AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elizabeth Edwards on Oprah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Elizabeth Edwards on Oprah Reply with quote

Several years ago I read "Diana and Jackie: Maidens, Mothers, Myths" by Jay Mulvaney which talked about the manner in which Princess Di dealt with her husband's adultery and contrasted it with the way Jackie Kennedy dealt with John's. Watching E. Edwards yesterday on Oprah reminded me a lot of Diana. I saw that same pain, the same factor that these beautiful, talented women wondered what on earth they had done to deserve their husband's infidelity, their amazement at his callous treatment of their children (in terms of the fact the kids would have to deal with the publicity.) I was amazed and proud how Elizabeth didn't pull any punches -- she put everything squarely in John's court. ( I had begun to dislike him early in this last election but by the end of yesterday I saw a lot more things to dislike.) And I liked how open she was about most things.

It was also very interesting to hear her say plainly that she didn't know whether or not John was the father of that baby and had no intention of letting anything about that child affect her. And I found her views on the other woman intriguing as well.

The contrast of course is someone like Jackie Kennedy who kept all this very private but I tend to find that rather disingenuous, especially in political families that use their family life as part of their selling point. If you have your family out there telling us what a great dad, husband and person you are you better be willing to have them out there telling us all the nasty stuff about you too.

So did anyone else watch and what did you think?

maggie b.
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it...sort of. I had Oprah on and was doing other things. I guess I agree with you on all your points. I felt much sympathy for her, but I also saw appearing with Oprah as a huge opportunity to sell her book, Resilience. I suppose that is okay. I really don't like John Edwards. I didn't before this all came out.
Claire

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it but I've been wondering what the heck both of them were thinking during the election. Did they really think this wouldn't come out? The tabloid rumors were out there well before he dropped out.

Also, while I feel immensely sorry for Elizabeth for all she has been through, cancer then a cheating spouse, it feels a icky to me to be profiting from it with a book. Same thing with a completely different person, Paula Abdul.. she swore for years she didn't have a drug problem. Now, she has a new single coming out and she's 'fessing up and talking about it to everyone. I guess everything is everybody's business nowadays. Rolling Eyes
JaneO

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I always admired about Jackie Kennedy was that she kept her private life private she didn't write books about it and she didn't give interviews about it.

I suppose I feel sorry for Princess Di and Elizabeth Edwards. But the way they expose themselves in public? I find it rather contemptible. Have they no self-respect?
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaneO wrote:
One of the things I always admired about Jackie Kennedy was that she kept her private life private she didn't write books about it and she didn't give interviews about it.

I don't think Jackie Kennedy really did keep her private life private. The stories are all out there -- the women he cheated with talked, the secretaries talked, his friends have talked. What she did do was keep her side of the story to herself --or at least to her close friends, all of whom eventually talked. But as far as keeping her private life private? No. I probably know more about her private life than that of members of my own family. Privacy is just not a luxury granted to a public figure. What I don't know are her feelings in her own words -- those I only have second hand.

maggie b.
JaneO

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b wrote:
Quote:
Privacy is just not a luxury granted to a public figure. What I don't know are her feelings in her own words -- those I only have second hand.

There is no way to keep other people from talking about you, whether you are a public figure or not. You can, however, refuse to indulge in public self-exposure. I have more respect for those who do so, few though they may be.
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have some respect for Jackie Kennedy if she had shown a modicum of self-respect and not tolerated her husband screwing around with everything in a skirt. Elizabeth Edwards is certainly not my favorite person but I think this idea that she's just trying to sell her book and that is why she did this interview is absurd. She has cancer. Her diagnosis was not great the last time I heard. Her husband has done interviews basically saying she supports him. She has every right to speak out and that is not classless.

Just my opinion. :P

On a side note does anyone else have a problem posting on this darn board? I am so sick of getting invalid session messages. It has been like this since I started posting. I can't recall the number of times I've just given up trying to post rather than wait for the dang message to go through. Mad Mad Mad
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie (kat) wrote:
I'd have some respect for Jackie Kennedy if she had shown a modicum of self-respect and not tolerated her husband screwing around with everything in a skirt.

I *do* respect JK but I agree with the toleration. I think her tolerance allowed Jack to sleep with everyone around therm -- including some of Jackie's own staff. In many of the books I've read much of his behavior showed him to be very disrespectful of her and I wonder how much that had to do with knowing she was never going to call him on any of his behaviors. We all have the right to live how we choose and this was her choice but I just can't imagine it being MY choice. I can't relate well to what she went through.

Katie (kat) wrote:
Elizabeth Edwards is certainly not my favorite person but I think this idea that she's just trying to sell her book and that is why she did this interview is absurd. She has cancer. Her diagnosis was not great the last time I heard. Her husband has done interviews basically saying she supports him. She has every right to speak out and that is not classless.

I admired Edwards and Princess Di for speaking out because it gives voice to the many thousands of women who have gone through this. Fortunately I am not one of them but I have read that it is a terrible blow to your self-esteem and I can imagine that it is. It must be reassuring to have beautiful, talented women like Halle Berry, Princess Di and E. Edwards saying "It happened to me to. It's very painful. Remember the disgrace is not yours but his." It's kind of like the struggle with anorexia -- I can imagine nothing more private than that and yet when people give voice to that it helps others struggling with it. I admire people who can turn a public humiliation (like their husband affair being all over the tabloids) and turn it into growth and help for others in the same situation.

Just my .02 of course Wink

Katie (kat) wrote:
On a side note does anyone else have a problem posting on this darn board? I am so sick of getting invalid session messages. It has been like this since I started posting. I can't recall the number of times I've just given up trying to post rather than wait for the dang message to go through. Mad Mad Mad

Sorry, no. You might want to try talking to AAR management. Maybe they could help. Thanks for sticking with it and going through the hassle to put your post up, I really appreciated your post.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
I didn't see it but I've been wondering what the heck both of them were thinking during the election. Did they really think this wouldn't come out? The tabloid rumors were out there well before he dropped out.

This was one of the points that made my respect for John Edwards plummet into nonexistence after the interview. Apparently he announced his run for the presidency two days before telling Elizabeth about the affair. The affair had begun well before that, he just held the info from Elizabeth. Then when she immediately said "Drop out of the race" he told her that he could but that nothing would cause the press to find out faster that there was something to hide than a candidate who quit two days after he announced his run. I thought that was one of the most manipulative, mean spirited things I had ever heard of: to deliberately make the announcement regarding his candidacy FIRST so that Elizabeth had the choice of either supporting him and going along with the charade or not supporting him and having the press show up at the door. I think she made the wrong choice here but I can understand why. She had to be reeling from shock at that moment in time.

Claire wrote:
Also, while I feel immensely sorry for Elizabeth for all she has been through, cancer then a cheating spouse, it feels a icky to me to be profiting from it with a book

The book was supposed to be about her struggle with cancer -- and mostly is. However, she felt she had to address this and it has turned out to be what most people are most interested in discussing. Added to that, she thought the affair had been a one night stand, she didn't find out the full extent of it until a year and a half later, when the book was already being wrapped up. (The book, I think, does include that new information.)
So essentially, John lied to her twice and the hits have just kept on coming.

I am not a big fan of Elizabeth's. But I just thought the whole real life drama was pertinent given that we just discussed adultery on the AAR blog and here is a real life example of why I don't like to have it in my romance novels.

Just my .02 of course :lol:

maggie b.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stood out for me most in the interview was EE seemed to feel more anger towards the other woman than JE...I've never understood that.
Karaa

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

I admired Edwards and Princess Di for speaking out because it gives voice to the many thousands of women who have gone through this. Fortunately I am not one of them but I have read that it is a terrible blow to your self-esteem and I can imagine that it is. It must be reassuring to have beautiful, talented women like Halle Berry, Princess Di and E. Edwards saying "It happened to me to. It's very painful. Remember the disgrace is not yours but his."

The Princess of Wales, though, had her own share of that disgrace to bear, as she was just as unfaithful as her husband, having at least one adulterous affair of her own, with Captain Hewitt, an affair that for sure will haunt the young Prince Harry for the rest of his days. Later she also actively pursued/harassed a married man, so obviously the Princess herself was no more above all that extra-marital stuff than her ex-husband the Prince (who now seems quite happily married to the love of his life, the Duchess of Cornwall). Rolling Eyes
Claire

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie (kat) wrote:
Elizabeth Edwards is certainly not my favorite person but I think this idea that she's just trying to sell her book and that is why she did this interview is absurd. She has cancer.

The reason she did the interview IS because she is trying to sell the book. I can only guess what motivated her to write the book but I'll say probably to help other people understand her journey with cancer. I have no problem with that. It's sad her children have to relive the whole thing again after it had died down.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaa wrote:

The Princess of Wales, though, had her own share of that disgrace to bear, as she was just as unfaithful as her husband, having at least one adulterous affair of her own, with Captain Hewitt, an affair that for sure will haunt the young Prince Harry for the rest of his days. Later she also actively pursued/harassed a married man, so obviously the Princess herself was no more above all that extra-marital stuff than her ex-husband the Prince (who now seems quite happily married to the love of his life, the Duchess of Cornwall). Rolling Eyes

Yes, their situation was a bit different wasn't it? She was as guilty (if in some ways not guiltier) than he. And as unromantic as I find Charles and Camilla the one thing I will say is that she does seem to be the love of his life. I can't help but wonder if that didn't make it more painful (for Di) than just a casual cheat though. It would be a complete rejection in so many ways.

That still doesn't excuse her though. And you're right, her son has paid the price.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Katie (kat) wrote:
Elizabeth Edwards is certainly not my favorite person but I think this idea that she's just trying to sell her book and that is why she did this interview is absurd. She has cancer.

The reason she did the interview IS because she is trying to sell the book. I can only guess what motivated her to write the book but I'll say probably to help other people understand her journey with cancer. I have no problem with that. It's sad her children have to relive the whole thing again after it had died down.

I think you are right that she did the interview for sales. I don't plan to buy the book though I will get it from the library. People that rich don't need my money.

On the other hand the kids were going to face this again either way. Her husband is under a grand jury probe, so in many ways the interview deflected attention from that. The fact remains if her husband had just kept it in his pants no one would have had to deal with it at all.

maggie b.
Claire

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
[On the other hand the kids were going to face this again either way. Her husband is under a grand jury probe, so in many ways the interview deflected attention from that. The fact remains if her husband had just kept it in his pants no one would have had to deal with it at all.

maggie b.

That's true. Can you imagine having cancer and your husband cheating on you? That was pretty despicable of him. We have a politician in my state (Ga) Newt Gingrich who left his wife for another woman when she had cancer. It was many years ago but here was another high profile individual leaving when the chips were down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: