AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The March on Washington

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LizE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: The March on Washington Reply with quote

I'm upset about the coverage of the "Tea Party" march on Washington and how it's been branded as either "anti-Obama" and "racist" (by the mainstream media) or "anti-Obama" and "anti-healthcare" (by the right).

I want to march on Washington and not because I'm anti-Obama—I supported him right up until he came out for indefinite detention, which flew in the face of everything he said during his campaign. I'm disappointed, yet I haven't given up on him by any means. But I am furious about the way the bailout was handled by both the past administration and this one, I'm disgusted with the Washington insider ties that Goldman Sachs and other Wall Street players continue to exploit, gorging themselves on taxpayer dollars while the people they hurt are losing their jobs and homes, and I'm sick of being told that we have to make major policy decisions right now. I'm also frustrated that when ordinary citizens try to voice these concerns at town hall meetings, they're branded as "nuts" and "wackos." Yes, there are some nuts showing up at these meetings, but there are also a lot of perfectly sane people who are just angry at the flagrant abuses of power we've seen lately—by both Republicans and Democrats. So yes, I think a march on Washington is justified, because no one up there seems to care that there are a lot of citizens who are alarmed by the direction our government is heading.

I couldn't really get behind this particular march once it was co-opted by Glenn Beck and his friends, but my husband was curious enough to drive down, take some pictures and spend a few hours walking around and talking to people. His impression was that the majority of people were there to protest fiscal irresponsibility, the next big group were there to protest the healthcare plan, and the rest had a variety of axes to grind. He met a lot of people, including Obama supporters who just want the president to listen to what they have to say, which is that government spending is way out of control.

The news seems to be focusing entirely on the fringe, branding the whole event as a right-wing conspiracy to undermine the president and completely ignoring the many thousands of people who just want our representatives to stop acting so irresponsibly. Now Michael Moore's movie is about to open, and any resultant protestors will no doubt be labeled as left-wing—and everyone knows that all Michael Moore fans are philosophically opposed to everything those right-wing marchers might believe. These two groups are actually upset about exactly the same issues, but if I know the media, the coverage will be so very divisive that like-minded individuals will have very little chance of recognizing each other, let alone coming together as Americans. If we would just stop calling each other names and allowing ourselves to be divided, our combined voices would shake the halls of Congress. And maybe that's why these labels are becoming ever-more extreme. Even people like me—lefties who actually support the goals of many last Saturday's marchers—hesitate to voice that opinion when so many pundits are now telling us the protestors were racially motivated. My beef with the government has nothing to do with race—or even political parties—but still . . . I mean, who wants to be called a racist? It's a lot easier to just say nothing.

Funny, I seem to have heard that somewhere before . . .
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But LizE, slapping labels on people is so much easier than listening to them. And if you actually listened, they might say something that makes you think and question your own assumptions. Think how complicated that would make things. Wink
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to keep vested interests apart is through the strategy of divide and conquer. We the majority of Americans, regardless of political persuasion or ethnic or religious background, do share common interests. I think most Americans would like to be comfortable, healthy, happy and safe. Comfortable meaning that we have good paying jobs that pay a living wage and possibly a pension. Healthy means most people would like to be relatively free of disease and illness. And if you aren't you have decent health insurance. Happy is your own definition. Safe is your own definition as well.

However, the powers that be(corporations, media and other special interests) aren't necessarily interested in us having a quality of life if it interferes with their profits. What's good for the average Joe and Jane may not mesh with Corporate America. I am not condemning capitalism necessarily just unbridled greed. There is a line where corporations can make a reasonable profit and provide decent services to their customers and their employees.

We do scare them. They are fearful that someday Americans will no longer buy their propaganda. And that someday we will realize we all share the same common interests. They fear our coming together and calling them out. As long as they can split us apart, misdirect our anger, misinform us they can control the agenda.

We are not going to get anywhere if we continue to be split along the lines I mentioned previously. There is power in numbers. If the American people can ever agree on mutual interests we can and will demand change.

But we continue to squabble over silly issues. Until then, don't expect much.
LizE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
As long as they can split us apart, misdirect our anger, misinform us they can control the agenda.

KarenS, that's it exactly. But I think we're being misdirected from something quite specific--the sacking of the treasury by Paulson & Friends, aided and abetted by a congress that is terrified we're going to start demanding explanations. For example, we could ask:

--If we were in such an all-fire hurry to get those toxic assets out of the system, why are banks still carrying them on their books?

--If the Treasury didn't buy toxic asses, exactly how did it spend the TARP money?

--Who benefitted most? Why? Are those institutions or individuals connected in any way to congress?

Elizabeth Warren is the chair of the Congressional Oversight Committee (COP), which oversees the bailout money. Or tries to. Every month COP produces a report, and Ms. Warren (Dr. Warren?) introduces it with an interesting, easy-to-follow video that should be required viewing for every American. August was The Continued Risk of Troubled Assets--the name speaks for itself. In July-- TARP Repayments, Including the Repurchase of Stock Warrants--we learn some very disturbing facts about how Treasury handled banks that wanted to opt out of TARP early. Let's just say that it wasn't good news for the taxpayer.

I urge everyone to check out the site and watch as many videos as you can.

http://www.cop.senate.gov
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link LizE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: