An Unexpected Gentleman
By
Grade : C

Competent writing with a clichéd plot and characters resulted in a tedious and lackluster read in the latest release by Ms. Johnson. By page twenty I was thinking oh no, not another stolen kiss in the garden with a stranger, and by page forty, after finding out the hero was planning to sabotage the heroine’s upcoming engagement for revenge, I put the book down for two months.

With her brother already in debtor’s prison Adelaide Ward's hopes for her family’s salvation all depend on her catching an eligible suitor like Sir Robert Maxwell. On the eve of his proposal she finds herself reluctant to take the final step, even though she knows that she has no other options. After stalling in the hall, loath to go down to the masquerade ball, Adelaide encounters a stranger - a Mr. Connor Brice who seems to be extremely perceptive about her reluctance to accept Mr. Maxwell’s proposal. Almost caught talking, they escape to the gardens where she drinks her first whiskey, and experiences her first kiss.

The next day she inadvertently meets him again in the garden, but this time rather than keep her from public eyes, he exposes their tryst, jeopardizing her reputation and her pending engagement. In the ensuing confrontation she discovers that Connor Brice is Sir Robert’s half-brother and has just been released from prison.

Connor Brice’s father openly acknowledged his mistress and his son, much to the dismay of his legitimate wife (Sir Robert’s mother). But six weeks after Connor’s parents died in a carriage accident, Sir Robert delivers fifteen-year-old Connor to a press gang. After spending over a year on the gang before being able to escape, and then two years living hand to mouth in Boston, Connor's foremost objective is revenge, and what better revenge than stealing the woman his brother plans to marry. However, all is not what it seems.

Surprisingly, Sir Robert still wants Adelaide for his wife after public knowledge of Adelaide's tryst gets out, and Connor also offers marriage, leaving her conflicted over who to choose. Both seem to be cads. Sir Robert manipulated her brother further into debt, and Connor only wants her to thwart his brother.

Adelaide seems to dither back and forth, which honestly is more irritating than a well-developed conflict. She is attracted to Connor, not Sir Robert, whom she doesn’t really like. She is also your typical self-sacrificing, brave heroine with no discernible faults. With the exception of his thirst for revenge, Connor is also perfect. The clichéd characterization continues with Sir Robert. He is amoral, a coward, and unhinged, blaming Connor for his mother’s suicide and their father’s transgressions.

I do like children in stories, but the inclusion of Adelaide’s nephew, George, seemed overly cloying. I do have to admit though that even with the over-the-top cuteness of some of the scenes, I still smiled.

I don’t mean to convey that this is a horrible story because it is not. It is more a frustrating story because of its unoriginality. I can easily see this as a comfort read for many historical readers. However, if you are looking for something groundbreaking, this is not the book.

Reviewed by Leigh Davis
Grade : C

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : January 30, 2012

Publication Date: 2011/12

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

Leigh Davis

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks