AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
More Unity

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maryskl



Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: More Unity Reply with quote

My daughter and I were having a discussion this morning about how far apart Republicans and Democrats seem to be. Since we all have to live in this country together, what would be some suggestions for finding some common ground?

My largest worry right now is the economy. I have three kids in college, just refinanced the house to get some of our expenses down and my husband and I are self-employed (therefore paying all insurance costs out of pocket). I imagine that most of my conservative friends are in the same or a similar boat. I don't believe that the conservative idea of cutting expenses back to 2008 levels is much of a plan, nor do I think that spending just to spend is the answer. I think targeted investment in helping along the construction industry would be one avenue to go. Both commercial and residential construction fuels the economy and until that gets back on track I think we will just continue to wallow in an economic malaise. I also think that hard economic times creates more insecurities in all areas so that we become more susceptible to fear-mongering. Is it possible for us to separate the wheat from the chaff and focus on what benefits all of us?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LizE



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: More Unity Reply with quote

maryskl wrote:
I think targeted investment in helping along the construction industry would be one avenue to go. Both commercial and residential construction fuels the economy and until that gets back on track I think we will just continue to wallow in an economic malaise.


I'm afraid that would just be an attempt to re-inflate the bubble. Housing prices have to correct--that's how free markets work. I don't think we can spend ourselves out of economic problems that are systemic. We need to start creating things again instead of having an economy based on the financial sector moving money around. But while the financial sector has such a stranglehold on government, we will continue to see more bailouts (like the credit union bailout yesterday) as all the complex financial instruments that enriched the banksters continue to fester away in our system.

We're in a pickle and no mistake. And I completely agree with you about the fear mongering. It works to keep the "common people" at each others' throats while business as usual goes on in Washington.

We should find common ground. I'm about as far from a conservative as one can get--and I'm definitely not a Democrat--but whatever I am, I have many of the same concerns as you, maryskl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KarenS



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Americans, I assume we all want a rosy future and a better life for ourselves as well as our children. I hope my kids will do as well or better than my husband and me financially and personally.

The kids today will be competing globally for jobs so that means they need to receive the best education possible. The way our public education system is structured they may not be able to hold their own. We need to stress science, math, critical thinking skills as well as encouraging creativity. We are doomed if we don't improve public education on all levels.

When did we decide we no longer need a middle class? From sending jobs overseas, attempting to raise the Social Security age, attempting to eliminate Medicare and eliminating pensions indicates that our middle class is a liability. Since we make up 99% of the citizenry why do we feel the other 1% is more important than the rest of us?

It's proclaimed that we are better off with limited government but in essence that means doing away with programs that benefit us. Every single one of these "entitlements" were put in place to assist us which in the long run benefits the country as well.

Without Medicare and Medicaid many of our local physicians, hospitals and nursing homes would close. Your health care provider is in business because of their reimbursement from the government. Where would we receive care if many of the hospitals were forced to close? Where do we place Mom and Dad when they no longer can care for themselves?

National security is not a big deal to me so why do we spend so much money on the military-industrial complex? Sure it provides jobs so that's why it gets such a big chunk of change but some of those measly billions could be better spent on infrastructure and research and development of alternative energy.

If we would only invest in our people we would be a lot better off. Since the 1980s the country's emphasis has not been geared towards the middle class. Now it's showing.

We have the money. We are choosing not to spend it wisely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maryskl



Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
As Americans, I assume we all want a rosy future and a better life for ourselves as well as our children. I hope my kids will do as well or better than my husband and me financially and personally.

The kids today will be competing globally for jobs so that means they need to receive the best education possible. The way our public education system is structured they may not be able to hold their own. We need to stress science, math, critical thinking skills as well as encouraging creativity. We are doomed if we don't improve public education on all levels.

When did we decide we no longer need a middle class? From sending jobs overseas, attempting to raise the Social Security age, attempting to eliminate Medicare and eliminating pensions indicates that our middle class is a liability. Since we make up 99% of the citizenry why do we feel the other 1% is more important than the rest of us?

It's proclaimed that we are better off with limited government but in essence that means doing away with programs that benefit us. Every single one of these "entitlements" were put in place to assist us which in the long run benefits the country as well.

Without Medicare and Medicaid many of our local physicians, hospitals and nursing homes would close. Your health care provider is in business because of their reimbursement from the government. Where would we receive care if many of the hospitals were forced to close? Where do we place Mom and Dad when they no longer can care for themselves?

National security is not a big deal to me so why do we spend so much money on the military-industrial complex? Sure it provides jobs so that's why it gets such a big chunk of change but some of those measly billions could be better spent on infrastructure and research and development of alternative energy.

If we would only invest in our people we would be a lot better off. Since the 1980s the country's emphasis has not been geared towards the middle class. Now it's showing.

We have the money. We are choosing not to spend it wisely.


What a GREAT post!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group