One Dog Night
By
Grade : B

I am not much for murder and mayhem. One reason is that I can’t stand to be in the mind of the killer. However, I find that after a steady dose of reading romance, I need a break. Luckily I discovered David Rosenfelt’s books with their perfect balance of mystery, comedic dialogue, hint of romance, and the author’s heartfelt love of dogs.

<!-- var browName = navigator.appName; var SiteID = 1; var ZoneID = 4; var browDateTime = (new Date()).getTime(); if (browName=='Netscape') { document.write(''); document.write(''); } if (browName!='Netscape') { document.write(''); document.write(''); } // -->

Andy Carpenter is a man of leisure and he likes it that way. After his father’s death he inherited millions so there is no need to work. While he is an excellent lawyer, he only takes cases when compelled to do so, and lately that is happening more than he likes. He has no intention of becoming involved in the defense of Noah Galloway, an ex-addict accused of a horrific arson murder resulting in the death of twenty-six people. However, Noah Galloway has a trump card. While he is filled with self-flagellation, his wife is confident in his goodness and blamelessness and not afraid to use the trump card: Noah, while still an addict, saved Tara, Andy’s beloved golden retriever.

Once Andy talks with Noah, the holes in the case seem evident; however, what was the motive for the fire? And why is Noah being framed now? As Andy once again assembles his diverse and assorted team, including Edna, his assistant, who spends seventy percent of her time doing crossword puzzles; Laurie, his girlfriend, and investigator; Marcus, his scary non-verbal muscle; Hinke, the incurable pessimist lawyer; and Sam, his accountant who has unsurpassed talent as a computer hacker, the investigation delves into proceedings from the Delaware Chancery Court, one of the most important courtrooms for financial matters, to the U.S. Senate, to organized crime. Soon it is evident that the secrets go deeper than just the death of twenty-six innocent people.

One reason these books work so well for me is the self-deprecating and comedic humor infused throughout the book. While Andy is still self-effacing and funny, there are not as many amusing scenes in One Dog Night as in previous books. Another item that works well is the motivation of the antagonists. Greed and the quest for money and status are in the forefront, something I easily accept and believe. While the reason for this crime fits these criteria, the repercussions move the story more into political intrigue. While the story could happen, it seems more far-fetched then some previous plots. Still, the book made me smile, and the plot kept me guessing.

While the humor in the book alone would guarantee me reading the books, the dog lover in me reveres sentiments like this: “Tara is a golden retriever. I don’t say she’s my golden retriever, because that would reduce her to a possession. . . She is my partner, my friend, and the greatest living creature on the face of the earth, bar none." Since I am as much a dog lover as the author, reading the book is like a meeting of the minds.

This is book nine in the series and can be read without having read the previous books. However, I do think most readers will get more out of the series if they have previous knowledge of the characters, especially the background of Laurie and Andy’s relationship, which is low-key in this book. In fact, while I am glad that they resolved some issues from prior books, I wanted more time spent exploring it. While the interaction between Edna and Andy has stayed the same throughout the book, Hinke, Marcus, and Sam have some history that adds to the reader’s perception of the characters, especially Sam and Andy’s lyric talking contest.

One Dog Night is an entertaining book. While I don’t think it is the best in the series, I still had a great time catching up with some of my favorite characters, and it still is a recommended read. If you are a fan, then you look forward to Mr. Rosenfelt’s books as much as I do. If you haven’t read his books, and you love mysteries with great plotting, humor, and a love of dogs, then you definitely need to check out Andy Carpenter and Tara.

Reviewed by Leigh Davis
Grade : B
Book Type: Mystery

Sensuality: N/A

Review Date : August 6, 2011

Publication Date: 2011/07

Review Tags: dogs

Recent Comments …

Leigh Davis

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments