AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Children's books about giants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Children's books about giants Reply with quote

I am reading to my childs kindergarten class and I need recommendations and ideas on books about being big in a small world. I was thinking maybe a Clifford book but am open to anything geared to this age group. After I read it I want to give them examples of what it would be like to be a giant. I'm thinking of bringing in some of the corn that Tom Hanks eats in Big and maybe mini m&m's and put tiny things in a tiny bag for them. Any ideas of books or tiny foods or crafts?
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BFG by Roald Dahl is a wonderful story about giants particularly one big friendly giant.
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
The BFG by Roald Dahl is a wonderful story about giants particularly one big friendly giant.

Thank you! I'll check that one out... Smile
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun! I love the BFG too...but you should read through it first. I'm thinking that some very sensitive children might be afraid of parts of the book.
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
What fun! I love the BFG too...but you should read through it first. I'm thinking that some very sensitive children might be afraid of parts of the book.

I don't want to scare anyone so I'll google it.

I was trying to remember a book I read when I was young that had a giant in it. I think it was a giant. He was alone in a castle I think surrounded by a wall and something about the seasons was involved and finally the children came back. Do you know this one?
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
xina wrote:

I don't want to scare anyone so I'll google it.

I was trying to remember a book I read when I was young that had a giant in it. I think it was a giant. He was alone in a castle I think surrounded by a wall and something about the seasons was involved and finally the children came back. Do you know this one?

No, you probably won't scare anyone, but Roald Dahl had quite the imagination sometimes bordering on weird. I only warn you because I spent many years reading to all ages when my children were in elementary school. There are always a few in the really young grades that look very concerned when you look up for a moment and think..."uh oh...I've scared that one". My children...never. They loved all of Roald Dahl at a very young age.
Maybe you could get an elementary school copy of Gulliver's Travels? Also, about the little things in bag..that is such a cute idea. I'm throwing a baby shower for my niece and while I was in the craft store, we found some candy in the shape of pacifiers, rocking horses, babies. They are liks Sweetarts...sour candy. Maybe you could look in your craft store. I found that candy in a Michaels store. Good luck!
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="xinaI was in the craft store, we found some candy in the shape of pacifiers, rocking horses, babies. They are liks Sweetarts...sour candy. Maybe you could look in your craft store. I found that candy in a Michaels store. Good luck![/quote]

Funny you mention Michaels... I first got the idea of a tiny theme when I saw a clearance kit of things for a tiny party (hats, invitations, plates). I now regret not buying it as I went there today and of course it was gone. I looked around and found some things I can put together to have tiny "things".

When I was a kid I read James and the Giant Peach and LOVED it. It made a real impression on me. I can't wait for my kids to read it. There is the issue of when is the right age. Not sure about that one.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Giants Reply with quote

Oscar Wilde wrote several fairy tales for his children, including one entitled "The Selfish Giant". It may be a bit old for kindergarteners; I don't remember since it's been so long since I read it to my own children. The giant of the story builds a wall around his garden so he doesn't have to share, but then it remains in perpetual Winter. Only when he tears down the wall does Spring come to his garden.
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Giants Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Oscar Wilde wrote several fairy tales for his children, including one entitled "The Selfish Giant". It may be a bit old for kindergarteners; I don't remember since it's been so long since I read it to my own children. The giant of the story builds a wall around his garden so he doesn't have to share, but then it remains in perpetual Winter. Only when he tears down the wall does Spring come to his garden.

I think that may be the one I'm thinking I read when I was a child. I'll go look that up! Not for the kids reading but for mine.
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Giants Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

Thank you, Thank you Thank you Susan/DC for remembering the name of this wonderful story! I just read it online, realized that was the story then found a link to youtube where there is a 30 minute show of it from the 70's. The guy who posted it said they used to show it around Christmas in the 70's and I think that's when I used to see it. This story is so wonderful it made me seriously cry! I had no idea it was written by Oscar Wilde.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if its a story I can read at my kids school bc there is a religious angle to the story at the end and our class is multicultural. I'll ask the teacher. I wish the story had ended at "it's not good to be selfish".
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Giants Reply with quote

Claire wrote:

Thank you, Thank you Thank you Susan/DC for remembering the name of this wonderful story! I just read it online, realized that was the story then found a link to youtube where there is a 30 minute show of it from the 70's. The guy who posted it said they used to show it around Christmas in the 70's and I think that's when I used to see it. This story is so wonderful it made me seriously cry! I had no idea it was written by Oscar Wilde.

Glad I could help. And I should say thank you to you as well, because I didn't know there was a video on YouTube -- I'll have to check it out.

As for the religious ending, since these are kindergartners, perhaps if you read it aloud to them you could just stop where you want to and leave out that bit.
Claire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Giants Reply with quote

[quote="Susan/DC"]
Claire wrote:

As for the religious ending, since these are kindergartners, perhaps if you read it aloud to them you could just stop where you want to and leave out that bit.

I was thinking of that too. It certainly seems do-able with this story. I wonder, is it sacrilege to change an ending of a famous authors work even for kindergartners? What if they love it then grow up and read it and go, "what was that lady who read the story to us trying to pull?" Wink
bookbug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter likes Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff.
It is about a child who finds a live dinosaur in the museum and takes him home and his friends play with him as if he is a slide. There are many adventures together.

Danny and the dinosaur
Happy birthday, Danny and the dinosaur!
Danny and the dinosaur go to camp

TTFN
bookbug Smile
cheri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lOVED the Selfish Giant as a kid. I can remember listening to it on tape over and over and the background music too. Smile cheri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: