AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Most Recent Movie You Watched Reply with quote

My most recent movie is actually a rerelease, "Orlando", based on the Virginia Woolf novel and starring Tilda Swinton. Orlando is a beautiful young man befriended by Queen Elizabeth in 1600. She gifts him with an estate and, even more important, the gift of never growing old. The story follows him for 400 years and is about politics, literature, gender, and identity. It's beautifully filmed, and even though I never for a moment thought of Swinton as a young man, she has the perfect enigmatic face for the role. In one of those odd coincidences of timing, the very day after seeing the movie I read a brief interview with the director of the Washington Ballet who cited "Orlando" as his favorite movie.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently watched the "indie" film Bottle Shock based on the true story of the Montelena vineyards in CA. The film tells the story of this small wine producer in the mid-70's who rocked the French wine world by winning a blind taste test against France's finest. It put the CA vineyards on the map. Stars Bill Pullman and Alan Rickman. Great little movie.
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Recent Movie You Watched Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
My most recent movie is actually a rerelease, "Orlando", based on the Virginia Woolf novel and starring Tilda Swinton. Orlando is a beautiful young man befriended by Queen Elizabeth in 1600. She gifts him with an estate and, even more important, the gift of never growing old. The story follows him for 400 years and is about politics, literature, gender, and identity. It's beautifully filmed, and even though I never for a moment thought of Swinton as a young man, she has the perfect enigmatic face for the role. In one of those odd coincidences of timing, the very day after seeing the movie I read a brief interview with the director of the Washington Ballet who cited "Orlando" as his favorite movie.

I saw this movie years ago when it first came out in theaters. I had not read the book and knew nothing about the story, so it came as a (pleasant) surprise to me. Tilda Swinton was great in the film and I think the only reason she could pull off the male part was that it was set in a period where men dressed more flamboyantly.

Most recently I saw a documentary film about twin sisters born in Cuba, both trained ballet dancers. One sister married an American and left Cuba for the US after Castro; the other stayed in Cuba and teaches in a state-run ballet school. It was fascinating and very poignant. I wish I could remember the title of the film . . .
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Cairo Time Reply with quote

On Saturday I saw a lovely film, "Cairo Time", starring Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig. Clarkson plays Juliette, a Canadian woman who travels to Cairo to visit her husband, who works for the UN in Gaza. Work interferes and so he sends Tareq, a former colleague, to meet her at the airport. Juliette finds that Egypt is a difficult place for a woman alone, not just in the men-only cafes but in the consular world of her husband, and she calls on Tareq to help her navigate until Mark can join her. The movie is about her discovery of this fascinating new place and about the growing emotional connection between her and Tareq. Clarkson is a wonderful actress. She manages to convey everything -- from exhaustion and crankiness when she first arrives (I know exactly how she feels after a long plane ride) to playfulness and joy -- with subtlety and total believability. And Siddig is tall, reed thin, and very, very appealing. It's lovely to see him in a role where, as he says, he is a human being and not a symbol. This movie is quiet and interior but definitely worth seeing.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see The Expendables Friday. It was okay, for what it was. Lots of action and violence; very little cheese. (Other than the fact that so much of it was just OTT.) There was a moment when I was expecting a "kiss the girl" scene, but I was happy that they didn't go there, and instead settled for just a hug.
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a movie, but this summer I watched Doctor Who, Seasons 1-4 from the revived series. My son's been bugging me for years now to get on board the DW train, but I'm not a big sci-fi fan so I kept saying no. However, I was laid up this past summer recovering from surgery so I was a captive audience. I'm still not a sci-fi fan, but man was I glad I watched those!

Loved, loved, loved David Tennant. He's officially my doctor. For all you that are in England, I kinda get it now. I don't think I've cried that much, well, ever.

My son is just dying for Season 5 to come out on DVD so we can catch the new doctor, but I'm still heartbroken!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
Not a movie, but this summer I watched Doctor Who, Seasons 1-4 from the revived series. My son's been bugging me for years now to get on board the DW train, but I'm not a big sci-fi fan so I kept saying no. However, I was laid up this past summer recovering from surgery so I was a captive audience. I'm still not a sci-fi fan, but man was I glad I watched those!

Loved, loved, loved David Tennant. He's officially my doctor. For all you that are in England, I kinda get it now. I don't think I've cried that much, well, ever.

My son is just dying for Season 5 to come out on DVD so we can catch the new doctor, but I'm still heartbroken!

Hmmm, I wonder if you saw the episode that Diana Gabaldon saw that inspiried Jamie's character! She says in one of the episodes the Doctor has a young Scottish sidekick, picked up in 1745, named Jamie MacCrimmon. I keep telling myself to try and seek it out.

I've got Killers and Repo Men here to watch but haven't done it yet.

Linda
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va said
Quote:

Hmmm, I wonder if you saw the episode that Diana Gabaldon saw that inspiried Jamie's character! She says in one of the episodes the Doctor has a young Scottish sidekick, picked up in 1745, named Jamie MacCrimmon. I keep telling myself to try and seek it out.

Linda, that was actually from one of the much older series, 1966-1969 I believe!

The link below has pictures of the actor who played him all kilted up as Jamie.

http://www.lallybroch.com/LOL/original-jamie.html

jebe said
Quote:

He's great! I also thought Christopher Eccleston did a wonderful job reviving the series too (but Tennant is much more attractive.) Also loved the Torchwood cross-overs with Captain Jack! The Shakespeare Code and The Girl In The Fireplace are two of my favorites!![/quote]
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
I also thought Christopher Eccleston did a wonderful job reviving the series too (but Tennant is much more attractive.) Also loved the Torchwood cross-overs with Captain Jack! The Shakespeare Code and The Girl In The Fireplace are two of my favorites!!

Absolutely, Christopher Eccleston did a stand up job of jump starting the series. But yes, David Tennant is just a bit more attractive, and come on, that hair! Very Happy Plus I think DT was in the role a little bit longer so my attachment grew, he fleshed it out a little more for me. Did I mention the hair? Wink

I can't decide on my favorite episodes, nor my favorite companion. They were all so good in different ways. Loved that Martha and Mickey ended up together. I'm definitely going to have to watch the series again some time, preferably when I'm not all stupid on Tylenol 3!

I haven't seen any Torchwood episodes, but Captain Jack was a gem! Loved every episode that he was in. That series is really a treasure.
Cora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

I haven't seen any Torchwood episodes, but Captain Jack was a gem! Loved every episode that he was in. That series is really a treasure.

Word of warning, I'd be very careful with Torchwood. It was intended as an adult spin-off of Doctor Who, so it's more explicit in language and sexual content than Doctor Who. That's not a problem, but the writers seem to confuse adult with dark and depressing as hell.

I actually enjoyed the first season of Torchwood a whole lot, even more than Doctor Who. However, the Jack in Torchwood is a somewhat different character than the Jack in Doctor Who - Torchwood season 1 basically shows a chronically depressed Jack due to being abandoned by the Doctor and Rose and stuck with an inexplicable case of immortality. There are also some emotionally harrowing episodes. There's also, for those that mind that sort of thing, an infidelity plotline involving secondary characters, though I disliked the partner cheated upon in those episodes so much that I kept hoping the cheating couple would get together, because they had so much more chemistry. On the plus side, Torchwood also features a lovely m/m relationship and I liked all five main characters. Particularly the three male characters, Jack, Owen and Ianto, are great.

However, the male SF fans believed to be the target demographic didn't like the show and so they retooled Torchwood from season 2 on and IMO destroyed the show. The show needlessly and cruelly killed off three of its five main characters (including my favourite) in the space of four episodes. Season 3, a mini series called Children of the Earth, is seriously nasty and involves children being hurt and even killed, sometimes by their own families. And Captain Jack, lovely funny omnisexual Captain Jack, is involved in the deaths of children. Seasons 2 and 3 of Torchwood made me hate Captain Jack, a character I had previously liked a whole lot. It also made me dislike Martha, who gueststars in three episodes, because the Martha in Torchwood is quite different from the one in Doctor Who. And in the end, the show even soured me for Doctor Who, which I had liked long before the current incarnation started.

So if you want to watch Torchwood, try season 1 and don't watch seasons 2 and particularly 3 without reading spoilers first and deciding whether you really want to see it.
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, it's okay. DW is the only programme we watch as a family, and none of us were convinced by the pre-publicity that Matt Smith would ever replace David Tennant, but about ten minutes into the first episode of the new series, where he's tucking into fish fingers and custard, we all glanced at each other, sharing the happy feeling that He Would Do. (Steven Moffat: such a good writer.)

I'm all excited about the next series: I can't wait for the Neil Gaiman episode.

As for Torchwood, what Cora said.

(And, just in case you didn't know, the RSC recorded Tennant's Hamlet - they showed it here over Christmas, and I really enjoyed it.)
jebe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Cora and MMcA, duly noted on the Torchwood heads up. And I'm sure Matt Smith is just fine, I know I'll love him, too!
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora said
Quote:
However, the male SF fans believed to be the target demographic didn't like the show and so they retooled Torchwood from season 2 on and IMO destroyed the show...Season 3, a mini series called Children of the Earth, is seriously nasty and involves children being hurt and even killed... Seasons 2 and 3 of Torchwood made me hate Captain Jack, a character I had previously liked a whole lot... And in the end, the show even soured me for Doctor Who, which I had liked long before the current incarnation started.

Cora, I'm sorry that Torchwood tainted your feelings for Dr. Who, I've always kind of kept them separated in my head because of the drastically styles and tones but I did see Torchwood (season one) first then go back to watch Dr. Who to fill in the gaps. I then got hooked on Dr. Who.

Torchwood is extremely different and made for an adult audience. While I agree that the tone was darker in Season 2 and the deaths were painful (but I thought beautifully done and acted) I wasn't put off by them as they seemed no worse than I had seen on Buffy or Angel.

I agree completely that "Children Of Earth" was a HUGE departure and really went too far with Jack, the plot and killing off characters (killing one of the three remaining original main characters is a bit much.)

However to be fair, the mini-series was wildly popular with new audiences, which was its goal I believe, and as a result, there is a new Torchwood being made for Starz that will integrate the cast (what's left) from Wales with American Torchwood agents.

(Oh and just a note for any other Buffy fans, James Marsters (Spike) shows up in a few episodes of season 2 of Torchwood as a roguish old flame of Jack's.)

So yes Cora is right that Torchwood is Adult, with a capital A while Dr. Who is definitely family friendly.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perhaps would have been able to continue watching Doctor Who, if the production team hadn't insisted on bringing Torchwood and the Jack character back again and again. Jack even appeared in Doctor Who, a family show, after he had helped to kill children in Torchwood. Though that's not my only quibble with the new Doctor Who, I also realized towards the end of Tennant's tenure that I no longer found the Doctor an admirably character, I no longer even liked him.

I never connected to any of the characters on Buffy and Angel, so I didn't particularly care about their deaths either, though I did like Tara and was sorry to see her go. But I liked all five Torchwood main characters a whole lot. Besides, up to the end of season 2, no main character who had died in Torchwood or Doctor Who had stayed dead. A recurring character - whom I dislike and who was narrative deadweight anyway - is killed on camera by the end of season 1 and resurrected immediately thereafter. So it was pretty safe to assume that no main characters (and this character wasn't a main character, just an annoying hanger-on) would die in Doctor Who, Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures.

What is more, the deaths, both in season 2 and 3, were entirely needless and preventable. And one character, my favourite in fact, was put through a nasty wringer beforehand. The many deaths of people close to him also make Jack looks really bad, because not only is he unable or unwilling to protect his people. He didn't avenge them either.

Though I disliked season 2 even before characters started dying, because the characters I had enjoyed in season 1 had been changed, at least partly due to fan pressure. My deliciously snarky favourite character was first defanged and than killed off. And of the two romantic relationships inside the team, one was written out to the point that both writers and characters seemed to pretend it never happened (one character got together with someone else, the other died), because the moral sense of some fans was offended. And Captain Jack turns into a torturer, too.

As for season 3, I find the justification of the killing of children, killings in which Captain Jack is actively involved, a lot worse than the death of yet another main character (though I did like that character quite a bit, more than the two survivors). Yes, I know that character was many fans' favourite, but they killed my favourite character the year before and no one beat an eyelash.

As for the Americanized season 4, who will watch that? Most of the original Torchwood characters are dead and I for one don't care about replacement characters. Apparently, a lot of the original fans have already said they won't watch either. I don't think the show needs American agents either. TV is full of Americans and I for one enjoyed getting to see Welsh people once in a while.

Torchwood strikes me as another example of TV executives destroying a show watched and enjoyed by women to capture an imaginary demographic of twenty-something men. Besides, the British press had it in for Torchwood from day one and sometimes slammed the show before it had even aired.
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a new thread for Doctor Who/Torchwood/SJC!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: