AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

american idol/ageist idol?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyflavored

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: american idol/ageist idol? Reply with quote

Hi, I was having a quick read through the thread about American Idol 2009 here http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4466&start=0 and was wondering what peoples thoughts were about the age restrictions of American Idol and it's promotion of singer fronted bands where musicians are generally an afterthought hired on in the studio and on tour vs bands that compose together. I thought if I posted this in that thread it might be considered trolling or thread hijacking so here's a new thread...

The reason I ask at all is because of my own involvement in music and great musicians I've seen who often aren't encouraged in their teens to pursue their talent and are in many ways denied the opportunity. I've seen people mature and grow past their 20's into amazing musicians or those who put away their music to feed their families then years later pick things up again when there's food on the table. In most cases these people do not have the opportunity to develop their talent until their late 20's - after the Idol age restriction of I believe 27.

Do we have to always have the youngest superstars? Or can we have some mature musicians who know a little bit more about life? (not that pop stars don't know a bit too much about life for their age)

Personally I wish there was an "indie idol" show or something of the sort.
I have a particular appreciation for music that's composed by a group of aspiring musicians as opposed to music written on a single instrument with hired guns filling out the song. It perpetuates the mindset that music is "an accompaniment" and the lyrics and singer are all that matter. I know many people who are intrigued by the music of a song for months before they stop to check the lyrics.

So who's up for a show that supports musicianship and composition?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: