AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bachelor...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Do they vote them off tonight??

They're doing it a bit different this year. I'm not so sure I like it, though. Tonight, 9 out of the 12 will go, leaving three. Next week, it'll be the same thing--9 go, 3 remain. Also the same the following week. That will mean there will be 12 survivors left after three weeks. Then they'll have all those who were voted off back for one more time. Of that group, three will become wild cards, bringing the total to 15 final contestants. Seems a bit unfair to someone having a bad day, doesn't it?
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:

They're doing it a bit different this year. I'm not so sure I like it, though. Tonight, 9 out of the 12 will go, leaving three. Next week, it'll be the same thing--9 go, 3 remain. Also the same the following week. That will mean there will be 12 survivors left after three weeks. Then they'll have all those who were voted off back for one more time. Of that group, three will become wild cards, bringing the total to 15 final contestants. Seems a bit unfair to someone having a bad day, doesn't it?

See? I haven't been paying attention. I didn't know they had changed the process of voting off. Wow...9 will go tonight? Anyone with an off night is out of there, I guess. Doesn't seem fair. Think of David Cook when he had a bad night. He may not have won.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:

I think the final total will still be 12. Three weeks of viewers' voting brings us to 9 contestants left standing. Then, the judges will choose three wildcard choices (out of those who weren't voted in) to join the nine already voted in. (This is similar to how the voting worked in seasons 1-3, I think.)

In the voting rounds, the male and female with the most votes goes through. Plus, the next highest vote getter of either gender.

Quote:
Wow...9 will go tonight? Anyone with an off night is out of there, I guess. Doesn't seem fair. Think of David Cook when he had a bad night. He may not have won.

Exactly. Anyone who needs a little time to grow on people won't get that time. I am told that one of the reasons they decided to go this way is to get the viewers voting like mad for their favorites right away. Plus, it doesn't allow any of the contestants to just cruise along. In fact, last year, David Cook admitted that his strategy, initially, was to do just that.

However, if DC had been faced with this year's rules, he probably would have taken a different tack. As I recall him saying, at the early stage in the competition last year, he wasn't necessarily striving to be the best of the night. He was striving not to be the worst so he wouldn't get the least votes. However, if he knew he had to be the best in order to be in the top three, we can only imagine what he would've done. Maybe we would've got a "Hello"-type performance two weeks earlier than we did.

But, as you imply, do you think DC would've made it through to the top 12 using these rules without changing his strategy?! I sure don't think so, and certainly based upon his standing on Dial Idol at the time that can be supported. "Happy Together" combined with David's early "unappealing look," would've ill-served him and us and he would've been out on his butt immediately unless rescued by the judges' wild card choice. DC didn't hit his stride until we all were treated to his combined first two performances + HELLO! What's "sad" about this year is that there may be someone in the middle of the pack -- like DC was -- who just needs to reach his/her stride, but we'll never know since nine of them are being dumped immediately.

By the way, I didn't even notice -- until I read it on another message board -- that no one used instruments last night, not even Stephen Fowler who appears more comfortable with one. I wonder if they're not allowed to use one at this stage. If so, this is really gonna hurt the blind contestant who doesn't do as well without his keyboard.

By the way, I understand, Michael and Carly from last season are singing a duet tonight on the results show. They are going to blow this group out of the water. Both of them are far better than anyone we saw last night.

To my mind, the best male of the last night was Danny ... although I really don't like him personally. The best female, for me, was Alexis Grace. I honestly can't say who should come in third after those two.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalamazoo organ player that I like, hasn't gone yet.It's not the one that walked off stage when he forgot his lyrics. This is the first week for the new voting season, so like Tee said things have changed. I hate it so far but do like the idea of the wild card. Hopefully he will be in next week's batch. I hate not remembering there names yet but I agree,it was easy to see who was top male and female winners. IT's the third one that will see. xina, I'm not sure who the spandex girl? Laughing I wasn't going to watch tonight because I hate the drawn out thing but we'll see, now I'm curious. cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn, 3 x 3 = 9. I know that! How in heaven's name did I come up with 12 then? You're right. It's 9 winners over three weeks, with the 3 wild cards thrown in to make it 12. I was posting from my laptop. I swear when I type on that thing, I'm not working on all cylinders. And, yes, I did forget to say that it's the highest male and female and then the next best vote getter, male or female to make up the three. Not sure I like those rules, but as you said, the contestants have to put their very best foot forward from the get-go.

And Danny Gokey is the one that I liked best also. Boy, did I botch his name up in my previous post. He was the last one performing last night. His voice is awesome.

cheri, the Kalamazoo fellow's name is Matt Giraud. I'll be looking for him in the batch next week maybe.

And until we get to know the actual winners by sight and names, here's a complete list of photos and names of the 36.

http://www.americanidol.com/top_36

Last edited by Tee on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tee. That's sounds right.Smile PLease let him pick a good song! I can't believe some of the songs being picked Embarassed cheri
xina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And until we get to know the actual winners by sight and names, here's a complete list of photos and names of the 36.

http://www.americanidol.com/top_36[/quote]

Wow...thanks Tee. That is very helpful. Yes...they do have names!!
cheri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy! I just got done reading an article in our paper about the Bachelor!

HUGE POSSIBLE SPOILER: Someone on the internet and other sources our paper sites the following information. Whether it's true ?????

According to them, Jason had an instant attraction to Molly and ABC told them they needed to make it a little more juicy then just a cut and dry, I want that one. They need gossip and drama and jealousy etc for the show. He picks Melissa in the final episode but continues his realtionship with Molly after that. They filmed a first After the Rose show and he breaks up with Melissa and then they taped another After the Rose part2 and he gets together with Molly. ABC did confirm according to the article that there was a After the Rose Part 2 filmed but wouldn't confirm anything else. I will see if I can get the actual article on the web. cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I know they announced that there was going to be a surprise in the final episodes. Who knows, cheri? Anything is possible these days. As they say, stay tuned. I'm not planning to watch the show on Monday with all the other girls there. But I do plan to watch the final one in two weeks.
Marcella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't you believe people actually fall in love on a show like that? Very Happy

Life is stranger than fiction (and tv). It sounds a bit like the book Jane Millionaire by Janice Lyn or The Reality of Love, a movie with Jason Priestley, but in the Scandinavian version of this show the Danish bachelorette really fell in love and married... with a guy from the production team.

It's supposed to have happened pretty early on in the production stage, but of course she was obliged to go through all stages of the show. The 'winning' guy was not a happy camper and a scandal followed. This was 3-4 years ago and as far as I know this was the first and last time the show was produced...

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: