AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facebook... yay or nay???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Facebook... yay or nay??? Reply with quote

I have been on Facebook for quite a while now, at least a year. I wasn't crazy about it when I started, and every change they make seems to make it worse.

Reportedly, the creator of Facebook says that he is not going to listen or respond to complaints about the latest changes. This tech blogger agrees with his reasons:
http://scobleizer.com/2009/03/21/why-facebook-has-never-listened-and-why-it-definitely-wont-start-now/

However... contrary to the writer's assertion that people aren't closing down their Facebook accounts, I am seriously thinking of closing down mine. It SEEMS to just be a giant, time-sucking vortex of idiocy. If I enjoyed it as a social venue, that would be fine, but I don't. I don't want to be poked, or superpoked, or gifted with a magical seahorse or... on and on.

However... if I thought that readers actually valued Facebook and did find new writers that way, I would reconsider, and think about trying to find a way to work with the damned site.

So... have you ever? Have you ever found a new book/author/series through Facebook? Does it have any impact at all on your reading life (as separate from your social life)?

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Jane G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a college student. Which means Facebook is a large part of my life, socially, for school work, in terms of extracurricular activities, and basically just knowing what the hell is going on on my campus. As much as I hate the new layout, I simply can't get rid of my facebook.

In terms of reading... I think that it's helpful for readers who don't frequent blogs/author sites/message boards. They may find out about upcoming releases, promotions, contests, "extras" on the author's website, etc., through messages, notes, status updates, etc., especially if they don't go to other sites to see what's new. For the less-involved romance reader, this is really beneficial.

I think there's also a certain connection readers get when they are friends with an author they like. It's more than just reading their bio on their website, or even blog entries; it feels more personal. You get to see what their favorite books are, what movies they like, what their coffee order is. This may sound stalker-ish and weird, but one, you choose what you want people to know so you don't put up info you want to keep private, especially as a celebrity figure, and two, it's just cool to know where your favorite author is going on vacation, or how she's doing on her new book, or what she thought about last night's episode of Dancing with the Stars. That personal connection makes the author seem almost like a friend, and therefore there's greater loyalty to that author. I'm more likely to buy a book from an author I feel connected with, than one I only experience through their author photo and bio blurb.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook... yay or nay??? Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
So... have you ever? Have you ever found a new book/author/series through Facebook? Does it have any impact at all on your reading life (as separate from your social life)?

I have a Facbook page, but only because my daughter is studying abroad and this is a good way for me to see her pictures. Her idea before she left. And it has been fun seeing her pictures but as for socializing...not really. Most of my "frineds" are my daughter's friends and a whole slew of my nieces. Sure, I've got some people I know too, but I don't use it like that.
And no, I've never gotten a book idea from Facebook.
I saw an intereview with the creator of Facebook and apparently, if Facebook were a country it would be the third largest country in the world. That is how many people are on Facebook! It was actually started for college students, and that is when my daughter and her friends started on it. Now....everybody is on Facebook.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but when they introduced the new layout, I began using it less and less. Now I hardly ever use it--once a week maybe, tops. When I was at university last year and living on campus, it was a big part of my life, but it serves no purpose now. If the layout was better, I might still use it, but I don't want to navigate the awful features and controls just to keep in touch with people I went to high school with, who I never wanted to see again anyway. Laughing
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am on Facebook. My daughters talked me into it. Since they both live out of town, it has been a good way to keep in touch all together. I also have a niece and cousins scattered around the country, so it works well for all of us there too.

But I refuse all those useless gifts and requests for birthdates and such and keep it to communication only. Unlike all of you, I really love the new layout on Facebook. I think it's easier to follow and maintain.

In answer to Donna's question, no, I haven't found new writers there. I don't even belong to groups (other than Matt Giraud's group, that is).
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Facebook too but only to keep in touch with a few friends and my husband got me started because he keeps track of tons of friends and military buddies that way. I wouldn't even have thought of discovering a new author that way but I have joined up with some already known authors via Facebook. I didn't even realize they had changed format, that goes to show you how much I keep up with it.

Linda
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook... yay or nay??? Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
a giant, time-sucking vortex of idiocy.

I don't want to be poked, or superpoked, or gifted with a magical seahorse or... on and on.

However... if I thought that readers actually valued Facebook and did find new writers that way, I would reconsider, and think about trying to find a way to work with the damned site.

re: Facebook-
I am just amazed that I am saving 1 square foot of rainforest every time I accept a plant in the (lil) Green Patch. Smile

Your "giant time sucking vortex of idiocy line" made me laugh!

The only value I have found in Facebook is reconnecting with old classmates which can be fun.

There's also the latest craze, twittering, and I say forgetaboutit. I really don't want to hear one sentence brain droppings from celebrities and such. Who cares!? Gosh, do I sound cranky? Sorry!

But to answer your question..I haven't found a new author through Facebook but I have found a whole slew of authors and books through this website and others. Unless I'm missing something as a Facebook user, I don't think you'd be doing any harm by dropping off it.
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't care less about Facebook. I made an account, but only to help out a local DJ I like who wanted more people to sign up for his page there. I'm on his page, another local DJ team, and a cable show I like. I don't plan on using it for anything and couldn't care less about "adding friends" or any such stuff.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Beth W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to the facebook thing.

To answer your question, no, I haven't found a new author/book from facebook. But, to be honest, I haven't looked for one on there, either. So who knows what I would find if I went looking.

I'm not crazy about the new layout, either, but don't hate it as much as some. In general, I'm having fun with it. I'm able to keep in touch with people better, like my best friend who lives in Germany, my cousin in Georgia, etc. I've gotten back in touch with a good friend from high school, and not only has it been fun to catch up, but it turns out her husband works for a plumbing store and we've worked it out where he can get me the new kitchen sink, faucet and garbage disposal for me at cost and install it for a food bribe. So facebook has definitely saved me money!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined earlier this year and have lots of friends who I can keep in touch with on a daily basis.

I have many authors as "friends" but really don't feel I can chit chat with them because I really don't "know" them, but I think it's a good forum for authors to let their "friends" or "fans" know about upcoming releases or special tour dates or such. Sometimes it seems like many authors don't keep up their website so to have a bunch of authors in one place makes a lot of sense to me.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook... yay or nay??? Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
There's also the latest craze, twittering, and I say forgetaboutit. I really don't want to hear one sentence brain droppings from celebrities and such. Who cares!? Gosh, do I sound cranky? Sorry!

Hah! I feel the same as you do about Twittering, so don't worry about sounding cranky.

cheri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on FB since Oct. IT is a easy way to stay connected to my military stepson but have found all kinds of old friends and realtives in different parts of the country. I hate the new layout too but The Today show just said on Friday they are going back to the old format within the month because of all the complaints, however I'll believe it when I see it. As far as authors go I haven't even looked for any. And I don't answer any of those applications sent to me either. I have over 100 requests and I just ignore them.Smile cheri
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, one more place to have to check for messages. My friends and family are on FB and think its great. I have been resisting but may break down this summer, when I have more time. My daughter likes twitter. I feel overwhelmed. If I'm interested in knowing more about an author, I go to their web site. Will FB replace web sites?
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
I feel overwhelmed. If I'm interested in knowing more about an author, I go to their web site. Will FB replace web sites?

Absolutely not! A writer's domain is a more stable environment to present backlists, current news, reviews, etc. I see mine as the centerpiece of my promotional efforts, in that it is always there, and I control it. Everything else is so ephemeral and subject to someone else's rules, even my blog! After all, Wordpress could change their rules, go under, yank my blog, etc.

So, my domain is my home on the internet! I get to decorate it as I see fit, and furnish it with all the stuff I like, and invite people to drop in! Facebook is kind of like a hotel room; I'm just a guest too, even though I have my own room!

Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
So, my domain is my home on the internet! I get to decorate it as I see fit, and furnish it with all the stuff I like, and invite people to drop in! Facebook is kind of like a hotel room; I'm just a guest too, even though I have my own room!

What a great description of the two different kinds of sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: