When Wicked Craves
By
Grade : C

While I found this book mediocre at best, Ms. Beck has potential as a creative romance writer. However, since this is the third in the Shadow Keepers series and my first book by the author, I could have used a glossary for all the different creatures and alliances for readers like me who pick up books mid-series and spend much of the time trying to decipher who is who.

Petra Lang is a woman cursed with a touch that brings evil and madness to those she infects. As a result she’s lived a solitary life with no one other than her twin brother for companionship and protection. When she touched the vampire Sergius turning him into a being with enormous power and evil, she did so to save lives – his, hers, and the lives of others – the Alliance was made aware of her existence and came after her with a vengeance. The problem is that most of these events happen outside the perimeters of this book. Scheduled for execution as a result of her gift, Nicholas Montegue, Petra’s advocate and friend of the man she turned, saves her with only moments to spare.

In order to save his friend from evil, Nicholas is determined to find a way to reverse the curse that plagues him and if it helps Petra all the better. However, the Alliance is persistent in their pursuit and they realize quickly there are only a few places or people to turn to find answers. Nicholas also has to figure out how to deal with an impossible attraction to Petra without making a bad situation worse.

Ms. Beck sets her Shadow Keepers series in a unique, paranormal world against a backdrop of poltergeists, ogres, weres, vampires, and other creatures with various powers and abilities. The story is fast-paced and action-packed with no lulls in momentum. Petra is a sympathetic heroine who is spunky and determined with an irreverent wit, though when things get bad, she gets frustrated and has weak moments. While I also liked the hero, he pales in comparison to the heroine.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few things within the story I found problematic. There were simply too many characters with so many abilities I should have made a chart while reading to keep up with those who were good or bad. Additionally, the span of the story occurs over a short period of time and I found it hard to believe in the HEA between two people who hardly knew one another. In terms of conflict, some resolutions felt rushed and simplified in respect to the problems. Suffice it to say, the ending felt anticlimactic and oversimplified and I wanted more.

As far as storytelling goes, Ms. Beck has potential; however, I felt the need for more detail and greater explanations. As a standalone however, When Wicked Craves is basically just average.

Reviewed by Heather Brooks
Grade : C

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : January 7, 2011

Publication Date: 2010/11

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

1. Except for the obvious adult situations, Astrid sounds like she has the maturity of a child with the “no hockey…

Heather Brooks

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x