AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Lord Sin

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aoife



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Lord Sin Reply with quote

Has anyone else read Lord Sin by Kalen Hughes? I just finished it, and although I will definitely look for the next book by the author, I had a little bit of trouble making up my mind about this book. It almost seemed to me that the book had been heavily edited to fit within the finished page count, because there were so many details didn't seem to fit, or references that I couldn't find in the book.

For example, the heroine, George, is a widow, and although there are several references to her husband's death, we never find out how he died. Another character, referred to as "Brimstone," is described as the only man who has never abandoned her, but we never find out who did abandon her, since she seems to be virtually surrounded by adoring male relatives and friends.

The hero, Ivo, is rather two dimensional, and it's not clear exactly how well George and Ivo knew each other in the past, or why they are so wildly attracted to each other, or why he suddenly decides that he must marry her and only her. Aside from several steamy sexual encounters, they don't even seem to have had much in the way of conversation. there are more problems for me along those lines, but I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else thought of it.

I did love the period detail about clothing, that was very vividly drawn, and I liked some of the secondary characters very much.
_________________
Aoife
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sandra m



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it and I also enjoyed it and will look for her next book. I like her style. I agree with you also about the discrepencies. She left all lot of things unanswered. I would have liked to know more about their relationship before the duel and I would have also liked to know more about her relationship with her husband. But she is defintely one author to look out for.

sandra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seton



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 204

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you touched on the majority of the quibbles I had with it altho I think I liked it less than you 2 since I only went up to Page 198 and stopped reading.

I especially agreed with this part:
Quote:
The hero, Ivo, is rather two dimensional, and it's not clear exactly how well George and Ivo knew each other in the past, or why they are so wildly attracted to each other, or why he suddenly decides that he must marry her and only her. Aside from several steamy sexual encounters, they don't even seem to have had much in the way of conversation. there are more problems for me along those lines


Too much telling, not enough showing for me.

She did have a nice turn of phrase here and there and I wouldn't be adverse to reading her again two or three books down the line after she has settled into her writing style.

http://lindaseton.wordpress.com/2007/04/29/a-tale-of-two-georgianas-gaelen-foley-kalen-hughes/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
georgia_peach



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 421

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the story told from mainly the heroine's pov? Is that why the hero seemed two-dimensional or was it just the way it was written?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aoife



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia_peach wrote:
Was the story told from mainly the heroine's pov? Is that why the hero seemed two-dimensional or was it just the way it was written?


The POV was one of my quibbles with Lord Sin. There was a lot of head-hopping going on, and while that is not usually something that gets my knickers in a twist, in this case it was impossible to ignore. I think the two-dimensional issue goes back to my earlier point, which was that it seemed that the original book had been drastically chopped down, and that a lot of exposition and backstory was lost. If that wasn't the case, then it could just be that the author hasn't hit her stride yet, and future books might improve in that area.
_________________
Aoife
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aoife



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seton said: She did have a nice turn of phrase here and there and I wouldn't be adverse to reading her again two or three books down the line after she has settled into her writing style.

That was my feeling, too, although I liked the period details enough to actually finish this book.

Sandra m said: I read it and I also enjoyed it and will look for her next book. I like her style. I agree with you also about the discrepencies. She left all lot of things unanswered. I would have liked to know more about their relationship before the duel and I would have also liked to know more about her relationship with her husband. But she is defintely one author to look out for.

Yes, I agree that she has real potential, and I especially liked that she wrote about a time period other than the Regency!
_________________
Aoife
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered this at the library and was more interested in reading Lord Scandal by this author. I realized she had a first book and then when I saw the review I remembered this post. Now as I read all your thoughts, please excuse my whine, I HATE head hopping. I may just skip this one and go straight to Lord Scandal but will try it out and see how much it bothers me. I'm intrigued by the description of the heroine. Thanks for post. cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trish B



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1261
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I just ordered this at the library and was more interested in reading Lord Scandal by this author. I realized she had a first book and then when I saw the review I remembered this post. Now as I read all your thoughts, please excuse my whine, I HATE head hopping. I may just skip this one and go straight to Lord Scandal but will try it out and see how much it bothers me. I'm intrigued by the description of the heroine. Thanks for post. cheri



Yes, the head hopping is a regrettable tendency of this author. I just finished Lord Scandal and I enjoyed it, though it wouldn't be more than about a B/B- for me. I also read the author's debut Lord Sin (also about a B/B-) but have little recollection of the book other than the heroine, George. I liked that she was sort of wild, unconventional and spent most of her time with men! She attended and participated in shooting parties, fox hunts, etc. But as another poster stated, the hero was rather bland to me. "Brimstone" or Gabriel, hero of Lord Scandal is much yummier and the problem I had with this one was the heroine. She makes some rather stupid decisions and there are times that I wanted to shout at them to communicate better. She also has lots of secondary characters that I had some difficulty keeping straight. I know most were in the first book, but I couldn't remember them that well when I picked up the second. I think this author has potential, but she needs to do a better job of plotting and fully fleshing out her characters and backgrounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group