AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our wonderful pets--let's share...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee - he didn't say the word 'cure' but he was very encouraging that the meds will help. I have to bring him back on Monday and will talk more with him about it.

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Tee - he didn't say the word 'cure' but he was very encouraging that the meds will help.

Sometimes that's the best we can do, even for humans when they develop certain issues. And getting a handle on a chronic condition is an okay thing. So, let's hope these meds do work for him. (There goes that pet prayer again! Laughing )
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Linda.. I'm so sorry to hear about Ranger. Who would have thought he would have had Lyme disease after you've been giving him the Frontline. I'm glad there is something you can do to treat him. I'm sending some get well vibes to Ranger- @@@@@get well soon little man.

Thanks Claire and Tee too! The prayers and vibes are muh appreciated.

As much as I drop on Frontline, it was the last thing I would have expected. He said that he may have had it as a puppy or later, no way to tell for sure. He did say that he has seen a heavy amount of cases of it in the past year so it sounds like it's thick in our area. Our house is halfway surrounded by woods so now we'll be taking extra precautions ourselves too, since we know the ticks around here have it. Yuk!

Linda
FriendlyFace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie, your pup is adorable! What a mug.

Linda, so sorry to hear about Ranger. For future preventatives, you might try adding a little bit of garlic to his food and/or a little raw Apple Cider Vinegar to his drinking water - the both are natural flea/tick deterrents.

Bev
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Friendly Face, I will definitely keep them in mind!

Here are four pics I snapped of Ranger today, he wanted me to throw the frisbee for him so bad but of course since he is limping I cannot.

What do you think Tee, do you think he's changed much?

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, he looks more mature, but he doesn't look too much larger when I compare these shots to the ones you posted back in December in the former thread that's now closed.

You said he weighs 80 pounds. How much did the vet think he should be weighing considering his size? Ranger is so cute and he really looks so healthy. Of course, I can't see him walk or run, so that would make a big difference. I hope he eventually gets back to where he should be, if that's a possibility. I know very little about this disease, so I can't make authentic comments. Headway is always being made, though, in just about everything. Just keep on keeping on with what is being suggested as therapy, though. Everybody does their part and hopefully it will all come together positively.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would like to see another 15lbs on him, not just empty pounds but muscle as part of that. He's been skinny though since he grew into adolescence, the pictures don't really show it but at certain angles you can see how much his ribs come in.

Because he's limping he's not walking or running well of course and his coat has lost some it's luster. Hopefully with meds we can get him healthy again. He's such a sweetie.

Linda
Debra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I love your Ranger's face!!! I hope he is feeling up to par very soon. Tee you baby is sooo cute!
If i could figure out how to post pictures I would show you my two babies. Dozer is a 7 year old 140 pound black lab. He is just a big baby!! We found out last year that he had a large mass on his face and there was nothing that could be done and he would be gone by Christmas. When I told the rescue group from where I got him, they felt so bad that they gave me a 11 week old lab puppy. Tucker will be a year next month and at 80 pounds he is 100% a mommies dog! The best thing about Tucker is he has given Dozer something, and Dozer is still with us. Now he has his good and bad days, but to the Vet's surprise he is still with us. Not sure for how much longer, but everyday is a blessing!
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debra wrote:
Dozer is a 7 year old 140 pound black lab. He is just a big baby!! We found out last year that he had a large mass on his face and there was nothing that could be done and he would be gone by Christmas. When I told the rescue group from where I got him, they felt so bad that they gave me a 11 week old lab puppy. Tucker will be a year next month and at 80 pounds he is 100% a mommies dog! The best thing about Tucker is he has given Dozer something, and Dozer is still with us. Now he has his good and bad days, but to the Vet's surprise he is still with us. Not sure for how much longer, but everyday is a blessing!

140 pounds? That's a big lab. I'm sorry to hear about his issue, though. Animals teach us so much, don't they? They don't sit and worry about what's wrong with them. They just keep on doing and living. Congratulations on Tucker. He won't take Dozer's place, but he's being a good companion to him right now. I wish you could post pictures. If you'd like some help, let me know.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
A Ranger update. Tee, you asked me for a recent picture of him saying that you were sure he's changed by now, filled out, etc. I answered that he hasn't changed much, today I found out there's a reason for that. He's appetite hasn't been good and he's been limping on and off, we took him to the vet today and they said he had Lyme disease. I'm religious with the Frontline for fleas and ticks, the vet said he could have had it when we got him, he's always been very skinny. Right now he weighs about 80lbs, the vet said for a full grown male of his height that's way too low.

So now I have a boatload of meds to give him and hopefully we can get this under control. Not eating and becoming easily injured are signs of Lyme disease in animals, I never knew this.

Please wish him well! He's stolen all our hearts and we want him around a long time to come.

Linda

Oh, Linda...I'm so sorry to hear about Ranger. I have been off the internet for a couple days. I hope he makes a complete recovery. For the past few years I have been giving my pups Frontline too. It is concerning to know that Ranger was on it too and got Lyme disease. I wish him well. He is such a sweetheart...and a frisbee chaser like my Sheltie. Give him a big hug. And keep up posted!
On a lighter note...I am puppy-sitting my son and DIL's puppy. He is a cocker-bishon mix and a sweetie. My Sheltie loves him and has been running around with him for 2 days. Our Beagle isn't so love-struck, but is tolerant at best. I will try to post some pics. He is a cutie.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley...our little guest for the weekend

]

Last edited by xina on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasper's new buddy.

Last edited by xina on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Beth W

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I'm sorry to hear about Ranger too. Friends of ours have a dog that had Lyme. Yucky disease.

In addition to the Frontline/Advantix there is a vaccine for dogs for Lyme disease. I got my Addie that when I took her to the vet after her adoption as we live in Lyme belt. She goes back for her booster dose in a couple of weeks.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth - that is so good to know, I had no ideat there was a vaccine. I'm going to talk to my vet about getting one for our pug and once we get Ranger through this maybe it can help him too.

Xina - doggie stitting, what fun! He is so adorable, look at that little face and with that curly hair, reminds me of a dog I had when I was a child.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debra wrote:
Linda, I love your Ranger's face!!! I hope he is feeling up to par very soon. Tee you baby is sooo cute!
If i could figure out how to post pictures I would show you my two babies. Dozer is a 7 year old 140 pound black lab. He is just a big baby!! We found out last year that he had a large mass on his face and there was nothing that could be done and he would be gone by Christmas. When I told the rescue group from where I got him, they felt so bad that they gave me a 11 week old lab puppy. Tucker will be a year next month and at 80 pounds he is 100% a mommies dog! The best thing about Tucker is he has given Dozer something, and Dozer is still with us. Now he has his good and bad days, but to the Vet's surprise he is still with us. Not sure for how much longer, but everyday is a blessing!

Debra, Dozer sounds like he is a fighter and that he has a very loving home {{{Dozer and family}}} My brother has always had labs and I know they can get pretty big, massive with muscle.

To post pics, what I did was get an account a photobucket.com (free), and upload pics there. It then gives you options under each pic of how to post them such as 'img' or 'direct url'. For this site I copy the 'img' line and just past it here and there it is.

Linda
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: