AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlander movie-SPOILERS in regard to the Outlander series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I've just finished Outlander and am reading it again. Very Happy

I agree that a mini-series would be more faithful to the source material than a movie--like the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

As for the rape scene . . . since the book was told in first person by Claire, they can stick with that and have several scenes where Jaime tells her what happened. There's a reason Gabaldon didn't make it a non-sexual torture scene; the story wouldn't work half as well if the movie made that change.

Also, I think I'd fight to keep the beating scene in. Cutting it out would be too PC. If Claire can forgive Jaime for beating her--and even see the fairness of it--then the director's challenge is to make that happen for the viewer as well?
Yulie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
As for the rape scene . . . since the book was told in first person by Claire, they can stick with that and have several scenes where Jaime tells her what happened. There's a reason Gabaldon didn't make it a non-sexual torture scene; the story wouldn't work half as well if the movie made that change.

I don't think having Jamie tell Claire about it would work in a movie, from a film-making perspective. If it were a smaller film, or something documentary-style, maybe then. It might be possible to have a voice-over of Jamie telling Claire about it during an understated flashback scene, but I don't see that happening, either (explanation to follow).

graceC wrote:
Regarding Jamie's rape scene, I think it can be done without being graphic. There's a movie called 'Sleeper' with Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, etc. It's a movie about a small group of boys who committed a prank that turned into a freak accident that cost a life. These boys then were sent into juveline facilities and while serving their time, they were sexually abused repeatedly by their guards (the lead guard was played by Kevin Bacon). I remember the rape scene shows nothing but prison walls, and black shadows, with the sound of little boys' muffled whimper & cry in the background. There was no sex act on screen whatsoever, but somehow it feels more powerful because it allows your own imagination to run free about the horror that's going on right then.

I've seen Sleepers, and it's a very effective film. But it's also a very different story, with very different characters from Outlander. In a Hollywood movie, I cannot conceive that they wil lshow someone who is a strong, romantic hero being raped. It just doesn't fit with how such men are portrayed in big-budget films.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

I've seen Sleepers, and it's a very effective film. But it's also a very different story, with very different characters from Outlander. In a Hollywood movie, I cannot conceive that they wil lshow someone who is a strong, romantic hero being raped. It just doesn't fit with how such men are portrayed in big-budget films.

I agree with Yulie here, I can't see that kind of thing happening to a very masculine, heroic figure in a big budget movie either. I also can't see Claire getting whipped with a belt by Jamie translating well to the screen. Marital violence on the screen has a much greater impact than it has on the page. It would alienate to many viewers IMO. Even the movie "Closer" which was based on a theatrical play and meant as a serious relationship drama with rather dark undertones glossed over marital violence. There's a scene in "Closer" where one character ( in the movie played by Clive Owen) who was not even meant to be particularly sympathetic hits his wife rather violently after a quarrel, but he didn't whip her with a belt in cold blood as Jamie, the taskmaster did, it was "just" one blow in the heat of the argument and while I have seen that played out on stage, it was left out in the movie version. Perhaps because Owen didn't want to play a wife beater. Also, in the theatrical version you could see that the blow was staged which lessened its impact on the viewer. But in a movie all that comes across as rather frighteningly real.

Kerstin
sandilib

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Xina, I highly doubt they'll show a male rape scene but maybe they'll surprise me. Linda

I might be speaking out of turn, since I have not read Outlander, and I cannot judge how important, long or graphic Jamie's rape is. Nor do I know if he is raped by man/men or woman. But I just wanted to point out that in the movie "Midnight Express", there is a rape scene. You don't see anything, you just know what happens. It is very well done, and adds another layer of gruesomeness (if that is a word) to the whole story. It is a very hard movie to watch, I thought it was excellent and I am glad I saw it, but I will never watch it again.

So it would be possible to set up a scene where you KNOW what is going to happen, without showing anything, thus adding to the tension. Actually I find that our imagination is usually worse than reality, in fiction that is. The idea of what happens is worse than actually seeing it. Of course, it could definitely be a turn off. I can't say I came out of ME feeling fluffy and happy....

Well that's just an idea...
sanalayla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
A friend of my daughter likes Jensen Ackles.....I have no idea who he is, but he has....potential for Jamie?.....
www.jensenacklesfans.com

I'd stand in line for HOURS to see that movie! LOL... I love him in "Supernatural".

I've always imagined Claire to look like the lady in "Bones".

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/emily-deschanel/pictures/emily-deschanel-picture-1.jpg
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Jensen Ackles but don't see him as Jamie. IMO (in my perfect little world), Outlander would be done as a series etc like Rome, and from looking at the previous posts my pick would be the elder Octavian from Rome as the young Jamie and then Vorenus for older Jamie.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Jamie....Kevin McKidd. And he's Scottish with red hair? How perfect is that???
I first saw him in Journeyman and loved him in that. Show canceled and now he is on Gray's Anatomy. Reason enough to tune in every Thurs.

www.kevinmckidd.com

There are better pictures of him, but I'm in a rush.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was talking about actors who really have a presence on screen in another thread about the Errol Flynn movies, and Kevin McKidd is one of those men. His voice is just so deep and he really owns the screen. He's my older man crush at the moment, so I may gush a little. Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
I think I was talking about actors who really have a presence on screen in another thread about the Errol Flynn movies, and Kevin McKidd is one of those men. His voice is just so deep and he really owns the screen. He's my older man crush at the moment, so I may gush a little. Laughing

Yes, and he has very intense eye contact. And he could let his accent out...something he never does on TV. Always the american accent. Crying or Very sad
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
I LOVE Jensen Ackles but don't see him as Jamie. IMO (in my perfect little world), Outlander would be done as a series etc like Rome, and from looking at the previous posts my pick would be the elder Octavian from Rome as the young Jamie and then Vorenus for older Jamie.

I haven't seen "Rome"... do you have pics?
xina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen "Rome"... do you have pics?[/quote]

I haven't seen it either, but Kevin Mckidd was in Rome...here is a pic.

http://thehollywoodnews.com/artman2/uploads/1/kevin_mckidd.jpg
Skrabs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome was fantastic - definitely worth watching IMO. I brought my boyfriend the series for one birthday and watching a couple of episodes every sunday became our little treat. The acting was superb and it was full of sex, lies, politics, war etc...
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an opinion on who should or shouldn't(The movie will never be the book with my own imagination), I just wanted to post about the really yummy pictures. Thanks Wink cheri
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actor who played in Lord of the Rings reminds me somewhat of Jamie in looks, as I imagine him. I think this is Sean Bean?

I also have this Outlander wallpaper on my computer and the drawing of Jamie looks very similar to what I have in my own mind for his character, more so than any I've seen. But being a drawing it's hard to place those features on a real life actor.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda...No, I don't think that is Sean Bean. I don't know who it is. Good pick for Jamie though. I read somewhere that Diana Gabaldon sees Gabriel Aubrey as Jamie. He's Halle Berry's significant other and the father of her child. He's a model...not an actor, although I thought he was funny for his short appearance on that Macy's ad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: