family. Duncan also has a few friends that lend themselves to the story. However, the main draw is between Phoebe and Duncan. The banter between them is wonderful and who wouldn't love to have a hero such as he? Well, maybe some wouldn't, but I'll take him.

There's some suspense going on. Right now I sense who it is, but I may be wrong. She's not doing a bad job on that part of it either. Usually I say that Roberts leans to light supsense when she does it (other than the Robb books, that is); but I'm into this one surprisingly well.

I think the reviewer was right-on with her review of it.

Last edited by Tee on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
becky d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: High Noon Reply with quote

I am so glad you like it, Tee; I have it and plan to start reading it asap, maybe tonight. It sounds like the hero in this one is, shall we say, "nicer" than Brody in Angels Fall?
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: High Noon Reply with quote

becky d wrote:
It sounds like the hero in this one is, shall we say, "nicer" than Brody in Angels Fall?

Yep, I can take Duncan a lot easier than I could Brody. If I recall correctly, becky, you gave Angels Fall the benefit of the doubt and continued on and ended up truly enjoying it. It appeared to receive wonderful reviews. I just couldn't hang on. My loss, I'm sure, but it wouldn't have been the first time. Blue Smoke came after that one and I loved it. However, again, that may not have been the opinion of most people.

But I fell right into place with High Noon. Good strong heroine, without being overbearing, and a wonderful hero, just this side of being a bit too considerate to be believed. But he'll work for me. I still have a bit to go in it, but it's holding up and I don't expect it to unravel now considering Roberts' way of writing.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You guys are on the ball here. I am waiting for mine to ship after pre-ordering from B & N. Glad to here the early buzz is good. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the early opinions.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, I was No 1 on the reserve list, Tinabelle. That rarely happens around here. We have some other things going on this month and thought I should get right to reading it. Because if I have to go back on the list, I'll probably be No 203, or something like that.
Jane A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, thanks for the feedback. I am not a huge Nora fan, but I read an excerpt of this book and it looked really good. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I think I'll have to find a copy.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Jane, if you're not normally one who enjoys Roberts' stuff, I would suggest you search the library first. I'm still not totally finished with it (almost), but I am enjoying it a lot. Definitely one of her better ones for me. But you know how that goes. It may not work for you the same way.
Jane A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, well I'm cheap, I don't buy hardbacks. Rolling Eyes So it will have to be the library.

I wouldn't say I don't like Nora Roberts, but I often find her just okay. I almost hate saying this, because I admire her a lot based on her online presence. At any rate, the excerpt I read sucked me in and this will be one I try. I think in general I like her single titles more than her trilogies.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jane, I fid finally finish it last night. I just absolutely loved it. I'm not one to gush on heroes, but I loved Duncan. Considering his makeup and background and recent success, Roberts could have painted him just a bit different and it wouldn't have worked, IMO. He was just right. He was believable (but this is fiction, of course, so you have to give some leeway). Phoebe was strong, but she wasn't obnoxious as was the female character in Northern Lights (a book I totally disliked). The suspense was good enough and in my opinion not really all that graphic (occasionally, in spots, but not horrible). The supporting characters were good and...and I just enjoyed the whole thing!
becky d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: High Noon Reply with quote

So good to hear this! I will try to read the whole thing this weekend. I am hopeful (but wary) of having similar luck with Linda Howard's new one that is due out soon, the rom/suspense novel...has anyone heard any early buzz??
Estelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't say I don't like Nora Roberts, but I often find her just okay. I almost hate saying this, because I admire her a lot based on her online presence.

That's my view too. I've tried a few of her books but I don't connect with them and never get the impetus to finish them but she's always so very classy online, she always has something interesting to say.

I too got sucked in by the excerpt so I might try this one when it comes out in paperback (I almost never buy hardbacks).
arabrab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Does Nora Roberts have a thing about car trouble Reply with quote

I just finished High Noon, and definitely enjoyed it. But I noticed that Phoebe repeatedly notes that she's having car trouble. Well, so did Reece in Angels Fall. And Eve Dallas always has car trouble.

Got to wonder if some English grad student years from now will end up writing her thesis on the influence of car problems on Nora Roberts' works.

On a less silly note, one thing I very much like about Roberts' characters is that they seem genuinely real. They have quirks, but she appreciates good people who work hard and deal with what they have to deal with. Her characters have always had lives before we see them in the book, and they're not the kinds of lives featured on telenovelas. A kid features fairly prominently in this story, but unlike the demon seed in Beverly Barton's finale to the Raintree saga, this kid seemed likable and normal and entirely plausible.

A good read, and even better at 55% off list price thanks to a special B&N coupon.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Does Nora Roberts have a thing about car trouble Reply with quote

arabrab wrote:
But I noticed that Phoebe repeatedly notes that she's having car trouble. Well, so did Reece in Angels Fall. And Eve Dallas always has car trouble. [....] On a less silly note, one thing I very much like about Roberts' characters is that they seem genuinely real. They have quirks, but she appreciates good people who work hard and deal with what they have to deal with.

Angels Fall was one of Roberts' books that I didn't like at all, arabab, so I don't remember the car thing. Also, I don't read her Robb books (although I read the first one when it came out and attempted the second one). Therefore, I can't relate to the car trouble here either.

But I can totally agree with you on the support characters, especially in this book. She does deal with their quirks as maybe we ourselves might try to do, before resorting to super drastic measures. Life just has a way of happening and we human beings try to dance and duck around things as best we can when things occur. Happy to hear you also enjoyed it. Definitely one of her best in a while, IMO.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoebe and Duncan seem to me like a scaled back, more believable version of Eve and Roarke, although I'll admit listening to Susan Erickson read the audio may be influencing me there, as she reads the Robb books. As the mom of a 7 year old, I think Carly seems more like she's around 4, but I like the rest of the supporting cast. There's definitely room for a sequel, but do you think Roberts would run two the-cop-and-the-millionaire series?
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Phoebe and Duncan seem to me like a scaled back, more believable version of Eve and Roarke {....} There's definitely room for a sequel, but do you think Roberts would run two the-cop-and-the-millionaire series?

Interesting thoughts, MrsFairfax. I felt these two main characters were also believable, and I think that's why I liked them so much. Would Roberts run a sequel to this? I honestly don't know. If you mean featuring the very same main characters, I don't think so. And there were really no other characters to manufacture a story for them (to my way of thinking anyway). Well, there was Dave and Eva, but I pretty much figured their ending out already. Oops, I forgot about Jake and her friend on the force (Liz?). Whatever she does, I absolutely loved this story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: