AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hugh Jackman's "Australia"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerstin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the ads and trailers for it because it has not yet started here. Hugh Jackman looks gorgeous as usual but Kidman, I don't know. I used to be a fan of hers but I have to agree with Carla Kelly here, she looks odd though my reasons for that are entirely different from hers. I don't mind her height since I really don't think that she's anywhere near a female giant (but that perception of Kelly just proves my point on the other board in regard to tall women as being seen as unattractive). She's a bit gaunt though but most actresses are nowadays. She reminds me of Keira Knightley in that respect. But what the heck did happen to her face and lips??? Seriously, I wouldn't even have recognized her in that movie. If you look at the first movies she made ("Days of thunder" for example) you truly think that the actress must have been replaced by aliens in the meantime.

Kerstin
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kerstin"]I just watched the ads and trailers for it because it has not yet started here. Hugh Jackman looks gorgeous as usual but Kidman, I don't know. I used to be a fan of hers but I have to agree with Carla Kelly here, she looks odd though my reasons for that are entirely different from hers. I don't mind her height since I really don't think that she's anywhere near a female giant (but that perception of Kelly just proves my point on the other board in regard to tall women as being seen as unattractive). She's a bit gaunt though but most actresses are nowadays. She reminds me of Keira Knightley in that respect. But what the heck did happen to her face and lips??? Seriously, I wouldn't even have recognized her in that movie. If you look at the first movies she made ("Days of thunder" for example) you truly think that the actress must have been replaced by aliens in the meantime.

I think Kidman has had some facial work done. At the very least, her lips are much fuller than they used to be. Do all women in Hollywood feel they have to go under the knife, because when they get to a certain age, the faces seem to change in an odd way.

edited to add.....Another actress who looks weird is Heather Locklear. I know she's not a big screen star, but I saw her on the Jay Leno show and she could barely crack a smile because her face was so stretched-like. (?) I also caught her on one of those cheesey Lifetime movies the other night. I watched for about 15 minutes and her face looked so odd. She almost looked like another person and sort of cat-like.

Last edited by xina on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Australia Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
Xina, I did think that the cartoony aspect of Kidman's character was probably the way it was supposed to be, and she was funny. My problem is with Baz Luhrman and his style of movie making, I guess. I read somewhere after Moulin Rouge that Luhrman is a director you either love or hate. I wouldn't say I hate him, but I don't generally seek out his movies. "Australia" was a lure I could not overlook, though.

But what a country.

ck

I don't know about Baz Luhrman but I absolutely loved Moulin Rouge, I saw it in the theater twice and promptly bought the movie when it came out on DVD as well as the soundtrack. I can't even count the number of times I've watched it, it's one of my favorites.

I personally think Nicole Kidman is lovely and a very talented actress. It's funny, I have noticed her bloodshot eyes before but didn't really think much about it until I saw it mentioned here. Huh. I'll see Australia when it comes out on DVD, gotta save something for the Netflix queue! Generally I am a fan of both Hugh Jackman (yummy) and Nicole Kidman.

Speaking of Hugh J., Wolverine looks like it could be fun!

Linda
Kerstin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

I think Kidman has had some facial work done. At the very least, her lips are much fuller than they used to be. Do all women in Hollywood feel they have to go under the knife, because when they get to a certain age, the faces seem to change in an odd way.

edited to add.....Another actress who looks weird is Heather Locklear. I know she's not a big screen star, but I saw her on the Jay Leno show and she could barely crack a smile because her face was so stretched-like. (?) I also caught her on one of those cheesey Lifetime movies the other night. I watched for about 15 minutes and her face looked so odd. She almost looked like another person and sort of cat-like.

Yes, sadly that is true. I recently saw Meg Ryan on TV when she received a film award here in Berlin and she just looked weird, totally different from the Meg Ryan a few years ago. But the actresses who don't get a face job look so much better IMO, like for example Meryl Streep. I can still recognize her.

Kerstin
xina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly that is true. I recently saw Meg Ryan on TV when she received a film award here in Berlin and she just looked weird, totally different from the Meg Ryan a few years ago. But the actresses who don't get a face job look so much better IMO, like for example Meryl Streep. I can still recognize her.

Kerstin[/quote]

Yes, Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon, Jamie Lee Curtis and even Goldie Hawn...who has had those lip injections, but looks to be aging naturally everywhere else. Some of the older male actors who have had face lifts look odd too. Almost like they have been burned in a fire. Mickey Rourke, Burt Reynolds, Kenny Rogers.....
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
[ on TV when she received a film award here in Berlin and she just looked weird, totally different from the Meg Ryan a few years ago. But the actresses who don't get a face job look so much better IMO, like for example Meryl Streep. I can still recognize her.
Kerstin

I noticed this weird plastic surgery look about Meg Ryan as well, a month or so ago when I saw her in an interview. I wish someone could shake some sense into these actresses that keep doing this to themselves, they look much better without the surgery.

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Australia on New Year's Day and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I simply like this kind of movie: epic, historical, costume-drama. Love 'em. So I really enjoyed this one. It's no Chariots of Fire (my favorite such movie) but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw this as an in-flight movie, and I thought it was terrific. Yes, it's a bit long, but when you have a long flight, that's not a minus. I'd suggest watching the first two hours - the cattle drive - as its own movie, and then watching the last hour about the bombing of Darwin as an epilogue some other time, when you find you miss the characters.

And yes, Nicole Kidman's face looks odd. But in a movie with Hugh Jackman, if you're looking at her face, you're doing it wrong. Smile
Caro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, saw "Australia" as an in-flight movie, and I enjoyed it. Long enough for the flight from LA to Toronto; sufficiently interesting that I didn't find myself distracted by other passangers going to the washroom, the baby crying, etc.; and with the sound pitched at a level that it could be easily heard in spite of the background noises. I don't know, however, if I would have had a similar reaction in the theatre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: