AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scary beyond belief

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: scary beyond belief Reply with quote

I'm officially announcing that we're in the scary beyond belief stage in and around the Red River Valley. Sirens are wailing for more sandbaggers here in Valley City. I've got my current research in two boxes, ready to load in the car and head for higher ground. We're four blocks from the Sheyenne River, which is expected to crest this afternoon at 19 feet. Flood stage is 15 feet. Now that's math I can do.

Sigh. Wish I were as stalwart as the women I write about.

Everybody in eastern Nodak and I do mean everybody, could use your prayers.

Carla Kelly
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, take care. We have had a lot of news of the flooding in MN. I feel for all of you in that area. Stay safe. I agree...it is very scary.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want to be in your shoes, just waiting for something that may develop and maybe have to leave your home. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Wishing you well Reply with quote

I first heard about the potential floods this morning and sent my thoughts and prayers to all in the flood zones. The story said they'd thought they'd need 1 million sand bags but it now looked like they'd need 2 million -- very scary.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care, Carla! Hope the river subsides -- crossing fingers.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: scary beyond belief Reply with quote

The Sheyenne River crested last night here in Valley City, and so far, so good. Some of the town is flooded. ANd now it's snowing. Bismarck got landed on this time, too, by the Missouri River, and during a blizzard. Fargo is in the middle of it, too. Few roads in the state are open and it's been declared a disaster area.

The second crest of the Sheyenne is due next week, so the work continues of building the dikes higher. I've lived here for 12 years, and never seen anything like this. It's frightening.

But even more, I am deeply impressed by the quality of the people here. They work hard, persist, bail and sandbag. And they look out for their neighbors. Jeff Differding, the public works manager, went to an elderly man's house and carried him through the flood on his back. I like rubbing shoulders with such courage. Now if it'll just rub off on me!

Seriously, this is quite a place, and these are amazing people. (Gee, that sounds like Eward R. Murrow, reporting from London. But it's true.)

Carla
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're near a computer and/or still in your home, Carla, can you tell us how it's going in your particular area? It sounds as though things are fairly stable in Fargo, but I don't know how near that is to you. I guess they are still keeping watch, knowing things could go poorly, but hoping for the best. The photos I've seen have been unreal--I cannot even imagine.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're safe and snug somewhere!
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: scary beyond belief Reply with quote

We're still high and dry in Valley CIty. There is minor flooding on the Sheyenne River here, but the dump trucks keep bringing in more and more dirt to build up the riverbanks, and there are sandbags everywhere. It's scary and we're all tense, especially now that we're in a blizzard.
But hey, that's North Dakota. Spring might come eventually.

We're delighted that things are holding in Fargo. There are so many, many little towns and farms fighting the river in so many places right now. Many rural roads have washed away from overland flooding, which is another challenge.

Being among people like this humbles me. I see such kindness and caring here as people rush to help folks they don't even know.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla: So glad to know you are safe for now, except for the dang snow!

And I agree that it is wonderful to see strangers (or friends you've never met) helping in times of trouble.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: scary beyond belief Reply with quote

Oh, I'm fine, Lee. Just a bit stir crazy. Classes at the university and public schools are closed again, so husband and grandson will be home again. I'll hole up in my office and keeping working on the Short History of Fort Buford.

If you want to amuse or horrify yourself, google the Dept of Transportation North Dakota and look at the multi-colored road map. Bets are on now that the the snow will melt by Memorial Day so we can have a BBQ.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clueing us in on the status of your particular situation. An issue like this becomes more real to the observer when one hears a personal viewpoint of someone who is in the "thick of battle" so to say.

Just because of your post, I find myself looking for updates on line and also in the papers to keep abreast of the changing conditions. Still an observer, but one who is a bit more invested.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tuning into the TV and feel for all those people that are working to fight Mother Nature with those sandbags. And all those that are worried for family and friends. Hope things get better SOON. keep us informed if you get a chance. We are praying for you. cheri
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: scary beyond belief Reply with quote

To all, we know you are praying for us because we feel it.

Many folks have had to evacuate their homes, but the shelters are not full at all. Friends, neighbors and strangers are taking in those left homeless. Doors are always open because we must stick together up here to survive. That might sound melodramatic, but it's reality. I remember a night a few years ago during a "normal" winter when I was listening to the weather forecast. The meteorologist said in complete seriousness: "If you go out tonight and your car breaks down, you will die."

I moved here in 1997, after the last big flood. For a couple of years, I was an adjunct prof at Valley CIty State University, where my husband teaches. A simple thing let me know, early on, what kind of people I was privileged to live among. I was on my way to class one cold winter morning, and noticed someone had dropped a glove in the hall. I went on to class. When I came out after the class, I noticed that someone had retrieved that glove and placed it in a prominent spot, so its owner could find it.

That's a telling thing. Folks up here know how important gloves are to hands in winter. Someone wanted to make darned sure that the hand and glove got together again. You learn to be careful.

I'm so proud of the men, women and children out bagging sandbags, shoring up dikes, bringing food to workers, opening their homes and doing the neighbor to neighbor thing. It humbles me and keeps me grounded. The Farfo Forum reported today on an elderly man in a wheelchair at Sandbag Central, holding open bags so others could shovel. Is it any wonder that my heroes and heroines are practical people who face problems unflinchingly and solve them? It's not creativity on my part. I'm just describing the people I love and see every day in grocery stores and on sandbag lines. Living in North Dakota is a privilege. I wish all of you could be here to see it in action.

Carla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: